CHAPTER 33
172 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we approached the cities walls witch looked like Mortem city, guess a wall is a wall. Plus it only has to stop waves from destroying the city inside, we went up to a moving section of wall just like back home. Master contacted the guard inside by radioing the frequency or whatever it was called that was on the sign on the wall. The section of wall opened up and went to the side, we entered and while master told the guard his business I was looking out the helm window.

I saw that even the buildings near the walls were much nicer looking and better quality than anything I’ve seen in the empire so far except for Sam’s building In Vi. Lots of wood so clearly it was real wood not that substitute stuff. Plus the buildings paint was not faded, the docks still looked the same as any where else. Master pulled up to dock then radioed whoever manages these docks and left as we waited for him to pay for a week and a half I think it was. He returned and then started talking to Sam.

“You always pay me a lot, it helps cover the journey here but still. The fee for docking here is double what I pay any where else, I always forget that until I get here.” he told her.

“A wealthy city is some where you pay more for everything.” she responded.

“Is this whole city nicer than other ones in the empire?” I asked.

“Half is, the other half is just like your home city. There effectively two different cities and most don’t cross between the two.” she told me.

Sam and Sarah left to get a ride to a hotel but before she left she hugged me. Now it was just me and Master, he started to tell me how we would be treated here.

“Okay Lin, so we will be hated here and shunned even thought I am a citizen they don’t care. They will technically not be able to deny me service in business's but will make it clear that there not happy to serve me. Also unlike every where else in the empire where signs are in English and have a picture of what they sell or do for the illiterate. Here its all in Latin with no pictures so me and you cant read any of the signs at all and if we ask for help one of two things will happen. We will be called dirty commoners or they will tell us the wrong thing. As my slave they cant hurt you but will talk down to you to.” he told me.

“That’s okay, as long as I stay with you I’ll be fine. I don’t care what those wealthy pricks think of us, let them hate us.” I responded.

“We will lock up and leave soon to walk around since were here, I cant afford most things here but still. I want to piss off as many people with our presence as possible, its fun because they will hate us no matter what.” he told me.

“What is the literacy rate in the empire?” I asked.

“I think it was 55 percent are illiterate or somewhat literate in English while the other 45 can read and write in English. I don’t know the Latin literacy rate but it is low, I couldn't read or write until I was 18.” he finished. I didn’t know that most people could not read and write and that master couldn’t either until age 18.

We left the boat and walked off the dock, we finally got to the side walk and we stood out so much. Every one else and there slaves was dressed nicer than us, some looked at us for a second while others ignored us. We walked around and saw mostly Latin everywhere and barley any English just like he told me. We looked in shop windows trying to figure out what they sold and looking at the prices, 890 nuras for one pair of shoes. I still remember I cost Master 100, we entered one store to look at what we could not afford. No one who work there asked us if we needed help, the furniture was all beautiful but used real wood in a lot of it. We then left before we were kicked out and walked near several restaurants and Master got an idea.

“I want us to go eat at one of these places, it will cost a lot but Sam is paying me very well so one meal is ok. The prices are not listed since if you need to ask then these places are not for you, we will both get one dish only. We will be seated at the worst possible table so be prepared, still it will be fun to see there reactions.” Master told me.

We walked up and Master asked to be seated, the lady at the front was horrified and called over a manager.

He came over and told us “We don’t serve your kind here, poors like you don’t deserve and cant afford to eat here. Now fuck off plebs.”.

“Well actually I am a citizen and she is my slave, I earned mine. So you cant deny us service and we are here on a job so I can afford to eat here, my name is Daniel Oleary and you might have heard of me.” Master told him.

“Well you……..you see………..” the manager was desperate to deny us a meal.

“All you did was save a general who did poorly in the war, he might as well have died.” He finally said clearly.

“You are correct, he was bad at his job and him living changed nothing for the war effort. Still doing that did earn me my citizenship even if he was worthless.” Master responded.

He was shocked that Master agreed with him and wasn’t offended, the man continued “Fine, I guess we will have a short rat infestation today. Will she be eating and sitting to or just stand and watch like slaves should.”.

“If I eat then she does to, that is aloud if I want it.” Master told him.

“I will give you a discount if only you eat.” he responded nervously.

“No, she will sit and eat with me.” Master told him and I couldn't help it and smiled.

“FINE!!!, this way then so we can get this over with.” he told us as we followed him.

 

I will only be uploading chapters on Fridays since I’m going to have more to do moving forward, also I want to say where I got the idea for this part of the story. Back in high school my Latin teacher (I never actually learned Latin) told me a story and it was about a racist country club. Some ones parents were members and they paid a lot of money every month so were constantly inviting people they knew for dinner there so they got there moneys worth out of the club. There son had a friend who was a veteran but was also african american, they both knew that the club didn’t want him to be there. But couldn’t deny him service either, so knowing that his family would get the worst table possible for inviting his friend he went and did just that. Both knew what would happen and were thinking how funny it would be to piss off this country club like this. That night the whole family was eating at the table near the kitchen doors all because of there guest, of course the son and his friend looked back at what happened and thought it was funny while the parents were nervous the whole night.

 

3