Chapter 6: An Arch-Mage’s Request
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm home."

Hey lad. You have a nice day at school?

"Grandpa what are you doing here?"

What, am I not allowed to come uninvited? Ahakaka!

"Could you tell me more of your story?"

Well you might want to put that big bag o' yours down first! An' next you might want to take a seat!

Now, where were we, I was lookin' through the door o' the town hall, if I remember rightly. Inside was a rather spacious dinin' area, with loads o' bench an' tables spread around the place. No supplies could be seen. What could be seen however, were a few doors. They must be in there, I thought to me self.

I walked over to one o' the doors an' opened it, an' behold I found a bunch o' sacks o' food.
Nead, med, garples, pottle an' more. All o' 'em were fillin' a bunch o' different bags. I didn't know how I were goin' to carry 'em all. I didn't till I looked to me left, at least. There was a wheelbarrow prime an' ready for pushin' all sorts o' goods. I took it out o' the room an' began throwin' the sacks o' food into the wheelbarrow.
Lookin' at the sacks however, I thought to me self, how was one person goin' to eat all this? I treaded along back towards the person from earlier, wheelbarrow in tow.

- Hey, I wasn't sure if I got the right supplies, are these the ones?

- Those are them.

- Really? I was expectin' to be sent back. I didn't expect all this food to be for one person.

- Well, we don't often send people up there due to the risk of the climb, so we need enough for every 3 months.

- 3 months' worth o' food? That's it? This looks like it could feed a family for that long! Also, what was that first part, it seemed really important.

- It's a little dangerous on the journey but you'll be fine.

- Dangerous?

- Just a rather tall summit. There are rigid edges here and there but nothing too bad. We just can't send just any odd person, but you seem capable of yarself.

- Thanks, a bit worried but thanks. So, where is this Arch-Mage anyway, now that I've got everythin'?

- Look up over to that mountain, isn't so easy to miss I'd say.

- True, me self said in agreement, lookin' over at the towerin' peaks ahead.

Much like the carriage driver said, it seemed to be the tallest mountain after all. Wasn't exactly the least anxious from lookin' at the monstrous monolith but I was up for the challenge. 

After sayin' farewell, I set out for the mountain an' followed its stone path, wrappin' around the mountains climbin' stature.

It wasn't easy pushin' 'at wheelbarrow up there. I would've struggled as is, with me heavy boots an' clothes. Not to mention the water's resistance pushin' me back. The treacherous edges I had to get past were no simple task either. Many times, I nearly lost me footin' an' many times the rock fell on me, nearly takin' me an' the supplies with it. But I wasn't goin' to let that stop me! 

I charged through the path an' its uneasy ascent, rushin' up faster an' faster. Clashin' past; soarin' through, rushin' past the water's strength.

Eventually, I neared the top. I could see a strange roof above me. A cavern roof. It was shinin' a bright light over everythin' below, it is to you what was to me the sun. Shinin' in the day an' darkenin' in the night.

Lookin' back at the mountain's height, I finally spotted the Arch-Mage's home. It was a rather tall, stone, brick tower. Not as old as the lighthouse but did seem to show its age. The slight weeds croakin' up from the cracks in its attire took form an' wheezed in. Some vines shrouded down the walls an' from a lonesome window at the structures crest.

Later reachin' its wooden door I knocked on, then after realisin' a knock wouldn't be heard underwater, I decided a shout was more in order,

- I'm here for an Arch-Mage!

- Who es it?!

Stomp, stomp, stomp.

I heard them reach towards the door.

- The name's Clay.

- I don't know of any Cllllay. Get lost.

- Well, I've come a long way to get 'ere I ain't gettin' lost now.

- Too bad. Pick back up your stuff an' get lost.

- Ye like 'at word don't ye.

- Yes, now go on. Shoo shoo.

- I've got yer suppli-

I instantly heard the unlockin' o' locks at the second o' me sayin' supplies. Quite a lot o' locks too, chains were slid, keys turned an' I think I even heard a zipper bein' pulled.

At last, the door opened.

- Well why didn't you say so? Come in, come in.

- Don't mind if I do.

