Chapter 13: Blank Into Sour
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the soldiers began to clean up the remnants of the chaos worshippers Kuran approached Eleanor tending to Blake asking them, “How is he?” He asked in concern.

“I’ll be fine, thanks to her.” Blake said with a smile, gesturing at his now bandaged leg.

“Not much of a paladin if I can’t even heal a small wound like that.” She joked.

“You call this small?” Blake said bemused.

“Oh please, you’re an adult. Something like this couldn’t stop you.” Eleanor then turned towards Kuran. “Great job out there.”

“Thanks, that was some spell.” He replied.

“Yeah, well my spell wasn’t meant to be that effective. Did you do something?” She asked.

“It’s my sword.” He explained as he presented it towards them, the blade had lost is magical glow but was pristine and shiny as if it had recently been cleaned. “Storm Steel, it’s very good at absorbing magic spells and enhancing the effects.”

“I could use a blade like that.” Blake whistled.

“Well, it is expensive and difficult to obtain.” Kuran said.

The large man with deep walnut shaded skin, Charron approached them. Despite blood being splattered across his clothes his eyes were filled with worry. Kuran sheathed his blade.

“You alright there Blake?” He asked in concern.

“I’ll live.”

“That’s the relief. I’ve got good news too, guess who’s back.” Charron said as he moved out of the way to reveal three other figures approaching.

Leading the trio was the violet half-fae Aron, one person behind him had the slicked back hair and a black goatee, Oskar, along with another man, this man, Kuran did not recognize. He was a tall, lean man with salt and pepper hair, a friendly smile plastered on his face as he walked alongside Oskar.

“Lawrence!” Blake breathed out.

“The one and only.” He said giving a small bow. “You alright there Blake?”

“I’m fine no need to worry.” Blake assured.

“It would take a lot more than that to stop you.” Oskar joked before introducing Lawrence. “This here is Lawrence, one of the gentlemen that we were looking for. Lawrence, this here is Kuran and Eleanor, they helped bring us here.”

“Pleasure to meet you all. My thanks for coming for us.” Lawrence greeted.

“Don’t mention it.” Kuran replied.

“Where’s Sara?” Blake quickly asked Lawrence.

“Safe with Michael, away from the fighting and headed towards the city.” Lawrence reassured.

“You boys did well here, taking out the chief by yourselves along with saving a load of folk, you’ll probably be awarded rather well.” Aron commended them. “Wasn’t there another one in your group?” He asked.

Lawrence nodded, “Yes, little o’ Shawn. He wandered off, should be reconvening with us soon.”

Just as Lawrence finished speaking, they heard rustling from the closet bushes, out of the forest emerged three new people. Kuran recognized flame haired sorcerer, Amelia, however the armoured figure and the boy with night black hair were new to him.

The boy was turned towards Amelia and the armoured figure seemingly discussing something, motioning towards some sort of strange skull staff that Amelia was holding.

“So, is that meant to be a trophy?” The boy asked her.

“More like evidence.” She told him.

“Hey Shawn!” Oskar called out. “Not going to greet us?”

“Oh. There you are.” The boy, Shawn said giving a small nonchalant wave as the three moved towards them. “What happened? Why did fighting stop?”

“The chief’s dead.” Aron informed him.

Shawn gave a look of surprise to Aron, “Huh, don’t usually see half-fae’s around here, nice to meet you.” He then turned to the others, “Charron good to see you, Blake seems that you’ve screwed up again. Also, the chief’s done already?”

“Don’t sound so disappointed. I’m glad that we don’t have to deal with him as well.” Amelia said, leaning her weight onto the staff, a look of exhaustion on her face.

“Need a sit down?” Shawn said.

“Shut up.”

Aron interrupted the two, “Isn’t that the warlock’s staff? What happened to him?”

“Dealt with.” The armoured figure replied with an echoey feminine voice.

“So that’s why the chief lost his magic powers.” Kuran realized.

Shawn stopped in his tracks and stared at Kuran, it seemed that he had just now properly noticed Kuran’s presence. His eyes narrowed.

“Fancy helmet.” Shawn whispered out as he stared down Kuran, moving ever closer towards him.

The tone shifted as Kuran met his gaze, “Thanks.” He slowly replied.

As the two had glared at one another the others watched in awkward silence. The armoured figure’s helmet swiveled towards Shawn and began to speak.

“What’s going on-”

Shawn interrupted, ignoring her question, instead spoke directly to Kuran.

“So… what’s a Pup doing so far from the Litter?” He asked.

As Eleanor mouthed pup in confusion, Kuran returned his question with another one, “What’s Page doing here?” Kuran snapped defensively back.

Shawn now standing two steps away from Kuran scoffed at that question. Giving a dramatic gesture to the area around them he asked, “Do I look like Page? Now stop deflecting Pup, why are you here, where’s the Litter?” His last question turning into snarl.

Kuran inhaled sharply and tensed up, “Don’t have one, I’m not a Pup.” He spat out.

“An abandoned Pup, is still a Pup.” Shawn said leaning in. “In fact, one would argue that an abandoned Pup is worse. Cause, unless I’m wrong, they don’t usually abandon one unless they’re desperate or, more often. It’s sickly.”

Shawn’s pitch-black eyes bore deep into Kuran’s own, who’s eyes flashed back with hostility.

“So, tell me, what makes you so sickly, Pup.” Shawn taunted.

The group around them continued to look at this strange interaction in confusion. They could almost feel the hostility between the two. Kuran had moved his right hand to rest on the hilt of his sword, slowly gripping it tighter.

“Shawn enough.” Oskar demanded.

Shawn stared at Kuran for a moment longer before staking a step back and slowly raised his hands.

“Right, right.” Shawn focused on Blake, ignoring Kuran’s hostile gaze. “How’s the wound? Can you walk or are going to carry you?”

“… I can move.” Blake said slowly after a moment of silence, rising to his feet.

“Hey, be careful now. I may have healed the wound, but you still need rest.” Eleanor advised.

“I will, thank you.” Blake said with a kind smile as he got up, Charron there to support him.

Oskar indicated to his group to leave as they began to walk away Shawn stopped and turned back towards Kuran.

“Never got your name.”

“… Kuran.” Kuran said after a pause.

“Huh, I’m guessing that’s your first and not family. Care to tell me your house name?” Shawn asked with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

“No.”

“Well alright then, oh by the way, as you might have picked up my name is Shawn. Though I guess you can call me Suān, if you want.” Shawn turned back towards his group and headed off without another word.

“So, what was that about.” Aron asked curiously.

“Nothing important. I’m going back. Collect my reward.” Kuran said as he quickly turned and strode away.

As everyone began to move on from this unique interaction and the final chaos worshippers began to be round up, people started to return to the city and collect their various rewards. Some people tried to figure out what caused the chaos worshippers to attack in the first place.

This event marked what was going be  a rather interesting year.

0