Chapter 15 Should I Go Naked On Top?
293 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group of horsemen left Steinriver City through the west gate. There were no less than fifty mounts in the group. Most of the people who passed by this group were very familiar with this as they routinely saw the same sights every month.

Dozens of the vanguards at the front had a stronger and more intimidating vibe. It could be seen from the steeds that were armed to the teeth like war steeds.

Their heads were covered leaving the eyes and the mouths; the chest part used steel plates like armor; the sides used chainmail as a cover as protection.

What the riders used was no less fancy. They put on full-body armor, complete with their helmet, arm guards, leg guards, and several other parts that Aria didn't know its name. And also different kinds of weapons according to their own preferences.

While the remaining at the back was like comparing an ugly duck to a peacock. The mounts, the pieces of equipment, even the vibe each of them had were completely at a different level.

Aria who was a member of the back row stared at the new faces at the forefront like armored knights with sparkling eyes, full of awe.

Compared to the cloth armor he was wearing which only covered his upper body, he was one of the poorest in terms of appearance, his broadsword and a set of simple archery equipment had been included.

It couldn't be helped, they were a completely different group from the start; them and Aria together with the guards.

He did not expect that this hunting activity, or what he called regiment training, was not only carried out by the guards of his residence alone but also a 'joint exercise' with the special forces under his father's command.

Of course, he was not familiar with these people; he had never seen them before.

Therefore, he just followed the current. His wish had been granted and it was the best result for him. At least his sister never had this privilege before; not that he knew if Rosalind ever wanted the same thing too.

The horse rides lasted more than an hour, leaving a trail of dust flying along the way.

They started to slow down when the vegetation at the side road started to change. The trees and shrubs gradually decreased, turned into an expanse of meadow.

On the far side of it was the starting of their destination, a deep forest that darkness and danger lurked within.

Aria took a deep breath and put on a determined face. Yeah, that's the true smell of adventure.

"STOP! WE ARE ALREADY IN AKKEDISHA FOREST!”

…..

"What do you think? Pretty cool, isn't it?"

Aria turned in the direction where the voice came from and found a middle-aged bald man approaching him. He snorted in response.

“Nothing much, just so-so.”

"Hahaha, don't be shy to admit it."

Goto sat beside Aria who was resting in front of his tent that was standing straight as they watched the fully armored people line up following the instructions of their commander, Aria's father.

"I used to be like them too. But now I choose to enjoy a more stable and low-risk life.”

Goto continued as his eyes lingered a bit more on them. He paused for a moment, looking at the horizon at the distance, lost in thought.

Perhaps he recalled his past wearing a similar outfit back then, unlike his poor self now.

“Why did you make such a choice?”

"Family reasons," Aria raised his brows, a sign that the answer wasn't satisfying enough.

"That doesn't matter, kid," Goto refused to continue.

“Now, for the hunt that you are going to partake in, I will be in charge of the team. Since you are totally inexperienced, you have to remember, my commands are absolute, okay?”

"I know, you don't have to keep repeating it like that," Aria grunted in response.

“Just to make sure my words reach nothing but that hard brain of yours. I just don't want any mishaps to happen. Otherwise, I can't face your father. He had a more important duty and have to lead his people into the deeper parts of the forest."

Goto said seriously while keeping an eye on Aria's reaction. It was actually a headache for Goto… as well as Garreth with Aria's participation in this training.

Somehow, this boy could persuade his mother to allow him here. Both of them knew very well how overprotective Alisa was to her child. So they couldn't wrap their mind how could this brat trick his mom to make her say yes.

It wasn't that they weren't sure to keep Aria safe, but before they left, Alisa made an ultimatum to Garreth… as well as to him directly. They didn't have to go back home if something wrong happened to her baby boy.

And coincidentally, this hunt concurred with the clearing deeper parts of the forest, which made this hunt a little more risky than usual.

In the past two weeks, several passing merchants and people who frequently hunted in the outermost part of the forest and its surroundings reported the appearance of several tier-2 spiritual beasts and higher.

The increase of their activity in the outer regions wasn't unusual, because it occurred several times throughout the year.

This cleansing operation was for reducing their number and suppressing the activity of more advanced beasts to a deeper region of the forest, reducing the possibility of them entering human living areas.

'This brat really didn't realize he was causing trouble with him here at the wrong time.'

Goto felt helpless with the threat from his boss's wife as he was still watching Aria's face who seemed to be half-heartedly listening to him.

He had no other way to prevent this boy from causing trouble except to deliver the early warning and act when needed later to wipe this brat's butt.

“I really beg you to restrain your misbehavior just this one time, otherwise not only me, but your father is likely to be a homeless man.”

The corners of Aria's lips twitched as he watched the bald man in front of him with a miserable face inviting his pity.

'Alright, maybe Mother had gone too far with her threats this time.'

…..

"Five wolves, the other four will be intercepted by the others, leaving this one for me to handle."

Aria took the stance with his broadsword in front of him as he muttered under his breath. He looked at a wolf-like beast five meters in front of him.

This creature was clearly larger than any wolf he was familiar with. It was almost as tall as himself with metallic gray fur with black edges.

Its eyes were reddish hue. In this slightly poor light forest, they resembled a faint glow of a fire.