I looked around the strange, mystical room I walked into. A telescope was to me left, pointed at a model Silver Whale with a map rolled up an' ridin' on top. An anchor was placed further past the model, with a few upside-down chairs takin' home comfortably at an angle. To me right was all sorts o' cages o' weird sea creatures. Strangely shaped an' coloured fish, sea horses, lil' an' tiny sharks an' plenty more. Tiltin' me head up I saw a bunch o' pictures o' seven different people in robes. Must've been the full gang o' mages if I were to have guessed. Back over left, I continued lookin' up to see different statues, models an' pillars linin' themselves on top a row o' bookshelves. There were statues o' people, differin' to the ones in the photos from earlier. Some wore the Capital's armour; others wore suits an' trench coats. All o' 'em however, had the same silver, grey paint as the last. 

Next, I laid me eyes on a torn ol' banner. It wore the Capital's emblem o' the whale proudly, despite the dust it must've picked up from layin' there on the room's beige walls.

Centerstage stood the Arch-Mage. He wore a purple robe with light brought upon it by the golden chandelier danglin' from above. The purple robe was decorated strangely enough with pink ducks an' dolphins. The kind o' ducks from 'em tales o' the surface you're told over at school. An' the Arch-Mage wore too, a hat o' the same pattern, with a pink, jinglin' bell ringin' ontop. Down from their hat was a pair o' bright, pink eyes an' thick, purple eyebrows. Then, they opened their mouth.

- A curious place es it not? All stuff I found or made. I'm quite into the sculpting scene you see.

- A mage like you?

- Arch-mage.

- Me apologies.

- That they should be, I worked quite hard to achieve thes title. Thes title took me a whole 50 years to achieve. I am not quite so happy to be called a mere mage after that degree of dedication, would you not agree, Mr. May?

- May?

- That wasn't it? What was it then?

- Cla-

- Yes! Clay. How could it slip my miiiiind? I remember now, thank you for your help.

- So yer suppli-

- Supplies! Yes. I've been in quite a sea cucumber you see, I'm getting rather low and would love to have them delivered.

- That's what I'm 'ere fo-

- Really?! Wow I wouldn't have guessed it, with that wheelbarrow you brought in. Sit down, sit down. I'll make you a cup of tea whilst you're here.

- Really?

- Yes, yes. What would you like? Coral or seaweed?

- C-coral?

- Coral?! What a fine choice. I'm more for a seaweed guy myself.

- Are ye?

- Yes, shame you're not one, but I'm guessing you don't know even in the slightest what either taste like, so don't worry I'll get you accustomed to the taste.

- Me thanks.

Your thanks? No no, my thanks are much better to be given. And I shall give you them, I shall! What do you need? Wisdom? Power? Food? Not food, food's mine. YAhahaha!

- Quite a character, aren't ye?

- Wasn't that a little... rude... in saying that?

- Oh, I didn't mean to-

- Do not worry! Everything es okay! I understand my personality es not the most normal. There's a reason why my colleagues hated me so much, after all.  But do not worry! For there es nothing I, the great Ichlam the Third, cannot handle!

- A rather unusual name.

- Are you jabbing that in because you know I won't get offended? Don't be mistaken, I can get angry. It just takes a lot es all. Ahhh, but don't think some words won't harm even someone as great as me. As an outsider once said, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. I don't believe in a single word of that monarchy.

- Melarky.

- No, monarchy. That slogan made its way to founding their monarchy. It laid the groundworks for what the whole of these Wastelands were built upon. Unfortunately, they were a rather cruel leader. But do not worry! They are no longer with us. Their head es right behind you in fact!

- AH!

- YaHAhaa! What a priceless reaction, nearly as much as theirs. Dont kill me! Don't kill me! They screamed and begged for their life! So did the children they enslaved. I did just to him as they did to them. Quite funny really.

- I-is it?

- Yes!

- I see...

- Why are you averting your eyes my good friend? We've known each other long enough now.

- We met a few minutes ago.

- That long ago?!

- Yes, wait I mean no, I mea-

- See! I thought so. Now, as for that tea, it es nearly done so do not feel too bored whilst you wait. Here, I shall entertain. Watch, as I make thes banner of the Capital's pride disappear! 1, 2, 3 pottle!

- It's fallin' apart. How did ye do that?

- Et's not falling apart. Not anymore. It's gone now, disintegrated. See, magic!

- So that disintegration was magic?

- Yes.

- I see.

- Done! The teas done! Here, here. Served piping warm. Don't hurt yourself. Otherwise, you'll end up like them.

