Volume 3 Chapter 6 – Unquestioned Authority (Part 1/3)
523 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaede found herself departing Weichsel just as its people began preparations for a major holiday.

According to the official history of the Trinitian Church, the dragonlord Hyperion had been born on the 'day of the longest night' during year zero of the Dragon Age -- the year when the stellar-nomadic dragonkind made landfall upon this world. Twelve centuries later, this draconic messiah would 'save the world from its sins' by sacrificing his own life to shut down the Abyssal Rift, gateway to the demonic realm where all the evils of the universe manifested in physical form.

It came as no surprise that the image of Hyperion casting the unnamed ritual -- later named the Ritual of the True Cross -- would become the most pervasive symbol of Trinitian belief. The timeline of how this spell came to be would also mark the holy days of the Trinitian Church: when it was approved, when Hyperion led his eleven other siblings to begin casting the spell, and when the dragonlord sacrificed his life to finish the ritual.

The first of these three milestones was on January 19th, when Hyperion made his case before the Triumvirs, the three most powerful dragonlords who governed the rest of their race. After being challenged over numerous issues and being forced to defend his creation, Hyperion at last received permission to cast his spell and bring an end to the Dragon-Demon Wars.

This day was now known as the Epiphany, or 'Liturgy Day'.

It was also only two days away.

Even the inhabitants of a devastated city like Nordkreuz had begun preparing for this holy day. Repairs to the damaged cathedral took priority as the Bishop of Nordkreuz prepared for his all-day mass. Older children decorated the buildings with garlands and ornaments while their parents were hard at work. Meanwhile every restored bakery across the city began producing a triangular confection known as a 'triumvirate cake', which was stacked together in a way that distinctively reminded Kaede of a Hojo Kamon -- a symbol more widely known as the 'Triforce'.

Unfortunately, despite Kaede's interest, she would not remain in the city to see the celebrations. Instead she rode behind Pascal and saluted towards the podium where the King stood to inspect the troops.

The battalion-sized expeditionary force marched down Nordkreuz's main street as they made their departure. The army's martial orchestra filled the air with rowsing music, while countless inhabitants of the city had assembled outside to bid them farewell.

A new cold front had arrived from the North Sea, and a gentle flurry was descending from the skies as they strode along. Kaede had done some shopping yesterday for thicker, velvet leggings and a furry winter coat. The soft, tight fabric that stretched across her legs beneath her short skirt still weren't like the pants Kaede wore before coming to this world. Nevertheless, these 'yoga pants' were the closest garment available while still being considered acceptable for women -- or at least, women of military rank.

Though these are unfairly comfortable compared to men's pants, Kaede thought as she sat in the saddle of a disturbingly immaterial 'horse'.

The Phantom Steed she now rode in was considered the most mana-efficient means of long-distance travel in Hyperion. The spell, when not adapted from its original form by the Knights Phantom, created a semi-physical 'horse' that held good weight and was immune to fatigue. The problem for Kaede was that the mount looked insubstantial. It felt as though she sat atop a sculpted cloud of dense black smoke, which triggered her mental safety alerts even as the mount trotted across firm ground.

Her discomfort only grew worse as the group reached the collapsed south gate and took to the air. The Phantom Steeds climbed into the skies as they accelerated to a full gallop. Kaede felt queasy in her stomach as she rode over the lake's waters at roughly five stories' height and eighty kilopaces per hour. She desperately clung onto the saddle horns with her small hands.

Thank Buddha at least my period is over, the familiar couldn't help thinking.

Perhaps it was a good thing that Pascal didn't trust her riding skills, or lack thereof. He had cast a sticking spell which glued her butt to the saddle. It wasn't comfortable, as she couldn't shift in her seat at all. However it at least ensured she couldn't fall off.

"<What do you think, Kaede?>" Pascal's voice pulled Kaede back to the present.

"<Huh? Sorry, I wasn't listening,>" Kaede replied in a sheepish tone. She had been so caught up staring at the lake's waters beneath her that she zoned out.

"<Pay attention.>" Pascal demanded in a clearly disgruntled tone. "<We are officially on a military operation now!>"

"<Give the girl a break, it's her first time flying in a saddle.>" Ariadne's gentle voice defended Kaede in the telepathic network they shared. "<Kaede, I was asking Pascal if he has a good idea for a unit name. The phantom grenadiers have been officially elevated to knights, and official companies of the Knights Phantom all have unit names. It's a black mark on morale for them not to have one. But the men also can't agree on anything.>"

Kaede gave it a quick thought. Given the Phantoms' modus operandi, the answer seemed quite simple:

"<In my world, there was once a famous formation that advanced so quickly through enemy lines that neither friend nor foe could keep track of it. They called it the Ghost Division.>"

The Samaran girl then paused briefly as she had to remind herself that it was also a Nazi formation. Though it was admittedly led by the chivalrous Erwin Rommel, who even buried commandos who tried to assassinate him with honors.

