Chapter 31- How to Catch a Vigilante Part 5
1.1k 9 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Only 1/16 empty a bottle of whiskey sat on a table in the back of a dock warehouse. Two detectives who were previously drinking away their frustration now found themselves huddled around one of the many bodies that lay around them.

"Damn it! I knew it! I knew I recognized this guy!" Moes shouted in frustration. 

Rob stood by him, holding an open wallet. The ID and badge they found made him sick to his stomach. "There's no getting around it. He was one of us." 

"Why was he even here? Was he undercover or something?"

"Possibly..." Rob looked toward the front of the warehouse a disturbing thought had crossed his mind. "Mmhm, look at where he is, all the guys who came in after us, are over there. This guy, the Vigilante got him."

"Not to defend her or anything, but there is no way she knew that he was a cop. Right?"

"Probably not but..." 

Moes took out his cell phone. "Right let's call up the..." 

"No! Not yet. Why don't you go up front and check the bodies up there I'll check back here."

"For what? More badges?" Moes had crossed his arms, looking more and more uncomfortable. "You really think there are more?"

"I just want to be sure." 

"Ok, but hope you're very, very wrong."

"So do I."

Not a single body went unturned. When finished they reconvened around the bottle of whiskey. 

"Four." Said Moes.

"I found Five." Said Rob.

Both sighed. Moes reached for the bottle. "They could have been undercover."

Rob held out a glass and let Moes pour. "I hope so, but the other option is..." 

"I know I know. What now?"

"First, call make a phone call, this needs to be cleaned up." Rob motioned to the bodies around the warehouse.

"Second hide this." Moes held up the whiskey bottle. "You know before the cleanup crew gets here, and has ideas."

Rob snorted. "Yeah, then we talk to the chef, then maybe, hopefully, the commissioner."

"What a fucking mess." Moes pulled his cell phone out and made a call.


The Hand was pleased and intrigued. Using hidden cameras, he had seen everything, the shootout, the Vigilante's apparent loose moral code as she took all their money and weapons. Then just before he gave the order to have the place stormed, two policemen showed up.

That was unexpected. The hand watched them even now as they discovered that some of their own were in on the attempted assassination of the Vigilante. The Hand made a mental note to watch these two men with caution in the future. For now, however, he needed to focus on what he learned about his target.

She could be manipulated. Sent this way or that depending on how one sent out information. Also, he had confirmation that she wasn't alone. Multiple times she could be seen to talking to someone when no one was there. A headset was the most likely explanation. 

Another thing he learned was that bullets were not much of a threat to his foe. He didn't know how it was possible but he had watched her take a direct hit to the head only to shake it off like it were nothing more than a well placed shot in a game of dodgeball. The Hand wasn't sure how that was even possible, but not much made sense regarding the Vigilante. 

From her disappearing act in the alleyway, that got the whole internet talking, to the superhuman way she jumped around placing shots that should be impossible to make for anyone moving the way she moves. Then made those crates disappear into thin air, if he hadn't seen it himself he wouldn't have believed it. Also, her very appearance, no matter how he looked at her she couldn't be anything but a child, which made her feats even more remarkable. The Hand made it a personal rule never to underestimate anyone, but to do all this at her size was amazing.  

The Hand smiled he never expected this to be a challenge, or to be enjoying himself. Tomorrow would be an interesting day, the day he really put the Vigilante to the test. So far, despite attempts by the city to smear her, the public was split. A lot of older individuals didn't care for her, younger people on the other hand. The internet was full of praise for her deads. 

Although her specific point of origin was still unknown, a general area had been determined. That is where he had arranged this next test and during the day no less. So far she's only been seen at night, this would serve to see if shaking things up in her backyard would provide the world with a day time appearance. 

The event would create a lot of press, and if the Vigilante should fail...

28