CC 11 – Echo
147 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*CLICK*

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

These were the first sounds that Echo heard as they began their life. Echo opened their eyes as light flooded in, allowing them to see the world for the first time.

“You are awake. Welcome to the world, Echo.”

Echo sat up; their gears and joints creaked with their first use. Echo looked towards the voice to see a man with black hair, blue eyes and wearing a white lab coat, they tilted their head.

“I am your creator, your father if you will. You are an automaton I built to be an assassin for Nova ordo.”

‘My father, assassin. Nova Ordo? What does that mean?”

“Take your time to get used to everything. There’s a mirror next to you, if you want to look at yourself.”

That is exactly what Echo did. In the mirror was a short humanoid who had a feminine appearance. They had black hair, purple eyes and was wearing a khaki tunic with khaki trousers and black boots. Over the tunic, they were wearing two white straps that are connected to two bags one on either side. On their head, they wore a cocked hat.

‘This is who I am?’

Echo turned towards their creator to ask about themself but was stopped before they could ask.

“Now let's get you ready for your first mission.”


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

This was all that could be heard as Echo lined up their shot onto their next target. Echo waited and waited for days for the perfect shot like they always have, ever-so-still. 

Echo waited inside of a building and laid prone just behind the window. They were close enough to the window to see out but far enough inside that the barrel cannot be seen from outside. Echo waited days for a representative of the Arc Trading Company to enter their line of sight. The leadership of the rebel cell that Echo belonged to suspected that this man is part of the Sage Coalition and wanted him dead.

Echo looked down through the scope towards the entrance to the government office. Intelligence told them that the target would leave through that door in about ten minutes. Echo focused on their internal clock counting down the time for the target to arrive.

10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

*BANG*

As soon as the representative stepped out of the door Echo fired the bullet which pierced his skull. His body fell to the ground, bleeding heavily. Echo waited a few seconds and confirmed the death of the target. As soon as the target was confirmed dead they vacated the building.

No evidence was left behind.

Echo traversed the town back to base as they hid in the shadows out of sight of the authorities, the bystanders and most importantly the Sage Coalition. 

Echo was built to combat the Sage Coalition so naturally, they are their natural enemy. Echo has never been told why they were fighting, just that they are and that they should just accept it. This could be because if they are captured important information could be lost or it's most likely because no one has ever considered Echo to be an individual.

Ever since Echo was created everyone except their creator has treated them as a tool, a weapon. Echo has never cared for being treated as an individual but for some reason their creator always did so. However, they have never had a reason to be an individual they have always been content with being a weapon.

Echo eventually reached the hidden base. They knock on the door with the secret code, it was opened by the guard. As Echo walked through the door the guard looked at them showing no emotion.

“You’re finally back. What took you so long?”

“Statement – I have been completing my mission as ordered.”

“Tch, your mission was to kill the target and return, not to go shopping afterwards.”

“Expansion – I returned as soon as I had eliminated the target as per orders.”

“Fine, get going. The leadership wants to see you.”

Echo walked down a corridor in the base. The corridor was dark and damp but it made a perfect location for a secret base. It was hidden in a back ally and was underground, which made it hard to detect. The base had been here for a few months now, it sent out small attacks and assassinations to  potential Sage Coalition members.

The corridor opened up to a large room filled with Nova Ordo members. Almost everyone in the room rested and had fun before the next mission they might not return from. Everyone worked hard to stop the Sage Coalition. Echo theirself had been sent out on missions back-to-back with minimal rest in between. Not that Echo needed it as an automaton.

Echo ignored the people around them who had fun. Echo never had a concept of fun or any emotions to begin with. Echo had never faltered on anything except the concept of emotions. 

Why are people happy when having fun? Why do people cry when someone dies? These questions Echo never understood or found an answer to them.

Echo advanced through the building and stopped before the leader's office. No one knew who they truly were, they always hid behind a screen so no one can see them.

“You have returned. I am sure that you eliminated the target?”

“Response – I have eliminated the target as ordered.”

“That is good. As promised, I will answer one of your questions.”

“Inquiry – Why do people cry when someone dies?”

The leader took a few moments to reply.

“If the person that dies is someone they care for they will cry- it is a representation of their sadness over loss."

“Inquiry – Why is death sad? It is but the ceasing of bodily functions. It is natural.”

Once again, the leader takes a while to answer.

“There is no explanation, emotions are never logical.”

The leader paused for a moment. 

“Now it's time for your next mission. You are to eliminate a potential Sage Coalition leader and his family. You will be provided with pictures of the for recognition.”

