CHAPTER 72
252 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had been nervous every day up till today, we had to leave for this job and I didn’t know what to expect. Still we were in our boat and headed for the home of the leader of the Osullivan’s, I was so nervous I wasn’t paying attention to any thing. By the time we got there I wanted to ask if I could stay home, its funny how even after fighting that sea thing a human could still scare me like this. Still I knew how I felt and trying to make sense of it was pointless.

We pulled into there property and It was huge, an entire block owned by one person. Before we left Dan told me to stay calm and reassured me that they wouldn't hurt me, of course I could still be yelled at and other stuff. We left and I was silent while trying not to panic as we left our ship, the whole property was various small structures with one wall like building surrounding everything. The middle was open with water and a way to the street, every thing looked clean and the buildings were surprisingly plain and simple with a few exceptions. Various people including slaves walked around doing various things then I stopped looking around when a man approached us.

He was dressed like we were and looked to be in his twenties like a lot of people, I was told about this family being different in ways so maybe they wouldn’t be so bad. I still remained cautious not to get my hopes up and ignored him.

“Hello your Daniel Oleary I take it?” he asked.

“Yes and your boss wanted the letter he sent me as proof, just in case there was a chance some one else showed up. So here is every letter he sent me.” Dan told him as he handed them over.

“Also just call me Dan.” he added as the servant I think read them over.

“Okay, I’ve confirmed its you. Now I should introduce myself, I’m Michael Osullivan’s assistant Thomas.” he told Dan, not even once so far did he look at me.

“And your slave is accompanying you on this job?” Thomas asked him while only giving me a quick look before he ignored me again.

“Yes, the letter never said my property couldn’t come with me and she is well behaved so there is no need to worry.” Dan then responded.

“Sir Michael will want to have a quick test of her training I’m pretty sure.” the assistant then told him.

“I know the games your boss will play so ill play by the same rules while I’m here, you a non citizen would doubt my slaves loyalty to me?” Dan then asked while changing his voice to sound like a powerful person who was so full of themselves but in a mocking way.

While I now looked at him kinda shocked but honestly I wasn’t surprised he would do that, meanwhile Thomas looked nervous himself. I wanted to laugh at him but choose to do nothing while trying not to smile.

“Im……. im sorry for insulting you, but your faking it so I shouldn’t be sorry.” he then responded before yelling at me.

“Get that grin off your face slave, you think you can laugh at me.” I was told, I didn’t realize that I smiling a little.

“Don’t tell my property what to do, I will scold her if she misbehaves but right now she can laugh at you. That’s fine, now lets get going and see your boss unless you want to play some more.” he was told and we finally started walking. I was happy my smirk didn’t get me in trouble, I didn’t mean to and it just happened.

This was a busy place but I got the impression that there was no city hall rather the current family's head house hold served that role. Not that I needed to be thinking about such things right now, finally we entered the main building surrounding the property. The mostly plain and non luxury theme continued and after entering the main hall we went up 4 flights of stairs. There was real wood through out on the bottom part of the wall and the railing itself as well. It was to show off of course but I liked how it looked, compared to when we visited one of Sam’s buildings. I know she probably hated the interior but had to look the part, Sam wasn’t that kind of person.

After one of the many doors was opened we entered and Thomas closed the door leaving us with a silent man sitting at a desk. Finally he spoke, “Well, well I finally get to meet you in person. And you brought a slave along as well, I’m Michael Osullivan.”.

He was an older man around my height, I think he was the oldest person I had seen so far. His appearance wasn’t scary or pretentious but I was sure he wouldn’t be nice to be around.

“Hey so what are the details of the mission, I still don’t know any major details.” Dan responded disinterestedly.

“Straight to bushiness, so a rat that climbed up the social ladder cant hold a conversation?” he was told.

“Well I’m technically a citizen unlike you so I’m above you, you seem to forget the same rules apply to me. Now you hired me to help keep someone alive while talks happen to resolve whatever fight your in, so lets get to that.” Dan responded.

“You act just like I’ve heard, I can at least respect your spirit and attitude. Still don’t think you are anyone special because of what you earned in life.” the old man responded.

