51 – The Lawful Elven Man’s Journey
4.9k 52 157
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you so much for doing this for us, Laws." Zenith let out a deep sigh and said, "With Rudy like he is now and with the babies..."

Laws tucked the letters into his side bag and smiled. "There is no need to thank me, Zenith. After all this time, I would like to think that our families are close enough to not need such formalities."

Zenith smiled and said, "That's true."

It was early morning, before sunrise. Since the trip to the Citadel of Roa would take half the day on horseback, Laws arrived early to make sure he had plenty of time to spare to reach it before sunset.

At the moment, he was standing in the living room, meeting with Zenith before heading out on his journey.

Laws adjusted his coat and checked his bag one more time before glancing over towards Rudy's room. "How is he now?"

Zenith let out a strained smile. "He's better, but I think he's still recovering. Mentally. Physically, he's fine. But it seems that he's been more shocked than we thought he'd be at losing his sight."

Laws frowned. "That Paul... What was he thinking?"

That guy mentioned it to him. Since they talked every day, Laws knew that Paul was planning on heading back to the Asura Kingdom to resolve things with his family. But Laws didn't think that his friend would be crazy enough to knock Rudy out for a whole week just to prevent him from running after Paul.

And then there was the fact that Rudy was blind now too.

Laws's frown deepened and he said, "...You will not mind if I punch your husband in the face a few times, will you?"

"Go for it. And make sure it's at least three times- No. Six."

Laws smiled. "Understood."

The door opened. After that, a gentle-looking woman with light brown hair walked in. Laws's wife.

Zenith's eyes lit up and she said, "Rose! I didn't know you were coming over!"

She smiled and said, "Well. Since my daughter is here and since Laws is going to be leaving for a while, it would be too lonely at home. I hope you don't mind if I impose?"

"No, no!" Zenith smiled and said, "I could actually use the help. Lily is great, but since we can't count on Rudy to help watch the kids or help with chores... I mean, Roxy helps, but she's a bit clumsy."

Rose laughed. "I understand."

Laws looked at the two women and nodded. "Well then. I should depart before the sun rises."

"Oh!" Zenith waved and said, "Thanks again, Laws."

Rose walked over and gave Laws a soft peck on the cheek. "Stay safe, Husband."

Laws smiled and gave Rose a warm hug. "You as well, my Rose."

Rose blushed.

Laws waved and said, "Then I am off. I will make sure to bring back news as soon as I can... Ideally with your husband at my side for a proper accounting."

"I'm counting on you, Laws!"

Laws smiled and then left the house.

Rose had already fitted the horse for travel. His rations were ready and packed, and he was properly equipped. A warm fur coat, his bow, spare knives for close combat, along with his good luck wooden pendant.

Laws mounted his horse and then glanced back at the Greyrat household. Specifically, he looked towards the window where his daughter and Rudy were still fast asleep.

A faint thought crossed Laws's mind. A minor worry.

His cute young daughter sleeping in the same bed as Rudy...

But he quickly brushed it aside.

Unlike his father, Rudy was a pure and innocent child. And the same was true of his daughter. There was nothing between them but a strong and pure friendship.

...Though Laws was beginning to wonder how much longer that would last.

The elven man spurred his horse forward and then frowned, thinking to himself.

Rudy was seven, and the same was true for Sylphiette. That meant there were eight more years until they were adults.

But it was common for love to bloom before then. And while Laws himself did not find his Rose until later in life, he knew that it was unusual. And from how his daughter looked at and cared for Rudy, it was only a matter of time until that pure friendship turned into something more.

"...Perhaps I should make it official?"

He and Rose were already considering it.

Rudy was a well-mannered and talented young child. He also cared for Sylphiette a great deal and genuinely enjoyed being with her. Not only that, but around her, he acted like a proper child and had a relaxed appearance that he didn't show around anyone else.

At the same time, Sylphiette adored him and had gradually become more independent and strong-willed since spending time with Rudy.

They were good for each other. And while they were both still young, it wasn't too early to start laying the foundation for marriage.

Although... There was one problem.

"...Is it fine?"

Laws looked up at the surroundings.

A sliver of the sun had started to peek out over the horizon, giving just enough light to see by.

Snow covered plains. The silhouettes of Buina village in the distance. The towering mountains... and the barely visible Citadel of Roa in that direction.

It was quiet. Not a trace of wind, leaving Laws with just his thoughts.

Which meant that he couldn't be distracted from the troubling problem that came with allowing Sylphiette to marry Rudy. One that he would have to deal with in the future as well.

"...Will you be able to let him go, Sylphiette?"