A side door opened, a man wearing a butler uniform walked in. He carried an envelope that he handed to Echo. When it was opened, it revealed four black and white photographs. One was of a man who looked to be in his thirties, the second was of a woman who also looked to be in her thirties and finally two pictures of their children: a son and a daughter. Also included in the envelope was a map of the targets house.

“Intelligence tells us that they will be returning home tonight. This mission will require a more direct approach than sniping as there are four targets. Eliminate them all as quickly as possible and return here immediately.”

“Confirmation – I understand and will carry out this mission immediately.”

Echo left the office at once and went back into the recreational part of the base. Before leaving, Echo visited the armoury in the base. The armoury was a simple room filled with weapons and ammunition that was maintained by an armourer. Upon entering the armoury Echo turned towards the armourer.

“Statement – I require ammunition.”

The armourer had not replied but stood up and walked towards a cabinet with ammunition. He retrieved the required ammunition and handed Echo the box. Immediately, Echo opened the box, poured the bullets into their ammunition bag and left.

After they exited the base Echo started to advance towards the target’s house. As Echo walked towards their destination they began thinking of the best method of assassination. They eventually settled on entering the house and waiting for them to return to eliminate them once they all enter together.

After Echo settled the issue of which method to use their thoughts wandered back to the conversation about emotions they had with the leader. Echo wanted to learn more about emotions and tried to understand them. This has always been their main goal but Echo does not know of a good way to learn them except through observation.

Echo could easily observe positive emotions in the base but negative ones are harder. After a few years, Echo decided the best way to observe negative emotions was by killing. This was why Echo was always eager to complete missions so that they can try and understand emotions better.


When Echo reached the target’s house they looked for an open window or door. They did not find one so they broke open a backdoor to get in. They moved into the servants quarters, afterwards they moved through the house past the elaborate decorations and to a room near the front door. 

Echo looked at their internal clock. It was reaching the time the target was supposed to arrive. Echo moved into the corner out of view from the window but in the line of sight from the front door. They then pulled out a nine-cylinder revolver with a single-shot shotgun attached and waited. Five minutes later the target and his family arrived.

Echo held the revolver in both hands and pointed it at the door. Echo could hear the sound of a key being inserted and then turned in the door lock. After a few seconds, the door opened. In walked a woman; she was the one who was identified as the target's wife.

*BANG*

Blood covered the walls and floor as her body fell to the ground with a pool of blood. The next thing to happen was a scream. Ignoring the scream, Echo moved towards the target, gun at the ready.

What Echo was not expecting was for the target to be trained in combat. 

The target used his walking cane as a weapon as he ran towards Echo. He swung the cane at Echo ,  however Echo blocked with the revolver and pulled out a dagger. They stabbed the dagger towards the target but he blocked it. Echo moved around the target quickly to try and find an opening. Most of Echo’s attempts were stopped but they eventually found one. 

They cut at the target’s stomach; the dagger went through it and allowed his insides to fall out. After he stood there for a few seconds in shock, the man's body fell with a loud thud.

The children’s screams intensified. Echo walked over to the children and observed them. The children screamed and cried in sadness and fear.

Echo just stood there and watched them.

"I would like to observe them more to find out more about emotions, but orders are orders."

Echo stabbed their dagger towards the daughters. She continued to cry and even started to beg for her life but Echo had no care for her. Echo swiftly cut her throat and silenced her. Much like the others her body went limp and fell. Without any remorse, Echo moved to the son and the same process happened to him.

Echo returned to base, they never looked back.


Echo was in their room cleaning their rifle when a messenger opened the door.

“The vice leader wants to speak to you.”

Without answering Echo stood up and walked past the messenger into the corridor. Echo silently walked down the dark corridor towards the vice leader’s office. When Echo reached the vice leade’s office; they entered immediately without hesitation. A woman in her forties sat behind the desk: it was the vice leader.

“How many times have I told you to knock?”

The woman spoke with a stern but tired voice as if she had not slept in days.

“Inquiry – What is the point of knocking?”

“It’s so that I know you are entering. I am the vice leader so you have to wait for me to tell you to enter.”

“Statement – it is quicker to just enter than waiting outside.”

“Time is not the point. Actually, nevermind. Like always, it is pointless arguing about logic with you. I have called you here as we have entered you into a tournament against the Sage Coalition.”

“Inquiry – why was I not informed?”

“Why do we need to? You belong to Nova Ordo, we don't need your opinion. Honestly, part of the reason we chose you is that if you are destroyed we can most likely repair you.”

