Chapter 66: Competition
979 1 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


As we walked around the roads of the Marionette faction, we stumbled upon a street food stall with tons of people gathering in front of it.

It's already noon and I could already feel my stomach growling. Karoon joined the crowd to buy whatever food they were selling and she asked me to wait for her.

After a few minutes, she finally came out with a huge smile on her face while holding four sticks in her hands.

"The hell is that?"

No seriously, the hell is that?

She chuckled while handing over the things that she was holding in me. The thing's tail swayed as it came closer to my face. "It's a grilled rat, try it, it's delicious."

Those really were huge rats impaled to the sticks. The skins were already removed but the shape of the rat was apparent. The orange sauce was slowly falling from the body.

And here I thought, the worst thing they have here was the wild boar eyes.

"Ah." I turned my back to her and attempted to walk away. "I wonder what they have in the restaurant today."

"But I already bought it! I bought 2 for you and 2 for me. You should try it first."

"I hope they have beef stew in there."

"Why are you ignoring these grilled rats? You said you want to have a taste of the street food here?"

I faced her and released a sigh. "Yeah, I get it. I just thought you would bring to a place that has food that you know... simple? Those are freaking rats you are holding, what would you feed me next? grilled frogs?"

"Do you want some grilled frog? I can buy you a stick or 2."

"That's not what I meant." I grabbed the 2 sticks she was handing at me. "You really love this kind of food, aren't you?"

She repeatedly nodded. "I know a place where we can eat and sit. There is a park around here where I occasionally go."

"There is a park in this faction?"

"It's not actually a park, it's just a grassland with some bench in it, but it's beside the forest so the view and the calming wind there is good."

"I see. Let's go there, then."

She walked ahead of me and guided me towards the edge of the Marionette faction. At the boundary of the Eastern part of the faction, where the town and the forest nearby intertwined. In the middle, several white benches were scattered throughout the place for any visitors who wanted to rest.

Just like what she said, the view around here was great. The trees in the forest were swaying as the wind blew towards us, but what arrived us was only the gentle touch of it. The chirping of the birds was resonating around the area, singing along with the pleasant sound the wind was creating.

"I have no idea that there's a place like this."

I brushed my hair up as I walked towards Karoon's location, she's sitting on one of the white stone benches that could fit 3 people. I sat next to her and I was greeted by her gentle smile while looking at me.

I stared back at one of the sticks I was holding with my one hand.

These rats on the sticks were incredibly huge. This was the size of a rat that when you see one lurking in your room, you would definitely run for your life. Even a full-grown cat would never even try to fight this thing.

"Thanks for the meal." I took a bite on the rat's stomach and to my surprise, it was not bad.

The taste was a bit like pork, but very tender, like slowly cooked pork with small legs and tail in it and the sweet and spicy sauce was greatly complementing its taste. I took a bite again to make sure. 

Yep, it tastes better than I expected it to be.

"How's it taste like, Mister Casimir?"

I repeatedly nodded. "It actually tastes good, I'm surprised."

"See? What did I tell you? It's delicious!" She said while munching her food.

"I can't believe I'm eating this weird food and actually liking it."

"Don't call it weird. That's a common food for us, demi-humans. What have you been eating before you arrived here that you didn't experience eating this common food?"

That's what happens when you grow up in the city.

I stared at her and chuckled. "You are right, calling it weird is not a good thing, my bad."

She chuckled. "Apology accepted!"

"I'll eat my second now," I announced while gazing at the forest in front of us.

While eating, we remained silent while feeling the gentle wind kept blowing in our direction.

Why haven't I found this place sooner?

"You know what, Mister Casimir."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry about earlier."

I veered my gaze at her. "For what?"

She looked down. "I shouldn't take your kindness to help me as if it's a bad thing, it's unfair, I think."

"I have already forgotten about it until you mentioned it again. Why? You thought that I looked down at you just because you couldn't bend a metal bar? I'm not."

"I know, but... I couldn't help but feel that way because..."

"Because what?"

She slowly exhaled. "I don't want you to see me as someone who is weak or useless. And when you helped me earlier, even though that wasn't your intention, that's what I felt and it hurt so much."

"Why though?"

She stood up and looked at me with sadness in her eyes. "Because I'm always seeing you as my competition. Even before you arrived. All those ten years, I worked hard to be what I am right now and the least thing I want to happen is to see you looking down at me."

"Karoon."

"I want to be a better person, so Tan-tan could finally see that I have my own worth as well. Even though I know that you already have all of her admiration without even trying or even a competition. All I want is for her to see that I am here too, not just you. I am worthy of admiration too."

Want access to the story's advance chapters? Be my patron and read up to 20 chapters ahead!

41