Part 2 Chapter 2- Opportunity
697 9 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Close to the center of a galaxy in a remote universe. A battle station the size of a small gas giant was under siege, the last remains of all resistance, occupied the station, fighting to the last. Canons both large and small blasting desperately to ward off the oncoming enemy forces.  

However, their enemy was relentless, wave after wave, ship after ship, they came. Until the outer defenses were breached and the enemy that once clawed at their door was now an unwelcome guest. 

Solders brave and true fought the enemy head-on determined not to give an inch. 

Little by little their strength was tested, brought to the brink, and proven inadequate. When all hope was lost the last remaining military leader of the desperate defenders abandoned his post. He ran down the corridors of the station passing by ally both dead and dying, some even crying out for his help. He ignored them, he had to, the last remaining civilians, no, the last remaining beings of his entire culture had to be evacuated. 

They had lost contact with the evacuation team not long after the breach. I have to reach them. He thought. 

He knew the chances were slim, but if they could, by some miracle, escape. 

Standing at the entrance to the great chamber, that held the surviving masses, looking around not seeing any signs of battle or death. The commander sighed, both relieved and confessed, but mostly relieved and glad to the communications loss was likely nothing but an unfortunate coincidence. 

Inserting the code to the door, the commander waited with bated breath to see the scared and terrified face. It the few seconds that door took to open he began to formulate a battle plan to successfully navigate them to the awaiting escape ship. When the door open, he found himself disappointed and horrified. 

Dead bodies littered the floor the makeshift shelter, women, children, young and old. Soldiers walked among the bodies, large is stature, armed and armored to the teeth, with blood staining their fur. the four-armed beings faced the commander with a cackling shout emitting from their snouts. 

It was the sound of delighted laughter. 

"Why? How?..." His voice trailed off, he choked on his words, after all, he could barely believe what he was seeing. Closing his eyes he found his resolve once again and shouted. "Why!? How could you!?" 

The laughter only increased. Looking closer the soldier's eyes were glazed over as if they were drugged. "What's wrong with you!? How could you kill your own!?" The commander could not understand what excuse could possibly justify this. As far as he was concerned not one. 

Drawing his pistol he took aim, ready to execute his treasonous subordinates. An explosion interrupted him, the room shown brightly, too bright for his four eyes to see anything properly. 

The floor vibrated as something heavy he could not see fell. 

"Ahh, so there you are." Someone said. Who, where? The commander did not know.  sounding as if it came from all directions the voice was deep and booming. The commander tried desperately to see who it came from but he still couldn't see anything. "Having problems with your eyes?" The voice then mocked. 

"Who are you? Turn that light off so I can see you!" 

"Turn the light off?" The voice laughed. "Oh, I suppose I could dim myself a little bit."

Dim himself? The commander wondered his question was answered when his sight was no longer a bright blur, but instead a wight wash that illuminated almost every corner of the room. What few shadows existed was as dark as an abyss. After recollecting his thoughts the commander observed his traitorous subordinates kneeling before a large bright, snoutless, fur-less, two-armed, muscular, man with wings sprouting from his back. His skin white and bright as a wight dwarf star, his shoulder-length hair, and feathers a sparkling gold. "Who are you?" The commander asked again.

"Me? Oh, I'm just the man who killed your God, and took over every civilization in your universe." The bright man paused, rethinking his statement "Well... that's not true, is it? Because I haven't killed you yet." 

The commander growled and gnashed his fangs at the statement. How dare he? Killed his God? Ridiculous. The way the bright man said it was equally insulting, so casual, as is it was no big deal. "How dare you!" He charged at his foe prepared for death, and death came. The bright man only flicked his finger through the air sending nothing but air pressure at his opponent, obliterating him.

"Well, that's another universe, for me." Said the bright man.

"Hail Lucifer! Lord of all Demons!" Shouted the possessed soldiers.

"You all know what comes next! Get it done."

The orders he gave were standard and carried out countless times before. For the next generation onward of every surviving species would grow up under Demon rule. The whole of the universe united under one flag. Starvation ended, bigotry outlawed, a cure for every disease and travel between whole galaxies would take no longer than a few hours. 

In return, all they needed to provide was manpower for resource gathering, as well as ship and weapon building. Basically, they were slaves, well cared for but slaves regardless. From the day the next generation is born their fate will be decided. Everything decided for them, nothing left to chance, every talent will be nurtured toward a specific goal, all in the name of Lucifer. 

