Chapter 24- How to Catch a Vigilante Part 3
1.6k 8 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

Self Insert ahead. You have been warned.

[collapse]

Neither Robert Dixon nor his partner Mos had gone home once all week. Every night spent in the department bunk room was taking its toll, Mos was saying his wife's name in his sleep, and Rob was worrying that his new daughter would think of him as a deadbeat at this rate. To top it off others in the department were pitying them. 

For the past three days, people have been leaving fresh coffee and donuts on their desks. Neither Rob nor Mos was complaining, but people making them feel at home while in their workplace was not an encouraging feeling.

It didn't help their morale that, looking for the Vigilante was proving more troublesome than it was worth. Sightings have become less and less frequent as criminals were keeping their heads in the sand.

The case was also becoming far too weird. 

The day after they had looked into Timothy JacksonBurg, a possible suspect in connection with the Vigilante, a man came to the department.

He sat them down in the captain's office. Kicking a very grumpy captain out. The man was tall, pale, hair buzzed, wearing a black suit and sunglasses that he didn't bother taking off indoors. He didn't give his name or which branch of government he was from. To make things even stranger. He looked no one in the eye, his movements were very robotic, and he spoke a flat tone at all times.

"This is the home of Mr. JacksonBurg." the Man in Black explained showing us a video of Timothy JacksonBurg's home. "It was being staked out in case he came back. What you are about to see may shock you."

I light came on, in the house and someone began to speak and music began to play. "Did you bug the place to?" Mos asked.

"No."

"Then how...?"

"I am not a liberty to say."

"SHH." Rob wanted to listen to the voice. There was something off about it. "Do you notice anything?"

"What?" asked Mos.

They had the MIB start the video over. "Hear it?" 

"Yeah." Now that Mos was paying attention he caught on to it too. "There only one speaker."

"A woman?"

"Sounds younger."

"We believe this is your vigilante." Said the MIB

"What? No way." Mos said in disbelief. The MIB said nothing. "Ok fine, then who is she talking to?"

"Start it back when the talking really gets going would you?" Rob asked the MIB. The MIB complied. For a while, in the beginning, there wasn't much of anything except music. So it made sense to start again at the good part.

"Before we start with anything new, I have a question for you." Said the female voice. No one answered. "Why does this exist?" Again no one answered. "I mean my house. If I'm !@#$%^& now then shouldn't Tim be...Like never born or something."

Rob reached over a paused the video. "What was that?" 

"Yeah, a word was garbled, what's that about?"

"A mystery to us also." Answered the MIB.

"And what's this about never being born?"

"Also a mystery."

None of the recordings made much sense. Some of it did, there was a mentioning of, warp powers, which was something that she was seen to have. Other things made no sense at all, at some point she just started laughing, then said something about "Demi-god like being's, getting pushed around."

Then the music stopped. Silence for a long time. Then, "Ha, finally!" Then more silence. 

"So, finally what?" Asked Mos.

"Keep watching." Said the MIB

They watched, and watched, then the house disappeared leaving a big hole where it should have been. The detectives looked on in complete disbelief.

For these two detectives, this case just kept getting weirder and weirder. 

And Mos's alien's theory was getting stronger.

 

Somewhere else the same weekend as the sleepover.

The Hand stood in front of a map. For the past week, he had been calculating the location of Vigilante's posable hideout. based on her point of origin when she went out on patrol. It seemed to change a lot, but The Hand thought that this might be a clever illusion. 

The operation to inquire about the Vigilante in China Town helped make a very defined straight line from point A to B, but he still needed more.

The Hand had taken to the internet to see what he could find. A lot of what he found was nonsense. 

Some compared her to a fictional Japanese sub-genre, known as Magical Girl. The name Magical Girl Midnight seemed to be catching on in popularity. Memes, Fanart, and Fan Fictions as well. One popular Fan Fiction caught, his eye Rise of the Magical Girl Vigilante, it was nonsense and the author was an amateur. Not helpful at all.

The Hand needed to set up another event to lure out the Vigilante. But what? 

Brainstorming he had an idea, there was an old warehouse that the organization no longer had use for. The police were scheduled to raid it the next Saturday. One call the Mayor's office should fix that, and with them, out of the way. The Vigilante might be inclined to do their dirty work for them. 

35