Preword
5.3k 29 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daybreak on Hyperion was first published on Baka-Tsuki starting late 2013 as a satirical short story -- which is why the early chapters in particular feels reminiscent of a Japanese light novel.

The story went on hiatus in 2018 due to my dissatisfaction with its structure as well as some personal issues in life. In 2020 I realized there was a way for me to fix my problems with the story and started a full rewrite. For anyone who has encountered the original, this is the Redux version.

Daybreak was written initially as a satirical reflection on power dynamics -- particularly the abuse of power by protagonists placed in a position of privilege -- which we often see in modern pop literature. Since then, the story has become a means for me to reflect upon real-world issues, particularly those of societal, psychological, and philosophical natures, all while having fun with interactions between characters of different values and viewpoints.

If you're bothered by protagonists who lack agency in early story or having to endure harsh circumstances, then this fiction is probably not for you. Similarly, if you're the type who is easily bothered by discussion of real-life topics or are aggressively tribal about your politics, then the contents may also bother you. The protagonist is written as a cultural historian and comparisons to real world issues come often.

In other words, Daybreak is written as an intellectual exploration (so discussions welcomed!) to delve topics in a multi-faceted and entertaining manner, such as:

  • Power dynamics between different social classes.
  • Societal expectations surrounding gender roles.
  • Personality conflicts and the effects of cognitive biases.
  • Clashes of interest between states and power factions.
  • Social contracts between government and people.

If you're interested in a character-driven narrative that explores a society in conflict and isn't afraid of having fun from time to time, then this is probably the story for you. However, if you're bothered by fantasy fiction that likes to brush elbows with reality, then this isn't it.

100