Chapter 24: Covenant
2.7k 4 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


"I don't hate you, Casimir. You look like a very kind person, but... I can't... I just can't." He shook his head while looking at me with distress in his eyes. "Don't ruin everyone's life just because you felt like it."

While shivering he slowly moved towards me and raised his fists.

"I don't think you can still fight. It's over."

He spat blood and stared at me. "I can still fight."

His body got more devastated than I thought, but at least he can still stand up.

I exhaled. "Look, don't worry, I won't ruin anyone's life. I don't know what you people think about the people of my tribe, but we're not that kind of people. I think? Besides, I'm not doing this shit because I just felt like it, well maybe a little bit, but most of it is because I have a goal in mind, that makes the difference."

He chuckled but his voice was filled with ache. "Are you saying that you have a goal for this place?"

I paused for a second and felt the heat of the sun touching my skin and nodded. "I want to make a safe place where every race can live together in harmony, without fear, without discrimination, just unity." 

He suddenly stopped walking towards me while his eyes were shivering. "A place where all races can live in harmony? A safe place for every race? Aren't you a little naive?"

"Naive? Maybe I am. So you know, I have very little knowledge in this world, all I know is that I can't do it alone. That's why I need you to help me, to build that place I am yearning for. Together, let's find out how far my naivety can take me."

For a few seconds, he remained silent while staring at me with his wide opened mouth. "Tell me, how certain you are that you will never bring ruination in this place? And when the time comes, how sure you are that you can protect..." He shook his head. "That you can... protect everyone dear to us?"

I see now. A place where the ones who have no place to go. This place is what it is. Even for Leal. He's not this cynical just to protect himself, he wants to protect something or someone incredibly dear to him that he cannot afford to lose.

Getting stripped in power means he could no longer protect it just like how he does while in power.

"You want to protect something, but for some reason, I'm certain that it's not just simply the town alone, that something is far more important to you." I breathed out. "Don't worry, I'll help you protect it, whatever it is."

"Is that a promise?"

Wow, that's quick.

"Yes."

It's not that big of a deal, I think?

He paused for a few seconds and nodded. "I just want you to know that you can no longer take it back."

I nodded. "I will protect whatever it is, in return, help me achieve my goal."

Out of a sudden, a puzzling smile emerged on his face. "Then, you've got yourself a deal."

Ahm, what happened to his desperate and reluctant face earlier?

He raised his hand for the crowd to see. "I admit my defeat."

The crowd roared on his signal at the same time all the combat butlers and maids scattered around the area clapped their hands with smiles on their faces.

From the platform, I saw 2 people jump down inside the arena and run towards us.

The next thing I felt was Leo's arms on top of my shoulder. "You did it, boss! You really did kick his sorry ass!"

I shrugged. "I just managed."

I shifted my eyes to Mehrad standing on Leo's back while carrying Misha on his back who immediately went down to hug my waists.

"Congratulations, big bro Casimir."

I chuckled and patted her head. "Thanks."

Mehrad didn't say anything, rather he just nodded at me and as a response, I nodded back.

"Oy, Leal, how does it feel to kiss the ground?"

Leal shrugged. "I can't tell, but it's still less painful than getting knocked out by my own skill."

Leo tilted his head. "Speaking of, I know a loss is a loss, but it's still jarring me why you didn't use your trump card against him?"

Trump card? He still has something he's hiding?

"Hmph, why would I? You know how dangerous he could be once he managed to copy my advanced class skill. He already has your advanced class skill and he will become far more dangerous if he manages to copy mine."

He really still has!

"Oy, are you saying that my skill is weaker than yours?"

Leal shook his head. "Perhaps it is, but that's not what my point is, what I'm trying to say is, he's already that strong after acquiring your strongest skill, imagine him with my advanced class skill, He would be unstoppable and that's the least thing I want to happen, especially that we still don't know what path he's trying to go. Besides, whether I use it or not, I will end up losing anyway."

Make sense.

Leo scratched the back of his head. "You know, Leal, sometimes I really don't get what's running inside that mind of yours."

Leal didn't answer, he shifted his gaze and dwelled his eyes on a certain person that's also one of the members of his mercenaries currently scattered throughout the area with an expression of relief on his a little bit dirty but still good-looking face.

For a person who just lost his governance, he looks so relieved.

He managed to deceive me real good, didn't he?

I aimed my hand at Leal and used my Healing magic.

After some time, he started to walk away from the arena while we're just watching him.

He stopped. "Don't get me wrong, I still don't trust you. And if ever I feel that you're not worthy of my trust or the leadership you earned, I'll deal with you myself." He looked back. "However, you have my word, I will help you achieve your goal, in return, don't forget our deal."

I smiled. "Sure, but you haven't told me yet who is the person you want me to protect."

"What?" Leo's chuckle sounded next to me. "Protect who? Don't tell me the manipulative and cynical Leal has a soft side on someone? That would be crazy!"

On the other hand, Mehrad didn't even flinch.

Leal's eyes instantly narrowed and walked away from us.

"Oy, oy! Don't just leave like that, Leal!" Leo shouted while chasing after him.

"Leave me alone or I'll destroy you!"

2 down, 1 more to go.

And probably the strongest of all the faction leaders. The shadow fairy, Tanya.

111