Part 2 Chapter 1- Half Way There.
1.3k 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night was clear and the stars abundant in the New Mexico Desert. I waited under those stars doing my very best not to become distracted. A week ago I raided a drug den and came across some documents that indicated a shipment at this very time and place. 

I had myself positioned atop a hill,  lying prone, overlooking the national border. A suppressed AR-30 .338 Lapua at the ready, and a bored Pixie, sitting upon a rock, looking up at the stars, enjoying the view. Or at least that's what I thought... 

"Uhg, I'm bored and I'm cold. when are they going to get here!?" My Pixie friend suddenly exclaimed.

"Tulip, wasn't it you who said that you could look at the stars forever?" 

She looked at me, exasperation showing on her face. "I'm freezing and the novelty of stargazing wore off 3 hours ago."

I looked her up and down, and raising an eyebrow and what I saw. "You're the one who thought it would be a good idea to wear only a tube top and skirt in the middle of fall." 

"Look I grew up in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest, ok!"

Good point but, "Even so, it's only 60 out, I would hardly call that freezing." I found it comfortable actually.

Tulip rubbed her arms for warmth. "Says the person wearing a coat." 

I was about to reply when I light in the distance caught my eye. Looking through the scope on my rifle I could finally see them. "They're finally here."

"Good, let's get this over with."

I watched the black van roll over the flat dry ground. There were two of them, by the looks of it they were having a good time sharing what I suspected to be a joint. Getting high while smuggling drugs, real professionals these guys. 

I just need them to be a little closer...

closer...

just a little more... They turned off the headlights. Target lost.

"Shit." 

"You got this," Tulip assured me.

"Hmm," Time to bring out the big guns. By that I mean magic. Humans don't have the best night vision, but with a little magical assistance, I could improve on that weakness. "I see you." They hadn't crossed the border yet, but I wasn't waiting for them too. They were now close enough for me to shoot with the confidence for a clean kill.

Peffang! goes the suppressed rifle.

Crack! goes the 240 Grain bullet as it broke the sound barrier.

Splat! goes the van drives head.

The passenger flew out of the van in a panic. With a sub-gun in hand, he found the nearest large rock and scrambled behind it before I could get him in my sights. "playing hard to get hmm?"

"I don't think he's come out from behind there," Tulip noted after a minute and a half of waiting.

"We just have to wait him out." 

Tulip rubbed her arms and shivered. "Well, I'm not waiting anymore." With that declaration, she was off. 

"Where are you going?" I hissed as quietly as possible trying not to give away my position. She did not answer and continued charging off in the direction of the hiding smuggler. 

Looking through my scope I could see her buzzing above the smuggler's head. "What is she doing?" 

Then suddenly... "AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" A lot of screaming and fearful sound rambling could be heard from behind the rock. He ran away from his hiding place firing his gun behind him, seemingly at thin air. He emptied his magazine and threw the poor firearm at his imaginary foe. I was so confused, by the time I remembered to take aim he was long gone. His girly screams only but small echos in the dark dessert.  

"Why didn't you shoot him!" Tulip had returned, clearly confused by my lack of action. 

"I'm still trying to figure out what hell I just saw!" 

"I just scared him a little, so you could get him." Her crossed arms and narrowed brows were a good hint that she was somewhat annoyed that I didn't catch on. 

"You could have filled me in beforehand!" I pointed out. Before she could defend herself I asked, "How did you even do that?" 

"Oh, just a little magic-induced hallucination."

"What did you make him see?" I asked while I stood up and swung my rifle over my shoulder.

"Don't know, I'm not a mind reader. I just stimulated his brain a little and whatever he saw came straight out of his own imagination."

"Hmmm, I see." I made a note. Pixies can make your worst nightmares come true. Welp back to business. The Van needed to be destroyed before my job was done. I made my way over to the back of the Van and ripped open the locked back doors, a simple task for me in spite of my girly youthfulness. My enhanced strength never ceased to amaze me. 

The van was full of boxes, and inside box number one, a white powdery substance. "Well Tulip you wanted heat here it comes." I stood back at a safe distance, set my rifle on the ground and prepared a fireball in my hand. As far as magic went this was about as far as I had come to manage since September, but it worked and that what matters. 

I took a stance like a baseball pitcher to help myself aim and threw the ball of fire into the van.