As the Demons known as possessors left to find a compatible mate for their host, of whom would also be possessed, Lucifer opened a portal to the Demon Universe. 

Marching triumphantly through the gold swirling portal into his throne room he, received praise and worship, his followers glad for the return of the Lord. How he missed the red fleshy walls of Purgatory.

"Ahh good to be back." He said and he meant it, Purgatory was the first universe he had ever conquered, its inhabitants diverse and strong. As for its God, Purgatory was its own God, being unique it that it was a universe-sized organism and the Demons symbiotic with it. Lucifer did not need to kill this God for it welcomed him openly. After all, Purgatory needed to eat like any other creature and it did so by reaching its mouth into the Web of Souls that spun through the multiverse and feasted upon any poor wandering souls that were innocently looking for a new life to reincarnate into. Then after its meal, it would excrete ectoplasm back into the Web the ectoplasm would then come together over time to form new fresh souls.

A small circle of life if you will. Yes, Purgatory needed to eat, and who better to supply that sustenance than a killing machine like Lucifer.

Of all the galactic-based universes out there, Purgatory was truly one of a kind.

"Was the battle satisfying for you Lord?" Asked a strategic advisor who awaited him at his throne. Maorball was his name, Pale skin, bright yellow eyes, skinny body with long legs and arms, and a grin that would give anyone the impression he was up to no good. In truth, he normally was on his best behavior. 

"Indeed, he put up a good fight."

"That's good to hear my Lord, but before you take your rightful seat, I would like to bring something to your attention." 

Lucifer observed his subordinate with curiosity, to stop his lord from having a restful sit after a successful two-century long campaign, would scare most to even think about. Maorball on the other didn't flinch an inch under his lord's gaze. Lucifer couldn't help but admire his nerve. "What is it? Good news I hope."

"Yes, very good news." Maorball's ears twitched with excitement has he spoke. "It's in about the barrier surrounding the Cosma Universe, we have made a hole in it at last."

"What?! At last! Finally, I can settle the score!"

"Indeed the but there is more."

"More?" 

 "Yes, miraculously survivors from our last campaign are returning after being stranded for so many long centuries."

"Survivors?"

"Yes, possessors." 

"Hmm, makes sense."

Possessors were gaseous beings they could hide and move anywhere provided the smallest crack was available. Also, their ability to possess the bodies of others aloud for a more plan sight approach when necessary. This made them indispensable during campaigns.

"Also they report that the hero's that gave us so much trouble last time, well they're gone, sir." 

"Gone!?" The excitement the Lucifer felt was strong enough to be felt like electricity. After the rebellion, he and his followers were exiled only to come here, after he recruited the Demons to his side, and led a second campaign. He sent millions of Demons into the Cosma Universe to sow chaos while he battled the old man. 

It was going well at first but then somewhere a group of beings started fighting back harder than expected. Intelligence from Possessors indicated that these humans were on the brink of destruction but out of know where a planet that had been reported as a human Prison Planet. Upon receiving this news Lucifer looked across the battlefield. Only to see the prince smirking at him. He knew exactly what was going on the crafty bastard. 

Later on, about a century and a half later, he had learned that there was an indigenous race of small winged creators with a great affinity for magic. They had also been gifted by the old man's wife the power of wish-granting. Which explained so many of these human Hero's had such a wide and unorthodox power set. They could just wish for whatever power they wanted, no matter how silly it may seem in practice, it was effective.

It was then settled to refocus efforts on that planet.

Then a few centuries later the barrier happened. Prior we had been pushed back into Purgatory, now we could no longer go back, just chip away at it in hope of eventually going back. Now they could and this time Lucifer was prepared. 

Lucifer grinned. "Send the Harpys in first. they know the plan." Lucifer sat down on his thrown cackling. He couldn't wait to see the look on the old man's face.

He didn't know why the Hero's were gone or why that old fool allowed it to happen, but that would stop him taking over that planet first at foremost.

 

Hello! I'm back! Finally right! Hope you all haven't given up on me. 

My brain is clear and my finances are squared away (at least for now and no thanks to Covid) so I hope to return to at least one chapter a weak. I hope, our governor just made some disturbing remarks today about another state shutdown. God, I hope not! It would kill me if I can't go back to work again. I need money Danm it!

Oh well,. I hope you've all been alright since this BS started. See you next chapter

 

15