Chapter 32- My Wish
1.3k 17 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked out the school bus window, trying my very best to ignore some of the rowdier children. Something I wasn't going to miss, after tonight. One more point was all I needed. One more night out and I would be all set. 

Although things would still be a little complicated. For starters clearing my name, and second, the police have connected me with... Well, me! All because of a license plate that was older than dirt. It seemed like some serious, come back to bite me on the ass, type stuff. Then again maybe I just worried over nothing. 

Yeah right if only things were that easy. I let out a sigh as the bus came to a stop at the school. Just one more night, only have 99 points works out actually. I can say goodbye to those two "friends" of mine. Sure I tried not to get to attach to them, but that Elizabeth was a very stubborn and forcefull girl. So it really couldn't be helped. Just one more night.

"See see see!" Elizabeth was already driving Jeramy crazy by the time I got to the classroom. Hopping up and down on her heels pointing at something on a smartphone screen. "Isn't she cool?" 

"Yeah, sure she's the greatest. Now can I have my phone back?" Jeremy's interest in whatever it was appeared to be exactly 0.

"So what's up?" I wasn't all that interested either, but it was better to get it done and over with. 

"Ah! Lily look! The Magical Girl she busted up a bunch of bad guys last night! See look!"

The hyperactive redhead shoved the phone in my face, forcing on me a close up look at an article written by a local newspaper. "Ahh, yeah, I can see that."

"Isn't she cool?" 

"Yeah, sure she's the greatest." Where have I heard that line before? Also how awkward is my smile right now? Is this how celebrities feel when meeting with their "#1 fans" I can even feel the corners of my mouth twitching. I hope she never finds out the truth. Oh, wait! Just one more night, and I'll never have to worry about it!

Elizabeth had sat down at her desk and was reading the article. "Can I have my phone back?" Jeramy asked reaching for his phone.

 She moved the phone away from his hand. "No."

"What do mean no! You've already read that like five times!"

"I haven't memorized it yet." 

Jeramy's palm went straight to his face. "You've got to be shiting me."

All I could do was sit at my desk and quietly laugh. These two were a real act, and one of the few things I was going to miss after becoming a man again. 

Class began, time went by, a before I knew it lunch had begun. Jeramy and Elizabeth were going back and forth, performing their usually unintended comedy act. Normal day, until. "ALRIGHT KIDS, EVERYBODY AGAINST THE WALL!!" At least five guys, in ski masks, just stormed the cafeteria, Guns in hand.

The man who just shouted proved he meant business by shooting his gun up in the air into the fluorescent light above, causing a dramatic display of sparks and flickering light. The cafeteria was chaos, children were running and screaming everywhere. Teachers came out of the teacher's lounge horror on their faces. 

My reaction was more subdued. Staring deadpanned at the hostile newcomers, with my fork frozen halfway to my mouth. "Are you serious?" 

Elizabeth's reaction was far more natural. "Lily! What are you doing!? Get down!" Elizabeth tackled me to the ground and as for Jeramey to his credit had put himself between us girls and the bad guys.

Soon all the children in the cafeteria as well as from other classrooms were rounded up and brought to the gym. The Teachers were taken and locked up elsewhere. After minutes sirens could be heard outside. Some of the children got their hopes up thinking that the cops would be storming the place. Never happened, instead the man I assumed was the leader of the group made a phone call and began making demands. Millions of dollars. 

Myself, Elizabeth, and Jeramy managed to sit together midway up the gym bleachers. I watched the thugs with a careful eye. Their every pattern of movement and habits. The biggest question on my mind was how to slip away and come back ready to kick ass, or should I? Would it be best to just, let the boys in blue outside do their jobs and wait this out? I was leaning on toward the latter, seeing how slipping away would be difficult and cause more trouble than anything. 

A hand grabbed mine. Startled I looked over at the owner of that hand. Elizabeth wore a worried smile and stated with a small shaky voice. "Everything's going to be ok."

I raised an eyebrow at this statement. She looked scared out of her mind, her hand was even shaking like a leaf. I looked overpassed Elizabeth over to Jeramy, who's hand was also being held. He looked back at me and shrugged. I had a feeling her reassurance was mostly for herself. 

An hour past, of all the thugs down on the gym floor one man besides the leader stood out. He stood out most because he was just so off. Even his buddies noticed. Coming over to check on him, asking if he was "cool" or "doing ok." He was not ok, not from where I was sitting. He was either high or coming down from one in the worst way. I needed to keep an eye on that one the most. 

A flick of movement distracted me for a moment. What was that? I swear something just moved in the rafters. "Hey, I came as quickly as I could." Well, that made me jump. Tulip just came out of nowhere, appearing right by my ear. 

Elizabeth who was still holding my hand, of which I was fairly certain had fallen asleep, noticed that something was wrong. "Hey, are you ok?"

"Yeah, everything cool." 

"It's ok to cry."