The Capital?

- Yes! Do you not know what happened to them?

- No.

- Ah, well I'll tell you whilst you're drinking your seaweed tea.

- Seaweed?

- So, it was a part of the great war long ago. Well not that long ago, it was only a decade. Anyways, it was a foul war, many ended up dead in its conflict. Millions did. It was split between two sides, the self-proclaimed Silver Soldiers and everyone else. Everyone else being the boilers, wastelanders and caverners.

- Were the silver soldiers from the Sanctuary o' The Silver Whale?

- No, what are you dumb? They were the corals and the islanders. No one knows about any silvers. Otherwise, we'd have more than a legend to go off from.

- Well, you see, I'm an outsider, I don't know any o' these things.

- My statement remains, what makes you think I don't think you are an outsider? Surely you've heard something by now.

- A little, but I only arrived today i think.

- You think?

- I'm not too sure.

- Well there was a giant war with the corals and islanders being put against everyone else.

- Ye're not goin' to tell me anymore?

- You've bored me! So, on another note, you clearly wanted something out of me in coming up here. What was it?

- I was told to learn magic from ye. Don't suppose ye can teach me can ye?

- Sure.

- Wait really?

- Yes, I haven't turned anyone away from me yet, so why should I now?

- I just expected ye to kinda get me to do something in return after I beg ye to death.

- Oh, I still am. And if there's any begging to death that you'll be doing, it's during the training.

- Is it that difficult?

- No, you'll just want to stop me from talking. YAhahahaha!

- Ye seem like a fun guy—I doubt I'll complain much!

- Glad to find someone who doesn't agree with my colleagues.

- Do ye have somethin' against them or somethin'?

- No, not at all. I wanted to be friends with them but they were full of pride, anger and violence. I was more a third of that. I'm not very prideful and I don't get too angry either, you see. But I still wanted to be friends with the lot. They were nice in a way. They helped prevent too many lives from being lost in the great war, if it weren't for them the Silver Soldiers would have won a lot more than they did. Anyways speaking of getting something. I need to tell you of the cost for your teachings.

- Oh right, ye said ye wanted payment after all, didn't ye?

- Yes. I did. Thus, your payment shall be in the form of three promises.

- Promises?

- Yes. If you wish to ready yourself as my pupil you must heed to them and succeed, or I will kill you myself.

- K-kill me?

- Yes. For these are very important so listen up. First! You must continue bringing me supplies every 3 months until my teachings finish. Second! You shall find The Sanctuary of The Silver Whale. And third... You must murder every last one of the Whale Tribe. None shall live. All shall die. To you they should be considered not as Aquariets, but as living punching bags with no purpose other than to die a meaningless death.

- That last one seems extreme does it not?

- If you disagree you shall never become my pupil.

- Wait ye've taken in others as yer pupil haven't ye?

- Yes, I said so before.

- So why not have them do that for ye?

- They're dead.

- What? How?

- I killed them.

- What?! Why?!

- They couldn't fulfil their promise. Simple.

- Which part?

- The last two. Most importantly, the third.

- The promise goes to everyone?

- Yes, it es important. Very important. More important than you. More important than me. More important than anything else at thes current moment. Listen boy. Thes sea es under grave danger. The gods are angry. They don't want to listen to you or me. That's why we must bring them down to our level and smite them down back to where they belong. Those who dwell in the darkest corners of the world don't understand that. They side with those gods, spread false rumours and hoaxes. If it were not for them the war would have never been so bad. Both the gods and the tribe. The Whale Tribe es something that must be destroyed. No trace or form should be left. Any member should be killed. Any book should be destroyed. Any descendent should be murdered. Even the children cannot be spared. It's a treacherous path, but to prevent further from being slain you must step forwards. Over the millions laid to rest, you shall transpire. As the one to cause peace. As the one to cause tranquillity. A saviour known to the entire sea. Beyond waters shall hear your name in legend. Clay, take my hand and rid thes world of all the impurities hiding within it. For thes es my request. I, Ichlam the Third, the last surviving Arch-Mage ask you, Clay to become my pupil and fulfil the prophecy and what could not be done by me nor my predecessors. If you accept and fail, you shall die. If you succeed you shall become a hero. Choose now. The fate of the seas es waiting on you. Clay.

0