“The rules of this Empire say otherwise no matter how much you hate it, also just curious but how old are you. You must be expecting to meet Hades soon at your age and your money wont be coming with you.” he was then told by Dan. This was getting fun surprisingly with the two men insulting each other with no attempt to hide it. I wasn’t feeling scared at all, granted I couldn’t even speak right now even if I wanted to.

“I’m doing great for 55, like you will ever live as long as me.” he responded.

“Based on how you look that doesn't bother me.” The old man heard then he continued to talk back.

“All we do for this city and this is the thanks I get?” he asked.

“I showed my support when I voted for your governor candidate, with all my votes.” Dan then retorted and Mr Osullivan was pissed off by that. He was going to say something until someone interrupted both of them.

“Sir, we need to get to more than insulting each other so please lets get going.” I heard from behind me. I turned around and saw an Asian man a little shorter than Dan but about his age walk in, he looked annoyed.

“Hello there my name is Ryan Barr, I will be the negotiator you will be protecting. Now Mr Osullivan we should get going.” he told us and we all followed Michael to the first floor, Ryan continued to speak.

“Dan you could have become a very successful senator with your popularity and infamous reputation, you even became a citizen so that would have helped. If you did a good job while remaining popular in this city you could even pull off being an independent senator, lots of people would love to see some one with your back round in power.” he told Dan.

“I know and I have been told that before but I refuse to live that kind of life, I wouldn’t be happy if I lived like that.” he told him and finally we entered a room.

I was surprised and shocked at what I saw, dried blood on the tile floor and a mostly empty table with random stuff in one corner. 2 slaves were locked to the wall by there collars with there hands and feet locked together, both were silent and looked at the ground. Another person was already in the room watching the slaves and moved to one wall to make room for us.

“To have your slave be trusted I need proof she will listen, order her to kill one of these slaves. I don’t care witch one so you pick, both have been bad so I’m disposing of faulty tools anyways and its a great way to test her.” I heard Michael tell him and I now felt a little panicked.

“Fine if you need proof I can provide it, Lin kill the guy on your left.” Dan told me. I hesitated for a second but pulled my gun while the slave still was silent and refused to do anything, I don’t want to do this but if I refused Dan would look bad. I was his so I couldn’t make him look bad and this slave was going to be killed even if I refused so I did it.

“Nothing personal.” I told him then pulled the trigger after the muzzle touched his forehead, I felt bad but also he would have died anyways. His lifeless body fell to the ground with fresh blood on the wall, the other slave now looked at me horrified. She had also refused to move until the sound of me firing filled the room. Still I was happy to make him look good in front of everyone, I walked back after re holstering. My ears were still ringing from the gunshot, didn’t think about the fact I fired a gun in a room with no windows until that. After a few seconds someone finally spoke, we all needed time for us to hear again.

“Impressive, only a second of hesitation when killing another slave. She passed perfectly, I trust her.” Ryan said.

“Fine, she did exactly as I wanted so I can’t complain.” Michael told Dan hesitantly.

“How could you, you been through the same stuff as us and yet you just killed him?” the other slave asked me.

“I’m just obeying my Master, I don’t need to explain anything to you.” I told her then refused to speak as she continued to ask me why. I didn’t want to think or talk about what I just did.

The man who was in the room before us walked over to her and then she was kicked, “Fine ill be nice and I wont shoot you, I will just monitor you instead.” she was told.

Quickly her faces look of relief vanished as the man grabbed the large boxy computer monitor and carried it over. “Don’t worry boss this one is broken anyways.” he said as he walked over to her.

She screamed and tried to move but her fate was already decided, after the first hit on her head she stopped screaming. He kept smashing her head in until blood was pouring out and the monitor screen was broken or red.

“Using a broken tool to dispose of a defective tool, I like it.” Michael said while smiling.

There was a meme I saw years ago saying you are being monitored and the yellow traffic looking sign had a stick figure well doing exactly that. So I can’t take credit for coming up with the idea, still I wanted to recreate that in my story. Also remember witch witch is witch.

 

0