Chapter 17- Interrogation and Reflection.
1.4k 8 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When was he going to wake up? I wondered.

I was just in a heated car chase and the man I was chasing lay before me, sprawled out on his belly, and most likely had a concussion. He was middle aged, with a full slat and pepper beard, and my instincts were telling me he was a soldier as well. 

It wasn't that long ago, but I didn't have all night. "So is there a way to wake this guy up?" I asked Tulip.

"In a hurry, are we?" She said it in a manner that was borderline teasing.

I raised my eyebrow at her, she was normally not this cheeky. I mean she wasn't humorless, but still.

"Ok ok." She said taking the hint from my dirty look that she needed to get on it. She flew over and landed on his cheek. Leaning over she appeared to be whispering something in his ear. His eyes snapped open, and he let out a gasp.

quickly getting to his feet he scanned the area and found me. His eyes went wide in panic, he went for a knife. It wasn't there, because I had it. I even waved that fact in front of him. "What? You didn't think that I wouldn't disarm you?" 

"Not that would do me any good. What are you?" He spoke with a thick Russian accent. "A monster?"

I only looked at him a little confused.

"My man shot you, you fell two stories down, not a scratch. Then you chase down our car! No human runs that fast, one your size, especially not."

I had to smile. Ok yeah, I saw what he was getting at here. "Well good Sir, I happen to hail from a faraway planet," I gave a bow. "that was destroyed by its own star, I was sent here as a baby. The last of my kind!" At the last, I poured on the dramatics, putting my hands together, and pointed them upward as if I were praying

The Russian man was not amused. "Don't mock me." 

Unlike the Russian Tulip found this hilarious. She was snickering her mouth under her hand. I found this odd seeing how she was completely uncultured in human media and entertainment. 

"Do you even know what superhero comic I was referencing?"

I was asking Tulip, but the Russian didn't know that. "Yes?"

Tulip was still having a hard time pulling it together. Looking at the spot where she hovered. "Are you good? Can we continue?" What was with her? It wasn't that funny.

Tulip cleared her throat. "Yes, (cough) I'm sorry."

The Russian was looking at Tulip as well. Except for him, it was just dead air. "Who you talk to!? Demons?" He started to back away. 

I had to get things back on track. "Right, my turn to ask questions. Chinatown, what was that all about?"

At first, I didn't think he was going to cooperate, because he turned his head away, then back to me. "Looking for you."

"Me? What I do to you?" 

"Not me, that man I work for. That is all I will tell you." I was careless, he had been backing up in apprehension when I spoke to a being he could not see. I didn't occur to me that he would jump.  I rushed to the edge hoping to stop him, but my carelessness let him back up far from me, too far and was too late. Four whole stories and splat.

"Danm!" Points be damned! He was being cooperative, so I thought I would let him live. Nope, scratch that. 

"Maybe, we should call this a night." Tulip suggested.

"Alright, but..." I stopped when I looked at her. She was looking down at the man who had just jumped to his death. Her hand covered her mouth as when she was laughing earlier. The look in her eyes. It was unsettling. It wasn't the look of horror or shock like you would expect from seeing someone take there own life like that. Was that amusement? Did she think that was funny? Was she hiding a smile under her hand? "Yeah, how about..." 

"Or." She interrupted. She turned to face me and took her hand off of her mouth. The look in her eyes was gone. She was calm. "I'll go back to The Pink Room now. I'll be going to sleep, so I won't see you." She then warped away. 

What was that? Was she having her period or something? Opening a gate to Home I stepped into the garage. I had planned to come back here before going back to The Pink Room anyway, but now I just felt weird about it. 

I had a bad feeling about what I just saw.

I looked down at my little bike. After rolling it in here it must have flopped on its side beside its larger brother the Harley. Poor thing, I ran it hard today. The first time it ran since I was a little boy. 

Pushing the night's events out of my mind, with a great big sigh. I rolled my bike over to the corner I had pulled it out from. Looking up at the walls I looked over the old photograph that hung on the wall. Two people looked back at me with, cheesy grins forever on their faces. One was me sitting on my mini-bike. The other was my father sitting on his Harley. The same Harley that sat in my garage now. The only thing I had left of him.

My father did not have the stereotype biker looks. If anything his appearance screamed, ACCOUNTANT! It didn't help that he actually was an accountant. The balding hair, double chin, gut, and polo shirts, so many polo shirts. Nothing biker about him on the outside at all. Inside on the other hand. He lived and breathed MotorCycles. 

This picture was taken on my birthday if I remember correctly. I started to laugh because the next memory in my head was the two of us riding down to the BMV to get my bike plated. A mini-bike of all things! He wanted to show me a glimpse into the adult world no matter how boring it was. 

I grew up in a small Texas town where everyone knew everyone. So the local Police, being a part of everyone, were cool with me on the road, as long as Dad was around anyway. 

"Well little guy," I said to the little red bike. "You and I have come a long way since paling around with dad." I breathed a deep sigh, "Now we've got cops trying to run us off the road." I knelt down on my heels and gave the little bike an affectionate pat on its little seat, vowing to give it a good tune up, as a reward for its hard work.

Standing up I noticed the gas can I had haphazardly thrown it to the ground while rushing out of here earlier. I put it back where it belonged, realizing when I felt how light it was that I had another problem. I had used up all the gas I had, and I didn't know how much was left it the mini-bikes tank after running as I did. I needed more, but how was I going to pay for it? I would just have to avoid car chases from now on. I was likely halfway to 100 points after tonight anyway.

I went back to my house. I got out of my "Superhero Costume" and into my just my underwear because from here was The Pink Room and bedtime.

Tulip didn't lie when I arrived there wasn't a single sign of her. I looked up at her birdhouse feeling concerned. I shook my head, if I was going to get any sleep tonight I needed to push it out of my mind. Maybe it was nothing, and it was all just my imagination. 

35