"<That is oddly fitting,>" Pascal added in amusement. "<Considering during the run-up to the Battle of Nordkreuz, we couldn't even figure out where you were, since you were being led by a madman.>"

"<Who ye calling a madman, you twerp?>" The gruff voice of Colonel Hammerstein responded.

"<Ah, sorry S...>" Pascal had almost called him 'Sir' before remembering they were now the same rank. Though Hammerstein still held seniority and was therefore the official commander of the expedition. "<I did not realize Ariadne looped you in, Colonel.>"

"<You think I'm gonna just leave you alone to build your harem?>" The Colonel snarled as he highlighted the fact that everyone else in chat was a young woman.

In addition to Kaede and Ariadne, there was also Princess Sylviane and Captain Cecylia von Falkenhausen. The young dhampir had been promoted after the successful completion of her mission to bring Elspeth to Nordkreuz, as well as her part during the Manteuffel Incident. She had been assigned to this expedition, along with a squad of the King's Black Eagles, because of her experience working in Rhin-Lotharingie and her close ties to Princess Sylviane.

It was also shrewd for Sylviane to bring them along, Kaede thought.

After all, Black Eagles were the eyes and ears of the King. The information they sent back would be trusted by King Leopold. This meant that as long as Sylviane did well, she would bolster the King's confidence in their alliance and receive additional support.

However, the same Princess also did not take well to Hammerstein's crass remarks:

"<Watch your tongue, Colonel!>" The Princess reprimanded sternly. "<His Majesty the King might look the other way from your profane mouth, but I certainly do not. You will learn to act with due courtesy in the presence of a lady, or by Holy Father's name I will have you taught manners.>"

Scary, Kaede immediately thought back to her decision to keep her head low and not antagonize the Princess. In hindsight, it had definitely proved to be the correct choice.

Even Colonel Hammerstein seemed slightly cowed as he answered:

"<Yes, Your Highness. I meant no offense, just old habits with the men.>" He apologized. "<In any case I agree with the Dame Kaede's suggestion: Ghost Riders would make a fine title, even if I'm no longer the man in command.>" He added with a disgruntled tone.

"<You do not like your new command with the North Wind?>" Pascal asked in curiosity.

"<They're good boys, but morale is low since they're the only Phantoms to be defeated in decades.>" Hammerstein answered before his words turned to complaint. "<My main gripe is the trend. Every time I get a unit up and running, with tight camaraderie and fighting like a well-greased machine, they unroot me to stick me somewhere else! Like the unit I just groomed has nothing to do with me no more! I mean even my sidekick got promoted during Nordkreuz. But me? Still Colonel!>"

"<Colonel Sir, you're lucky you didn't get demoted for what you did in Skagen,>" Cecylia spoke. "<Still, the fact you're always placed to lead units in need of reorganization shows His Majesty's confidence in your abilities to train excellent troops. After all, everyone in Weichsel knows that there's no commander more lionized by his soldiers than you.>"

"<Ha!>" Hammerstein's voice immediately turned jovial. "<Well I certainly do appreciate the King's confidence!>"

It rather amazed Kaede just how easily Cecylia turned Hammerstein's grievances into a reaffirmation of loyalty.

----- * * * -----

 

Unbeknownst to the others, Ariadne was having a private conversation with the Princess. The young lady had been surprised when she received a Farspeak call from Sylviane, even though they were already on the same Telepathy network. She temporary severed her link to the others as she answered the call:

"<Your Highness?>"

Ariadne had met the Princess once before during her time at Alisia Academy. However the reception back then had been... cold, to say the least. Ariadne never understood why Pascal courted her when he was already betrothed. She only knew that her vanity had gotten the better of her at the time. It was a huge boost to her ego to think that even an intellectual like Pascal might prefer her over the Crown Princess of the Empire.

"<Lady Ariadne,>" Sylviane began in a polite, cordial voice as she looked upon Ariadne from a dozen paces away. "<I never had a chance to thank you properly for your actions in helping Pascal and Kaede at Alisia. Perceval told me that you were instrumental in foiling the assassination.>"

Yet despite the warm tone, Ariadne couldn't help but feel more suspicious. The young lady knew from the first time their eyes met that Her Highness did not like her, and not just because of her short courtship with Pascal in the past.

