Chapter 3: The Dire Situation
326 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dire Situation

 

My hand dropped.

I stared at the image of the battlefield and flipped it upside down to observe the stars.

"A-- Is that a ship?" It was an odd vessel. Like those of the great seas, but with no sail. It had a mass that rivaled the great leviathans that slumbered deep on the ocean's floor. "How do I fight that?"

I stumbled backwards and fell into my throne. Bowing my head down, I cradled the top of my flaming hair with both my hands to keep myself from screaming up at the ceiling. This was hopeless.

"What if we sheltered here? The light can't touch us inside --" I paused and recalled that I had died twice inside this chamber, killed by something I’d never seen. Could the beam of light travel through my halls?

For the first time, I felt the flow of hot tears streak down my face. I was in utter terror and didn't know what to do. The last of us were to be wiped out, literally. Not a trace of us would exist after that light touched us.

"Death... Death, please help me?" There was no response. Of course, the living had no deals with the dead. Death included. I would have to die once more to beg for Death's assistance.

Letting go of my head, I raised my gaze back to the image of the stars and that ship. Reaching out, I spread my fingers outward to expand the image to the entire cosmos. Death had said that humanity had laid claims on other worlds.

They had. This one ship was a single drop of water in the torrent of rain showering the dark void.

I laughed. Rubbing my eyes, I stared at it again and laughed harder. What help could I gain from Death to fight a legion that could wipe out legions with just one of their number?

Standing back up, I gradually began to make my way out of my chambers. Soon I was at the same window I had jumped from last time. I leaned forward and took a single step out of it.

When I landed, the fissure being replicated as last time, I stood up. Turning to face the shocked faces of my legions, I shook my head. There was no winning this. No survival.

Looking away from them, I walked forward in silence towards the armies of humanity.

After a little while, I could hear the footsteps of my legions following me. There was a murmur among them. It wasn't difficult to guess they were confused about my actions.

Before me, I could see the brightly shining armor and flashing banners of a blended palette of colors. They would be a fair fight, but not what waited up above our heads. The true enemy was watching for the biggest and juiciest target to show itself before it dug in.

I stopped walking.

Looking up at the dark clouds of smoke filling the red sky, I screamed. This time, I didn't hold my head down in defeat. I knew where they were and showed them all I wasn't going to hide from it.

It took a single split second for me to be nothing once more...

 


 

"Hey there! Had a goo-- Whoa, okay. I'll give ya a moment."

Curling up in a ball, I cried. Burying my head between my knees, I kept my expression from the sight of this omnipotent being surrounding me.

"Ah, look... You can win."

Muffled, "I can't."

"Sure you can. Just ask me and I'll make you a deal."

Dealing with Death? That sounded like a horrible idea, but I was far beyond desperate. "What do I need to do?"

"You sure? I mean --"

Upset, I lifted from my knees and screamed at the empty space around me. "You offered, I'm taking it."

"Okeydokey. You'll have to change. What you are now isn't enough."

Letting go of my shins, I looked down at my hands as I wondered what changes I would need to make. "Do it. Whatever it takes, do it." I lifted my palm up to brush away the tears so I might face Death without the shame showing. "Please! I'll do whatever it takes!"

"It will take more. Once you see the change, you'll start getting clues to how to defeat them."

I nodded and waited for Death to give me another chance. "Please?"

"I want you to do something this time. Instead of jumping out of windows, would you go out the front door? There are actually important people you should get to know before going kablooie."

Again, I nodded in acceptance. "I will. Please, Death?"

"On it! I'll catch you in a little while."

6