Chapter 40: Kindness
1.6k 1 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


After dealing with the slaves, I picked Misha up. Her smile immediately emerged on her adorable face the moment she saw me return.

Then, we rode in the ridiculously grandiose white carriage that Tanya appointed to pick us up. As we arrived right in front of the mansion, Tanya was already there waiting for us with Karoon and Gareth.

We walked down and were greeted by them.

"Good day, Mister Casimir." Karoon waved her hand.

"Yo."

Gareth nodded at me and I nodded back.

"Oh, hi little Misha?" Karoon approached Misha and gently pinched her cheek. "You look so cute today."

"How're the human slaves?" Tanya asked while standing a meter away from me.

"They are already on their way, thanks for the carriages that you lent me."

"A meruem saving humans without any particular merit in mind. It makes me wonder what kind of environment you grew up in." She walked past me. "Anyway, We should go now, there's a lot of things I need to show you."

I nodded and faced Misha. "Be a good girl to Karoon while I'm gone, huh, Misha?"

Misha's eyes immediately narrowed upon hearing what I said and tightened up her hold on my hand. "I can't go with you? Why?"

Oh, I forgot to tell her.

I squatted next to her and patted her head. "The place I'm going to is not appropriate for children, you should stay here and play with your big sis Karoon. Don't you like Karoon?"

Her eyes widened. "I like big sis Karoon."

"I like you too, Misha!"

I smiled. "Good. I'll be back shortly after this, so for now, don't cause any trouble for her."

She nodded and hugged my neck.

Yup, I am now an 18 year old with a 10-year-old daughter. I can already see it now.

Now that I think about it, this will be the longest time we're going to get separated since the day we've met. Man, she's the closest companion I have had since I've arrived in this world.

I stood up and walked back inside the carriage while waving my hand on her while she was doing the same.

"Take care, Mister Casimir and Tan-Tan!"

As I closed the metal door of the carriage and sat at the opposite seat where Tanya was sitting. She's crossing her arms and legs while staring at me.

"I'm not implying that it's bad, but aren't you too attached to her? I have no problem with it, you can do whatever you want, but I'm afraid it would cause you huge problems in the long run. There is no fair battle in this world, everyone will exploit everything in order to gain victory. Before you knew it, she's already being used as your weakness." She turned her gaze outside while the carriage was moving. "I just meant to say that you should be careful when it comes to showing your emotions to everyone around you. Genuine kindness is never a weapon, it's a fatal flaw."

I shrugged. "Said the person who has Karoon on her side and willingly helped me."

She didn't respond and just kept her silence. In our whole journey, she remained silent and just watched the road, and I, on the other hand, just watched her watch the road because I didn't have a freaking window in my seat and she's literally the only thing my eyes could reach.

I mean, it's not a bad view so I would take it.

We finally reached our first destination, I wandered my eyes as I walked down from the carriage. We were in front of a huge cave in the middle of the forest. There were a lot of tall trees around the area and I could feel the humidity in the air due to the sun being blocked by the shades of trees.

"Let's go."

I nodded. "Yeah."

We walked towards the huge cave, I saw several people coming out from it, and some coming out from the tents stationed outside the cave.

The one who saw me immediately ran towards me, there's about ten of them. Some of them we're pulling wheelbarrows and carrying their pickaxes. They removed their miner helmets and bowed to me. Some of them were demons and beastkins, but what took my attention was, there were also some humans.

They're blending in really well.

"Greetings, Lady Tanya and Lord Casimir."

Each faction really has a variety of ways of addressing me, aren't they?

"Mito, would you guide us inside? Casimir wants to see the condition of our mining district."

One of the young human miners walked towards us while still bowing his head and putting his white helmet on. "I understand, Lady Tanya." He shifted his gaze on me. "Please follow me, Lord Casimir."

We followed him as he walked ahead.

The interior of the cave was properly lit up due to the lamps scattered throughout the area. We walked down to a long staircase that led us to the inner bottom part of the cave system where we encountered a lot of miners greeting us while hitting the cave walls.

I also saw some minecarts that they were using to transport the stones through the railroad that would lead to the entrance.

If minecarts and railroads are also a thing in this world. Does that mean trains do too? It would be great if we have those vehicles in this town for trading purposes in the future.

As we walked, I heard some of the laughter of the miners but upon seeing us they immediately stood up and bowed to us while still maintaining their smiles.

A bald demon immediately approached us. He's the noisiest one of the bunch laughing earlier.

"Greetings, Lady Tanya and Lord Casimir."

"Oh, it seems you have finally returned, Kado. I was about to replace you, but well, you are already here, so it can't be helped."

But despite the words Tanya said, Kado laughed, and not a forced laugh. A genuinely delighted laugh.

Tanya proceeded to walk away but Kado stopped him by standing in her way.

"Is there a problem?"

Kado repeatedly bowed his head before saying anything. "I just want to say my deepest gratitude for aiding my daughter, Lady Tanya. I don't know what could possibly happen to my daughter if you didn't come to help us that day."

Tanya exhaled and faced him. "I didn't do anything, it was Karoon who came up with the medicine for your daughter, so don't say thank you to me." She walked away.

I quickly followed Tanya and found her narrowing her eyes.

"Is there something funny, Casimir?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. Anyway, what happened to the genuine kindness is never a weapon, it's a fatal fl-"

"Don't say another word."

I chuckled. "I won't... however."

She walked faster and left me behind.

I exhaled as I watched her walk faster.

What a tsun-tsun.

65