They hadn't noticed it. Rudy and Sylphiette were best of friends and treated each other without any prejudices or preconceived notions. It didn't matter to Rudy that Sylphiette had green hair or was part elf. And it didn't matter to Sylphiette that Rudy was human.

But it *would* matter later.

Ten years... fine.

Twenty, it was alright.

But after thirty, forty, fifty...

Even if Rudy trained all his life, he was human. And humans had a short lifespan.

A hundred years, max. Realistically, eighty.

Meanwhile, Sylphiette would comfortably live to be at least 200. All the while looking the same as she did when she was 20.

Laws was already dreading the day that he parted from Rose. While they were the same age... While they were both 26 right now, he was already starting to see it. The ravages of time weighing down on his beautiful Rose while he stayed the same...

"No. It is her choice." Laws shook his head and focused on the path ahead.

For now, Laws would just leave them be. As much as he would love to have Rudy as a son-in-law and know Sylphy would be well taken care of, he also didn't want to give them a tainted happiness when they still weren't aware of the future that waited.

So instead-

"Hm?"

A brief flash. In the distance, he saw a pair walking through the snow, barely visible in the morning light.

A man with silver hair and a white coat, bearing a crimson sword on his left side. And walking beside him...

A strange sense of nostalgia. A tightness in his chest that he couldn't explain.

The source of that was a woman walking beside the man. An elf woman with curled blonde hair and amber eyes. She carried a sword and shield with her and wore a revealing short skirt and tunic, even in the cold.

Laws pulled on his horse's reins, slowing its gallop to a trot, staring at the pair. At the same time, he found himself subconsciously brushing his wooden pendant.

The woman paused, turning to look at Laws. When she did, a flurry of emotions passed her face. Regret. Sorrow. Happiness... and then resignation.

"You...?"

A flicker of a memory. A hazy recollection that Laws could barely remember.

A beautiful woman holding him while letting out a sad smile.

The woman turned away, saying something to the man. And then the man turned to look at Laws.

Bright green eyes that seemed to be unfathomably deep and ancient.

"Wait!"

Laws turned his horse towards them.

He didn't know, but he had to find out.

Find out why that woman was so nostalgic. Why his heart hurt when he saw her.

And why that man... why that man also seemed strangely familiar. As if he had seen him before as well.

Laws spurred his horse into a gallop.

The man shook his head and then rested his hand on his blade.

Laws tensed, subconsciously reaching for his bow.

And then the wind kicked up, sending a flurry of snow across in front of him.

Laws was forced to bring his horse to a stop. And when he did, the man and the woman were gone.

But that didn't mean he was alone again.

"Laws Dragonroad?"

A stern and sharp voice called out.

Laws froze.

It was another man. Different from the first.

Silver hair. Harsh golden eyes. He wore a white coat as well, but this man's coat had a fur collar, framing his head as it attached to a billowing cloak.

But more than that... he was dangerous.

A primal instinct screaming at Laws to run.

One that even the horse seemed to feel as it trembled in place.

Laws gulped and then called out. "W-W-Who are you?"

"Mm. Odd." The dangerous man muttered to himself and said, "There should be no reason for Laws to leave Buina village. Especially with Sylphiette being trained under Roxy Migurdia..."

Laws froze.

Sylphiette? Roxy?

Hearing the familiar names, Laws forced down his fear. He glared at the man and then drew his bow, notching an arrow. "Why do you know those names? What are you doing here?"

"...And Laws should not be this fearless as well. Interesting..." The dangerous man shook his head and looked at Laws.

Laws forced himself to not flinch.

"I would not ask you to believe me... but I am just passing through on a whim."

"Your name!"

"...I am Orsted."

"Orsted... Fine." Laws lowered his bow. "...But behave. A King-ranked Water Mage is protecting Buina village, so don't get ahead of yourself."

"King-ranked? Interesting. So Roxy Migurdia reached such a level...?" After muttering that, the man looked away from Laws and started walking off.

The moment he did that, Laws felt a weight lift off of him.

And at the same time, his horse started bolting away.

"H-Hey!" Laws quickly dropped his arrow and placed his bow on his back before grabbing the reins. "Calm down!"

The horse whinnied and kept running.

Laws glanced back at the dangerous man, still worried. But he forced himself to stay calm and focus on his horse instead.

It would be fine. Roxy was there to protect everyone.

Right now... Right now he just had to get to Paul.

Get to Paul and warn him about the dangerous man who showed up the moment he left to go settle his personal affairs.

"...Curses. Why is it that all your good intentions always result in such trouble, Paul?"

157