Uncertain of the Princess' aims, Ariadne decided to bow slightly and answered with cautious professionalism:

"<Pascal represents the alliance between Weichsel and Rhin-Lotharingie. It was my duty as a knight of Weichsel to protect him. And I am thankful that Your Highness picked me for this campaign.>"

"<Much as I'd like to take credit, Lady Ariadne, I'm afraid your thanks are owed to General Wiktor,>" Sylviane replied. "<It was he who recommended you to lead the new Phantom company in Colonel Hammerstein's stead.>"

So it was Cecylia's father who granted me this opportunity, Ariadne thought.

After the Manteuffel Incident, it was apparent to everyone in the Manteuffel Clan that they had lost the King's trust. Ariadne knew she was lucky that she had been hospitalized at the time. It kept her from being caught up in the incident and allowed her to still receive her promotion from the air battle.

However, the same could not be said for many other members of her family, who had either been demoted or reassigned to less influential commands. The Duchy of Polarstern had been seized from the main family for General Neithard's treachery -- a move which fractured the Manteuffel Clan as the branch families all cut their ties to limit the damage they might receive from the fallout. Even Ariadne's betrothal to Perceval had been downgraded, as Duke Mathias of Baguette requested a patrilineal marriage which would keep her children from bearing the Manteuffel name.

"<Hence I wanted to tell you, Lady Ariadne, that I still owe you a personal debt of gratitude,>" Princess Sylviane continued with a smile. "<You were able to put aside your differences with Pascal to aid him in his hour of greatest need. And for that I shall forever be thankful.>"

"<Your words alone do me honor, Your Highness.>" Ariadne gave a humble response, mostly as she couldn't think of what else to say.

"<There is one other question I wanted to ask though.>" The Princess spoke next as their eyes met. It immediately made Ariadne realize that this was the real reason why Sylviane began this conversation.

"<Do you resent Pascal for his involvement in the recent incident?>"

It was an astonishingly blunt question for one born into royalty. But at the same time, it also represented Sylviane offering her an opportunity: a direct question that sought a straightforward answer. And judging the sincerity of that answer would help separate treachery from trustworthiness.

Ariadne exhaled the breath she'd been holding without realizing. The problem with being honest was that far too often, the truth resisted simplicity. It was much harder to grasp how one truly felt about a topic as complicated as this. Instead it was far easier to wear a falsified mask.

"<Not particularly,>" the young lady began with uncertainty. Yet it was also the most accurate answer, and she made sure Princess Sylviane knew this by steadily holding her gaze. "<Either my uncle really was a traitor and Pascal simply upheld his sworn duty to family, King, and the Holy Father, or he has been played like a pawn in a plot far beyond our skill.>"

Ariadne then took a brief pause before she concluded: "<in either case, Pascal isn't the one for me to blame. Not for this incident at least.>"

The fact he was to blame for many other complications in their past was left unsaid.

There was no immediate response. It took several moments before the Princess lifted her scrutiny and calmed the atmosphere with slow, gentle nods.

It was also the first time that Ariadne saw Sylviane truly smile at her. Not a fake smile well practiced among aristocrats, but a true smile from the heart itself.

"<Your Highness really has no need to doubt me,>" Ariadne then offered a sincere bonus. "<Given my past with His Grace, it's impossible for anything more than respect to develop between us, and even that His Grace has yet to rebuild. Furthermore, my engagement with Lord Perceval of Baguette is one of true affection, and not mere politics as some would believe.>"

As the Princess' smile broadened ever so slightly, Ariadne realized that her gamble had paid off. At least part of the royal resentment must have come from perceiving her as a potential challenge. Sylviane might even have misunderstood the years of feuding between Ariadne and Pascal as a form of obsession, since love and hate were often two sides of the same coin.

"<It's a relief to hear you say that, Lady Ariadne, not only of Pascal but also of Perceval,>" the Princess confirmed it with a seemingly casual reply. "<It has become clear to me that Lord Perceval is a man of great moral integrity, one whom I would be blessed to have as an advisor in the future. As such, I certainly wish the best for your marriage.>"

The young lady's eyes swelled. To hear such confidence from the Crown Princess certainly heralded a bright future for her husband-to-be.

However Sylviane still wasn't finished:

"<If there is any time in the future when you need a favor from me, please do not hesitate to ask.>"

A personal favor from the Princess, Ariadne's eyes widened to the size of saucers as she realized just what she had received. She had heard that the Princess was a generous lady. But this was a huge boon that anyone who understood politics had to appreciate!

"<Thank you, Your Highness, truly.>" A slightly-awed Ariadne responded with a humble bow.

22