I couldn't tell if she was telling me that or herself. "I'll keep that in mind." I returned my attention to Tulip. Not wanting to appear talking to thin air I simply raised my eyebrows at her.

"Hold on a moment, I'll link our mind telepathically." Tulip moved in close and put her palm to my forehead. "Testing, testing 1 2 3. Can you hear me?"

"Yeah, I can." Speaking to her like this caused a light tickling sensation on my brain. "This feels weird."

"I know, but you'll get used to it." She resumed speaking aloud.

"Right so how did you know about this? Your all-seeing eye thing?" 

"It's called the Third Eye, and this little event is all over the news."

"You watch the news?"

"Well no, not me. Miss. Dixon came home early in a panic, so I had to investigate. She's the one who had the news on."

"Right."

"So what's the plan?"

"Just sit here."

"What? Why?"

"Because, I'll do more harm than good if I vanish, then come back guns blazing."

"Really?"

"Yes, points or no points, it's best just to stay put."

"If you say so." Tulip shrugged. "I'll be here if you change your mind." She then sat on my shoulder.

More time passed. The men below were becoming a little more active.

"Everything ready?" I overheard the leader say.

"Yes, sir." Answered one of his minions.

"Aright grab a few kids, make sure they can jerk a few tears." Oh, great now what?

 Men came walking up the bleachers picking out kids who all had one thing in common. They were all damn cute. One thug pointed my way. "Those two will do." Me cute? The stab to the heart my manly pride just took aside, the other one of us two must have been Elizabeth. 

 Elizabeth and I were rudely grabbed by the arm and hauled away, but not without a word from Jeramy. "Hey hands off them assholes!" He tried punching the thug that held Elizabeth.

A backhand to the face ended his efforts quick. "Fuck off kid!"

"Jeramy stop its ok!" 

"Well be find dumbass, don't get yourself killed."

"Listen to your girlfriends kid." The thug who backhanded Jeramy said. 

Poor Jeramy who was flat on his back looked up at the thug rubbing his cheek and looking more than a little pissed of. I had to give him some credit for trying. And to the rest of the student body's credit, he wasn't the only kid who tried to put up a fight when their friends were being taken.

In the end, there were about 20 kids, mostly girls. I somehow managed to take up the rear with Elizabeth in front of me. We were being walked down the hallway to a teacher's office, where a camera had been set up. 

"Alright ya shits, line up out here and wait your turn." Slurred the stoner thug. Why him? Because putting the guy who's on a bad trip, in charge, is totally a great idea. Right? The answer is no.

One by one, kids were taken into the office. Some went in already crying, others calm, only to be in tears after exiting. Come on coppers hurry this up, before I lose it and kill these bastards for you. Seriously making kids cry like this is just low. After coming out of the office the children were then escorted back to the gym.

Finally, it was Elizabeth's turn. The whole time she was putting on her best brave face, which on her freckled face made her look even more adorable, no wonder they picked her. 

After Elizabeth had gone in, it was just me and Stoner Thug. His eyes were bloodshot and skin pale as if he were dead. Worse he wouldn't stop staring at me. I didn't notice him doing this to the other kids, which made it that much creepier. 

"He worries me." Stated Tulip.

"Dude is just high off his ass, but I don't blame you," I replied via telepathy. 

"No, there is more to it." Tulip looked repulsed by him like she was looking at a giant cockroach. 

"Like?"

"I'm not sure just a feeling."

I probably shouldn't do this but, "Hey, buddy smoke any good weed lately."

He looked at me, and looked at me, and looked at me some more. Finally "Tch, heheheheheehehe." Then he looked away.

"See, the dudes just in a really good mood. Hopefully, nothing to worry about." I tolled Tulip.

"I hope your right." Tulip didn't look convinced. 

Elizabeth came out of the office, her brave face still intact, but shaken slightly. She was holding in there, if only just barely. I was kind of proud of her. Stoner Thug pulled her away. Odd seeing how someone else usually did that. Where was that guy? Elizabeth looked back at me, a worried expression on her face. I smiled and gave her a thumbs up. Didn't seem to comfort her much but it was something.

"Alright get here." Shouted one of the thugs inside. 

Let's get this bullshit over with. They stood me in front of a camera. "So, what?"

"Well, you have a Mommy and Daddy right?" The Camera Thug asked. "Why, don't you tell them and the world how much you want to live." 

Oh good god. "I want to live this much." I spread my arms out to signify how much I wanted to live.

"Right..." Camera Thug deadpanned at me. "anything else?"

I thought about it for a moment. "No, not really. Was that bad? Should we do another take?"

The thug at the door was quietly laughing to himself, while Camera Thug didn't seem amused at all. "Just take her the fuck out of here!" He addressed his friend.

"Did you really have to antagonize them?" Tulip asked.

"What are you talking about? Trust me I didn't even try."

"Could have fooled me."

I was escorted back to the gym. I made my way back to Jeramy and Elizabe... Elizabeth? Where was Elizabeth? 