It bared its fangs, growling in a deep voice. Perhaps trying to bluff and intimidate its opponent. Its lowered front indicated that it was ready to leap, launching an attack at any moment.

“What nasty fangs! Gotta stay my distance!”

Aria was being extra careful. This kind of beast was famous for its agility and sudden, unexpected attacks.

Luckily he didn't have to worry, someone else was watching his back for the sneak attacks, so he could focus on dealing with this one.

Realizing he was incomparable in terms of agility, he wouldn't kill himself by initiating the first attack.

He just waited, shifting his sword stance to the lower right, as if he was opening his defenses, luring the wolf out.

Obviously impatient with all the waiting, the wolf tried to attack alone, not waiting for the other wolves who were in their respective battles.

It leaped using his strong hind legs and pounced toward Aria. The gap of several meters was crossed almost in an instant.

Its mouth was wide open as saliva splashed everywhere, ready to sink the sharp teeth like a razor on the neck of its prey.

“It's fast!”

Aria frowned at the wolf's speed. However, he was already prepared for the attack.

Just as the attack was about to land, his right foot took half a step to the side, so that his body leaned slightly as if he was about to lose his balance.

But that slight move shifted his upper body from the wolf's attack trajectory.

Still with the same foot, he used it as a pivot to make a spinning move. Simultaneously, his broadsword swing came with the added momentum of the spin, lodged itself on the wolf's left abdomen.

That's the part he's been after. With its feet didn't touch the ground, the wolf couldn't make any maneuver in the air.

And the abdomen was the soft part that didn't have much protection to begin with. Unless it was a bodybuilder that had six-pack abs.

*Slashes*

Although the slash was not enough to split the wolf into two, it was enough to give a fatal injury.

Blood splattered just like that. The wolf let out a howl of pain the moment he fell to the ground.

Hearing a howl from one of them, made the remaining pack of wolves pause for a moment. Seeing one of its kind in that pitiful state, they made a unified move to leave the place as if a spark of intelligence enlightened them.

It's just as they wanted to make a retreat, the other guards with very good coordination made killing moves simultaneously, putting an end to their lives immediately before they got away.

"So they're just holding back? Here I thought they aren't that capable with a long time to handle wolves like this.”

Aria stared at the other pack of wolves being killed off one by one, then he turned back at the first wolf to fall.

It was still breathing, but the energy was starting to leave its body. With blood pooling beneath the body, its life would not last much either.

Its wild eyes were still staring at Aria, but he couldn't read a woman's gaze, much less from an animal.

“Hm, I didn't expect the slash just now to be this destructive.”

Aria noticed that between the pools of blood there were several lumps scattered around. Perhaps they were parts of the internal organs that had been crushed by the slash.

“How does it feel to get your first blood?”

Aria turned his head to the one who spoke. It was his father, Garreth. He was approaching him with Goto trailing behind.

"It's not considered as my first blood, yet. At least not until it dies."

"So, what are you going to do next?"

Garreth stood beside his son, watching his son's first prey. He nodded slightly. He was quite satisfied that his son was calm enough to face the beast for the first time.

Even though this kind of beast was only an unranked one, it could threaten any normal and inexperienced iron-tier rankers who often made a misjudgment.

Although some details had something to criticize, overall he could calmly and confidently judge that his son would not be a weight in the team.

“Hm…” Aria scratched his chin while contemplating his follow-up, “Even though it got a fatal hit and it's only a matter of time before it dies, but I don't think we should waste time waiting. As for the finishing move…”

“This will do!”

Aria took a bow and an arrow from his back, aiming at the wolf's eyes which were still wide open.

Even though he had long since abandoned his arrow training, all those basics all those years that his father had trained him to the bone still imprinted in his memory. With a distance of less than a dozen meters, he believed his accuracy wouldn't be that bad.

If he missed, he had a few arrows to spend. Even if that wasn't enough, perhaps he could borrow several arrows from his father, making it another form of training with a real target.

*swoosh*

Just two arrows as the last one lodged in its eye socket, penetrating the back of the head. Lucky me, Aria thought in relief.

Garreth nodded, confirming his son's decision. It would be very risky to approach an opponent who was injured, without ensuring its life or death.

One sudden desperate strike was enough to kill him when caught off guard.

Now, that he knew his son's conduct would not hinder the other members, he could refocus on his own business. He glanced at Goto at the side, who caught the sign with a serious nod.

"Now, I don't have to worry about you. I will leave you in Goto's hands. Follow his directions, don't cause unnecessary things that can threaten yourself and others."

Garreth moved away from his son and Goto towards his fully armored army which was ready, waiting in the distance.

“I know, you can reassure and focus on your own work, father.”

“Umm,” Garreth nodded, after a few steps, he turned back to his son, staring at him for a while, as if there was something he needed to say, but couldn't.

"What is it, father? Just say what you think,” Aria saw his father's hesitation.

"Try not to get hurt too much, especially the armor cloth you're wearing. It was specially made by your mother for you. It's better if there are no rips or blood on it."

Garreth saw his son's expression darken at his words. He coughed a bit, trying to shake off the awkward atmosphere his words created.

"I'm not kidding. It's for the sake of both of us."

Aria was speechless with his father who put that dead serious face. It made him start to think twice.

He had to prioritize his safety… and his cloth as much as possible before facing off against the danger in the next few days.

'Or should I go naked on top?'

14