Chapter 3
5.1k 10 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waiting at our designated spot, I stand below a clock post in my getup.

I was wearing a black jacket with a fur collar and red accents, a gray undershirt, and dark-blue pants. With the -ber months coming around the corner, it's been pretty cold lately.

I got there 20 minutes earlier than Amiya and it only took her five minutes after to arrive.

She was wearing a red shoulder cape, red knitted blouse, red denim skirt, and a pair of white thigh highs. Lots of red for sure, guess she's getting into the Christmas spirit a few months early.

"I know it's cold but a shoulder cape?"

"THAT'S your first comment about me?!"

After letting out a quick chuckle, I pat her on the head, "I think you look adorable, Amiya."

She pouted for a moment before looking up at me with a cheery smile. "You don't look bad yourself, mister."

And with that little back and forth done, we step into the train station.

The train ride wasn't anything special. With the festive season nearly here, a lot of people were rushing to get back home, get some gifts for their families, or just have an excuse to travel for a bit. Whichever the reason was, the train was definitely uncomfortable because we had to stand, didn't help that Amiya kept clinging to me.

Stepping out of the train, we're met with the site of a plain field of grass. Behind us was a small town, it looked like it would fit about a hundred people and no more than that.

A realization came over Amiya, judging from her face.

"Isn't this the place your sister would always bring us to...?"

"Yeah, she loved this place, didn't she? Let's get going, yeah?"

"Huh? Sure."

As we both take our first steps onto the grass, a wave of nostalgia washes over us. We haven't been to this in so long that it just felt so freeing, similar to the feeling of going back home after a long time away. It felt familiar, yet foreign.

There were growing trees, a few farms out in the distance, and there was even a small dirt road now.

Looking at Amiya, she looked unsure. Like she was dreading something.

I cup her cheeks and gently guide her gaze towards me. I give her a reassuring smile, a smile that asked for her to trust me.

She weakly nodded.

Grabbing her hand, we both walk on the dirt patch.

As we're walking, the feeling of nostalgia's still lingering on us, we naturally start talking about the person who brought us here; my sister.

"You know, I had a feeling she always liked you more than me," I comment.

"What makes you say that?"

"Heh, well, I would hear her muttering sometimes that she wanted a little sister."

"Hm... Guess that's why she was so excited to meet me for the first time, huh?"

Recalling the memory of when they first met, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. We were still so young, not even old enough to count above 10 when Amiya and I first met each other. Two neighboring kids that always played with each other, it was only natural our family would notice.

"Oh god, yeah. I still remember her almost hugging you to death."

"Yeah, yeah! She traumatized me so much that I didn't even wanna be near her for days!"

As we're recalling our memories together, a clear memory of how we first started dating began to form. We had just entered high school when she came to my room and just asked if I had a crush on her.

"You were such a coward I had to keep asking you though! It took months for you to finally say you liked me!"

"I MEAN COME ON, WHO JUST CASUALLY ASKS THAT TO A PERSON?!" I ask while raising my arms out.

"A person that's had a crush on you for years, that's who! Ehehe."

Her giggle had become something of a signature for her. I don't think I've heard that giggle change through all the years we've been together. We were so inseparable back then, always being together, always bonding, always trusting each other...

Before I knew it, we had arrived at our destination.

On top of the edge of a cliff coast, there lied a singular pink-petalled tree. The tree wasn't naturally grown, it was actually a fake one. The tree had a gray bark and pink, flower-like petals. The tree had multiple branches that extended out in every direction.

In front of the bark lied something, a rock of sort sticking out of the ground. On it was a crudely-written message that said "Here lies the beloved Hina Kahabara."

Hina Kahabara, my sister.

Kneeling down to touch the stone, Amiya looked shocked. Her hands were shaking, her eyes were frozen, and I could hear her holding back her tears. Behind her, I start patting her back as she rests her head on my shoulder.

We spent a few minutes just staying like this, admiring the beautiful, albeit, fake tree that was located at my sister's grave.

The first to break the silence was Amiya.

"When...?"

"...We buried her here on her birthday."

"What? Wasn't that only a few months ago?"

Shaking my head, I force out the words, "She...she died years ago."

Even though she just stared at me with unblinking eyes, I could tell she wanted to ask why how and why she died. It was only natural to want to know, after all.

"You know my sister's always been the clingy type... Even towards us, she would always try to keep us close, even bringing us on her trips to this place. But one day, she just suddenly messaged our entire family telling us her boyfriend had cheated on her."

Briefly looking back at her, I could see her mouth slightly open at the mention of cheating.

"She was devastated. So much so that, after we went to visit her on her birthday, we were informed that she had committed suicide weeks prior."

Amiya then pushed herself onto me. Laying there on the ground, she buried her face onto my chest as she started crying her heart out. Her tears were overflowing and I didn't know what to do but stroke her hair to try and calm her down. It was the same thing my sister did.

She would always stroke my head while saying...

"It's okay, I still love you..."

And so, under that tree my sister had always imagined and loved, laid a strained couple, nearing their break up.

73