Jeramy seemed to be wondering that too. "Where is Liz?"

"I don't..." I looked around for her. "They've been bringing kids back here, after..." I looked around the bleachers some more. "She should be here."

"Hey, assholes where's my friend?!" Jeramy shouted. 

"Sit down you two!" The Leader Thug replyed. 

"Redheaded girl you took her, but she didn't come back!" 

"Sit the fuck down!" He started to come up to us fists clenched ready to show Jeramy who was boss, but before that could happen. Gunfire rang out. "What the hell, who's doing that!"

Well, that did it, now that shots have been fired the police would be taking off the kid gloves. Soon this would be all over. Except the next sound was a bang far louder than a gunshot, and it shook the whole building. Someone set off an explosion. 

"Tulip, find out who's setting off bombs?" I asked 

Tulip checked using her Third Eye. Her real non-magical eyes widened. "It would appear they have rigged all of the entrances, with explosives."

So, SWAT tried to save us and got their asses blown to hell. My sympathies would have gone out to them but now was not the time. I turned to the Thug Leader to ask a question but stopped. He didn't know, he looked just as surprised as us kids, so did the rest of his men. 

"Hey find however was shooting and setting off bombs!" Thug Leader shouted orders but at this point, his men were too far into panic mode to listen.  

I turned to Jeramy. "Stay here!" 

"What? No, why?" I was already gone. "Hey!" I need to find Elizabeth before something bad happened to her. If it didn't already. I ducked into a maintenance closet and quickly emerged in full combat gear. 

"Show me the way Tulip! Find Liz!" I said no longer bothering with telepathy. 

"That way! I found her!"

"Anyone else? Any other children?" I asked mid-dash.

"Yes, that drugged person, and no one else. Hold on? No. What is he doing?"

"What? talk to me, Tulip!" 

"He's fighting his friends. Well, right now it's just a standoff..."

Gunfire rang through the hallways. "Not anymore." I Turned two more corners. I was just in time to watch Stoner Thug get hit by several bullets. He just stood there as if nothing happened and returned fire. Both of his former peers went down. He then turned around, pointing his pistol to me. Elizabeth's throat was held in his other hand. He kept her in front of him like a tiny shield. 

She gasped for what little air he would allow, and tears that she fought so hard to hold back moments before were flowing freely.

I grabbed a gun from my holster. I didn't pay attention to which. We both opened fire. I hit him square in the chest. His gun made a clicking sound. No ammo. I felt a little smug about that until he reached behind his back for a knife. How the hell was he still alive! He put the knife to Elizabeth's throat. 

"I'm not dropping this gun," I announced. I Hollywood most main characters would, but in reality that's how you get yourself and the hostage killed. 

"Hehehehehehe, to answer your question from earlier. I had great weed. I think on Tuesday. Yeah, Tuesday."

Wait, what did he say? I didn't have time to ask, in one single movement Elizabeth's throat had been slit. Shit, he distracted me! My next shot was a headshot. If that didn't kill him then nothing would. 

I rushed to Elizabeth's side. "Shit Liz! Um, Tulip what can... Tulip?" Tulip was gone. "Tulip!?" I looked one way then the other. Elizabeth gurgled on her own blood. "Tulip!" Come on don't do this to me. Where are you?

"Here." I turned expecting to see her in the air. nothing "Down here." I looked down to see Tuilp limping toward me. 

"What happened to you!?" 

"Attacked."

"By wha... No, it doesn't matter can we save her." I gestured toward Elizabeth who's gurgling noises had less frequent as she suffocated. 

"My magic is gone."

"What! how do we save her!?"

"A wish, you can use that."

That's right that guy would have been number 100, but if I did that then... Screw it! "Do that then. My wish is for Liz to live."

Tulip chanted something in her language then vanished like she would if she were using her warp power. Before my eyes, Elizabeth's wound closed and all the blood in her lungs was coughed out. I dropped to my knees, relived. Tulip reappeared looking completely wiped out. I scooped her up. "Good job."

She smiled at me. "Its what I do. Now if you'll excuse me." She then passed out. Not knowing what else to do with her I put her in one of my inner coat pockets. 

A familiar hand grabbed mine. "Thank you," Elizabeth said weakly. 

"Uh, your welcome." Tulip did that last part, but whatever.

"I'm your biggest fan." 

"You don't say."

"I am." She said just before passing out herself.

That left me with some time to think. How did Stoner Thug know it was me? Did I forget my goggles? I reached up to check. Nope, they were there, right where I put them, on my face. Then how? I'd have to discuss it later with Tulip after she woke up. Speaking of discussions. What did she mean by being attacked? 

As I was deciding what to do next. Heavily armed and armored men came around the corner. SWAT had finally made their way inside. My cue to leave. 

I planed on this being the last chapter of part one, but I think I'll need a follow up chapter just to tie loose ends.

23