Volume 3 Chapter 2 – Conscientious Choice (Part 1/4)
735 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been months since Pascal last reviewed the Landgraviate of Nordkreuz's tax records and finances. He had been doing it for years now in place of his father, working with Majordomo Karsten who also served as the Landgrave's steward. The late Marshal was often too busy with national affairs and this was a good way for Pascal to receive more training in managerial skills.

The young lord had griped at first that going through account books and ledgers was 'the peak of boredom', only to be rebuffed by his father that 'a general who cannot manage logistics is not a general at all'.

I was such a brat, Pascal chuckled as he checked his available funds.

Pascal's father had always been the frugal type. He was never stingy, as he readily bought what was necessary for propriety, education, and work. However he maintained a simple lifestyle and was never extravagant. His willingness to eat the same food as his soldiers outside formal dinners was one of the reasons why the troops loved him.

It was also why the Moltewitz family home was a repurposed old keep. Sure, the building had undergone significant renovations. However it still had the foundations of a fortification built six centuries ago by the Inner Sea Imperium when they first established a trading post at Nordkreuz.

Now, thanks to Nordkreuz's wealth and their family's modest expenditures, Pascal had a sizable 'war chest' to work with. His father had originally been saving the funds for a major infrastructure project in Nordkreuz, such as a polarity rail from the trade city to the capital city of Königsfeld. However in light of the current situation, Pascal had to repurpose these funds for more immediate goals.

Half the money would be set aside for the city's reconstruction and recovery. The King had generously offered 'interest-free loans' from the national treasury, though Pascal would hardly be setting a good example if he relied only on the Kingdom's wealth and not his own. To hasten the city's recovery he would need the burghers to contribute their own resources, and to encourage that he needed to practice what he preached.

Always lead by example, Pascal thought about the lesson that his father had hammered into him time and again. The late Marshal had said that this was the one leadership trait that surpassed all others in importance, as a leader was nothing if he cannot motivate others to place their trust in him.

The question though was how to best invest this money in Nordkreuz. Public infrastructure such as roads and docks were the priority. But after that? Which shops and trades should he give preference to for optimal economic benefit?

I wonder if Kaede has any ideas from her world? Pascal thought as he looked down to his side.

His familiar was now soundly and peacefully asleep. He could see the slow, rhythmic rising and falling of the comforter over her chest. Her expression was soft and gentle as she slept, while her hands poked out from beneath the bedsheets in a relaxed state.

Time to return to my room and leave her to rest.

Pascal closed the accounting book before standing up from where he had been sitting on Kaede's bed. Contrary to his usual swift and brisk movements, the young nobleman moved slowly so he would not wake her. However, the same did not apply to his thoughts as he continued to think about how to best utilize his funds.

With half his 'war chest' spoken for, the other half would be set aside to help Sylviane retake her throne. Pascal knew enough about war to realize that money, not manpower, was often the biggest resource bottleneck.

The Church might preach about the importance of life in sermons. Yet the reality was that lives were cheap. Even Rhin-Lotharingie, as devastated as its population was by centuries of historic conflicts, could easily levy a hundred thousand peasants to face its foes. However these men also needed officers and equipment to ensure that they not only fought, but fought well. And it was harder to arm and lead a hundred thousand men than it was to conscript them.

Law of supply and demand of labor, Pascal reflected as he stood beside Kaede's bed. Basic work is cheap because anyone can do it. However the more expertise one brings, and the more demanded this expertise is by society, the more one expects to be paid.

Needless to say, the wages of mercenary captains had recently just shot through the roof. Pascal would be better off persuading the King to send more junior officers into Rhin-Lotharingie for 'hands on experience' instead. Yet equipment was a different matter. Sure, the demand for arms and armor in Rhin-Lotharingie was at an all-time high right now. But not every trader was interested in, or even welcome to, business opportunities within the Empire.

Pascal pinched the bridge of his nose as he sighed. I should sleep before I search for new ideas. Preferably when Kaede is awake again.

However, as Pascal slowly opened the room's door and turned back to wave off the lights, he saw Kaede stir as she muttered faintly in her sleep:

"No... don't..."

Her wispy voice was trembling. The small girl had curled up again beneath the comforter with only her face left exposed. Pascal could see faint perspiration rolling down her pale forehead as she turned about in her sleep with hastening breaths.

Another nightmare, he thought sympathetically.

She had been sleeping calmly until just a few minutes ago. It was clear that she felt safe in his presence. But he also needed to sleep...

I guess there is only one thing to do. The young lord snickered before an amused smile spread across his face.

Pascal moved back near the bed before he took off his clothes and neatly folded them over the dresser's chair. He also took a moment to fold Kaede's outfit and place it on top. The girl had a tendency to just leave her clothing strewn over whatever chair or bedcover was available. If it hadn't been for the self-cleaning enchantment on her undergarments, she'd probably leave even her dirty underwear lying about in the open.

You really should have at least a little self-awareness of your image as a girl.

The young man was reduced to wearing only a pair of short breeches. He pulled back the comforter and lay down next to her in the large bed. Then he draped one arm over her side as he gently stroked the silky hair behind her head.

"It is just a dream. You are safe at home." He whispered slowly, and again, and again...

It took only three strokes before her faint shivering stopped. A minute later her breath had calmed down to a tranquil waft as well. Her expression grew peaceful. Her body relaxed and uncurled from its protective ball.

"Sorry for forcing you to go through that during the last battle," Pascal muttered with a wry smile as he gestured the lights off.

He kept stroking her hair until he fell asleep. It was the least he could do for a history student that he had forced into military life.

28