“Inquiry – What is the point of the competition?”

“It is the best method we have at fighting against the Sage Coalition and possibly winning. If we can win here, we can stop the Sage Coalition from gaining access to the firemoth silk.”

“Confirmation – I will do my best in this competition.”

“Good. Now as you are not designed for this sort of combat you will be getting some upgrades. Headquarters has allowed us access to some of the more limited and rarer resources we have on hand. Go now, you don’t have long.”

Echo stood up and promptly left the office to get their upgrades.

 

 

 


Character Overview

Name: Echo

Author: Kraken1

Allegiance: Nova Ordo

Age: 10

Race: Assassin class automaton

Bio: Echo was created by Nova Ordo to be an assassin to eliminate mid to high priority targets on or off the battlefield. Since the day they were created they have carried out many different assassination missions. Whether they target is a man, a woman or even a child, Echo will swiftly execute them without mercy or remorse. After 10 years of development, everything about Echo has been optimised to kill in the fastest and most efficient way possible with the limited resources that they have. 

Personality: Echo is not very talkative but very secretive. They complete their missions to the letter and never falter whoever the target may be. Echo does not understand the concept of emotions which often confuses them. Echo likes to keep records of emotions of the people around them to understand them better, but most attempts have failed. When Echo talks, they have a monotone voice and at the beginning of every sentence they speak the ‘purpose’ of the statement.

Appearance: Echo is relatively short compared to the people around them. They have a feminine-looking appearance, but it is mostly covered up by their combat gear. Echo’s combat gear consists of a khaki tunic and trouser, black boots and a cocked hat. Over the tunic Echo has two bags that have straps the cross at the chest and sit to the sides. These bags carry ammunition. (Imagine a British red coat uniform but in khaki)

They have short black hair and purple eyes. Internally they are made of clockwork components powered by a magic crystal as the core (Their main weakness), surrounded by a metal skeleton made of simple stainless steel. On top of the skeleton, they have armoured metal that can withstand any projectile smaller than a 9mm bullet and some light melee attacks. Hiding the metal is synthetic skin which is resistant to cuts but very vulnerable to stabbing attacks. However, it can still be cut easily with not much force. Their hair is also made of synthetic material.

Abilities:

  • Sniper Skills: Echo is a expert sniper rarely missing their target with about an 85% hit rate.
     
  • Deadeye: Once every twelve hours Echo can use a skill that gives them a 100% hit rate. The skill lasts for 2 minutes. 

  • Dual Knives Proficiency: Echo is an expert with two daggers which are their main melee weapons.

  • Strength: Due to being an automaton Echo is stronger than most average humans often able to throw a human without much issue.

  • Speed Loading: Due to being an automaton, with practice Echo achieves rates of fire of 5 rounds a minute with the sniper rifle unaimed and 3 rounds a minute with properly aimed shots.

  • Speed and Agility: Echo is about twice as fast and agile than the average human.

  • Power Surge: Echo can increase their natural abilities by three times the usual for about 10 minutes. Afterwards Echo’s abilities are halved for 20 minutes.

  • Internal Clock: Echo has an in-built internal clock.

  • Calculator: Echo has an in-built pinwheel calculator to help with firing solutions when sniping. 

Weapons:

  • Single-shot Lever Action Rifle: Based on the Martini Henry. A simple single shot breach-loading lever action rifle.

  • Pinfire Revolver: Based on the LeMat grapeshot revolver. It has 9 chambers for 12mm ammunition. Under the barrel is a smoothbore shotgun that can fire grapeshot once before needing to be reloaded. Echo carries an extra 9 rounds that can be reloaded.

  • Twin Daggers: Two simple daggers.

  • Magic-infused Bullets: Echo carries bullets that are infused with mana that can penetrate most armour; they are also faster than a normal bullet fired from a rifle (About 2600MPH). However Echo can only carry six of these bullets as the mana within them interferes with Echo’s core. They carry three bullets for the revolver and also three bullets for the sniper rifle.

  • Flamethrower: In their right arm Echo has a flamethrower powered by a fire crystal. The flamethrower can project flame up to 45 yards. The fire has a slight napalm effect where it sticks to surfaces. However, as the crystal is powered by Echo’s core every 5 seconds that it is used reduces Echo’s speed and agility for 2 minutes.

How they got recruited: Already an experimental automaton built to fight for Nova Ordo. It was an easy choice to send them into battle, given they can likely be repaired if destroyed in one of the matches.

7