Chapter 2
77 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ed gaped nervously at the now fully formed gate. He took a deep breath and unclenched his hand which was now all sweaty due to the nerve-racking situation he was in.

'Okay deep breath... phew... it is just a gate nothing more no need to get so anxious'

Even though he told himself this he had goosebumps all over his arms, as he tried to make sense of what he should do next.

'I should stay away... but I can use this gate to awaken'

Normally once someone reaches a mana count of 100 the hunters association would take groups into E-ranked gates to awaken.

Even though he had a mana count of 836 the association's devices show only the normal portion of it which would make him unqualified for the awakening process.

Making up his mind Ed wandered towards the gate with hesitant steps. Praying that it would not be a dungeon above D grade with sentient monsters.

Ed halted right in front of the swirling gate. The dense mana from the gate prickled his skin. Gritting his teeth he took a leap of faith.

*sizzle*

the swirling gate stoped as soon as Ed entered the rampart mana calmed down the gate was now officially open.

...............................................................................................................

Ed felt a bit nauseous. He slowly opens his eyes to observe his surroundings.

It was a damp dull-lit cave. with a high ceiling and wide passage. The walls were rugged pieces of stone that made up the walls peeking out at multiple places forming ridges. The humid air cause Ed to feel suffocated.

No monster in sight Ed finally relaxed his body and took a breath of relief.

'Okay looks like it's a low-level gate... '

before he could find a hiding spot system prompt appeared in front of Ed's eyes.

[high-density mana detected ]

Ed feel a chill in his bones he felt as if he was being monitored by an entity beyond mighty. Although he noticed nothing in front of him. He felt it.

The way the entity observed him and extended a hand? towards him. As soon as the stretched hand/tentacle reached his chest it penetrated him.

[ Awakening process initiated ]

[ host's consciousness is blocked to protect the host ]

Ed felt discomfort in his chest. He felt as if he had been punctured in his chest. However, before his brain could process the magnitude of pain his senses dulled. In a lucid state, he looked at the system prompts.

[Awakning process finished ]

[ Arranging data ]

In the lucid state, Ed felt as if someone was stirring his brain inside his skull however before his head exploded everything calmed down as his heart started to beat strongly releasing energy towards his brain and healing it.

[ Data arrangement finished ]

Ed's consciousness returned he could finally control his limbs now. He found that he was now lying face down at the entrance of the cave.

Sitting up he massaged his head with his right hand as he peeked down at his chest. Everything was normal he saw no gaping hole as he had visualized.

'well that was odd'

[Congratulations to host for awakning]

[ status window updating ]

As soon as Ed saw the prompt he forgot about his pain as he felt an outburst of dopamine. He looked at his hands and he clenched them.

'im a hunter now ... '

[update finished ]

'oh, right the status window I wonder what rank am I? what class? A warrior would be soo cool right?! '

As Ed looked up with a foolish grin at his face he opened his mouth to open the status window

*sizzle*

The gate behind Ed gave out Bright light. Six broad-shouldered men entered fully armed. At the lead was a muscle-packed bearded baldy with a giant Axe which was covered in glowing red runes.

Ed turned around and stood up. As he faced these men he quickly thought up an excuse however before he could say it... the baldy inquired Ed with a grunting voice.

"What are you doing in the dungeon? do you have a death wish ?"

"Ah that I..."

However, before Ed could explain himself. The baldie interrupted him again and turned to the person to his right.

"whatever... Tran, take him out and call the association. The rest of you organize for scout"

As he said this the individual to his right stepped forward. Also broad-shouldered this guy was a young muscle-packed blond. on his back was a long thick spear with a blue crustal as a spearhead.
Even though he was wearing the lightest armor his footsteps were heavy.

"Follow me"

saying so to Ed he turned towards the exit. Ed followed behind as he apologized to the baldie for the trouble.

...............................................................................................................

Outside Tran glanced to his side.

"you jumped in the gate didn't you"

"excuse me"

Ed surprised turned to face Tran.

"It's quite typical. people unsatisfied by the association reading leap into gates thinking they can awaken without the associations help"

"No uh.."

however, before Ed could make an excuse Tran continued.

"However it seems you were successful "

Shocked Ed asked Tran hoping to get an answer.

"How did you know?"

with a smirk Tran replied.

"Every hunter with a bit of skill can detect motion of mana. As such in humans only hunters have moving mana. The stronger the movement the stronger the person generally"

"so you can detect movement of mana in me"

"yes weak as it is I can indeed detect it that's why Grant let you off so easily"

"...what would have happened if I hadn't"

"he would have roughed you up a bit before throwing you out,"

Tran replied with a mocking grin as he saw the bead of sweat forming on Ed's forehead.

"Think what you want. It is just his way of scaring them so they don't attempt it again "

saying so Tran took out his phone and called The association disregarding Ed.

...............................................................................................................

Inside the association's office, Ed sat silently in his chair opposite to him across the desk was an association employee in a suit. He was a lean man with black short hair and a scruffy beard. Tidying up the paperwork on the desk Mr.Han looked up at the silent Ed with a deadpan face.

"So to summarise the events. The gate according to you opened up right on the place where you stood hence illegal trespassing of the gate was not by choice."

"yes"

Ed replied with a matter-of-fact face. As much as Han was not buying this bullshit he just glossed over it.

"In any case... with a stroke of fortune, you managed to awaken inside the gate. So following the procedures we are to measure your mana and register you as an official hunter. You wish to pursue this career yes ?"

"yes"

"very well we will proceed with the readings the case regarding illegal trespassing will be closed now"

Ed took a breath of relief in his mind. Mr. Han stood up took a pale crystal the size of a finger from his coat and placed a crystal on the desk. He pointed at it and said.

"touch this and try to move the mana inside you. The mana inside the crystal will follow your mana's wavelength and allow us to grade you with accuracy."

'Accuracy... I say bull crap. Tho I wonder if my mana count has increased since I have awakened now'

Half curious Ed placed a finger on the crystal and closed his eyes. He tried to feel the mana inside of him and commanded it to move. The start was slow but surly mana started to gather and range inside of him...but weirdly it wasn't much it was as if the amount has not changed from before...

' Don't tell me ...'

Unnerved Ed opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was the gobsmacked face of Mr.Han following his gaze he turned down toward the crystal and indeed...

The crystal was barely shining with specks of various colors floating around inside. The problem was the amount was pitiful so pitiful it left the two men silent.

"*Cough* that should be enough I'll be right back "

Mr.Hans scurried out the door with the crystal leaving Ed who was still frozen in place. A while after Mr.Han had left Ed now unfrozen said.

"system whats my 'normal' mana count "

[ mana count: 69 ]

' FUCK ME '

Screaming inside Ed banged his head on the desk. It wasn't until Mr.Hans came back that he lifted his head. Mr. Han brought with him a metallic card.

Placing it on the table he slid it towards Ed. As Ed look at the card in front of him he died on the inside again.

"Congratulations Mr.Dantes you are now officially the world first and only F class Hunter"

5