Whooosh! The Boxes went up in flame with no problem. Maybe a little too well actually. The vans window shattered outward and the flames reached a good five feet into the air.

"I think I'll pass on warming myself by that fire," Tulp said pinching her nose shut. "That stinks." 

"Yeah, it does." I agreed, waving my hand in front of my face in a vain attempt to send the stench away.

"Don't these vehicle contraptions normally explode when lit on fire?" Tulip asked.

"Yeah, we should get out of here bef-" BOOM! Interrupted by the very event that I was about to suggest avoiding. I managed to get my hand over my eyes in time and being more durable than the average bear meant the ringing in my ears wasn't a big deal, as I recovered quickly.

Tulip wasn't as fortunate. I looked over to where she hovered just a moment ago, she wasn't there, looking around I found her on the ground a few feet behind me. She was flat on her back spread eagle and rubbing her head, so at least I knew she was alive. "Are you ok?" I asked Kneeling down beside her.

She looked up at with a look of confusion. "WHAT?" She asked louder than necessary. 

Poor girl. "Had your eardrum poped did you?" 

She sat up, her confusion turning to panic. "WHAT?" 

"I'll take that as a yes." 

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Poor thing was now tapping her ears as if doing a mic check. "THE RINGING IS SO LOUD!"

"Don't worry it will come back!" I shouted hoping I could get something, anything to get through to her.

"Ok!" 

At least I hoped so. She was small about the size of a Barbie doll so I wasn't sure if her kind could endure extreme decibels the same way a human could. Then again before I was transformed into a small female child, I thought Pixies were a myth. So what do I know?

"Why don't we go on back!" I shouted while opening up a gateway to my personal pocket dimension. 

"OK!" Her flight was unsteady, but she managed to make her way through ok, shouldering my rifle I followed behind. To find that Tulip had already sat herself cross legged on my coffee table, holding her head with both hands. A green aura spreading over her head from her hands. "Give me a moment would you?" She said opening one eye in my direction. 

"Alright." Assuming she was doing some kind of healing spell I left her to it. 

 I walked upstairs to my bedroom, taking off my coat I got a funny whiff of something like hairspray. Sniffing the air a few times, nothing. "where is that coming from?" I put the black leather coat I held in my right hand to my face and took a deep breath. "Uggg," Found it.

If this is how my coat smells then. I took a whiff of myself. "Oh god." The stench was all over me. I smelled exactly like burning cocaine. "Great now I need a shower before I go back."

Ever since the even changed my life for the worse showers and baths have been the absolute worst. Although I've been getting used to my new form. The reminder that I'm no longer old myself always stings a little. "I'll just have to make it quick. Good thing its a weekend."

After a short time and being satisfied that I no longer smelled like, a burning cocaine van I, got dressed and went back down to check on Tulip.

I found her right where I left her. She was still sitting cross legged, but no longer casting magic on herself. "Are you feeling better?" 

"My head hurts a little, but the ringing in my ears is gone, at least." I felt sorry for her as her tone of voice had a hint of misery to it.

"You're not going to die on me are you?" 

A snort came from the Pixie. "I don't think so. No"

"Good."An odd silence passed between us. "Well, I'm tired, I think I'll head back and catch some Z's. You coming?"

"Yeah." Tulip sluggishly rose to the air. "Ohoooo, Dizzy." After wobbling a little she put her hands to her head, the act of simple take off being too much for her. 

"Need a lift?" I asked thumbing at my shoulder. 

"Yes, please." She greatly fluttered her way over resting herself. 

I opened up a gate back to a horrifying place I affectionately called the Pink Room, for it was decorated in nothing but wall to wall pink. Much like the woman who decorated it. Whom I kindly refer to as Pinkzilla.

Tulip Slowly removed herself from my shoulder. Fluttering upward toward her home, a birdhouse that floated just below the ceiling. While I b-lined for the all pink bed, located in the far corner of the room. "Night Tulip," I said before climbing into bed.

"Goodnight," Tulip Replyed. "Oh and before I forget your halfway there."

"Already? Man, who knew earning points would be so much faster when you expand to other states."

"Well anyway, goodnight once again."

"Right, night."

With that, we both fell asleep, gaining strength for the next outing.

 

Man I hoped to have this out last Monday but I didn't know how to end the chapter. So if this ending seems a little rushed that's why. Enjoy the first chapter of the second part.

Just to give a visual reference for the rifle featured in this chapter.

 

 

 

 

22