Chapter 7: Deceit
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- I'm not sure what I can do about... k-killin' c-children... but it depends. How bad is this tribe?

- The worst of the worst I would say. They ravaged villages, discriminated against those who opposed their beliefs, struck them down, tortured them and then did the same to their families. They spread unsightly rumours of the Capital, and a war tumbled from said rumours.

- So they started the war?

- Yes and no. The Corals started the war. The tribe made it worse. They pulled the strings behind the conflict, but that didn't change the actions the corals had taken.

- So ye hate them because they made the war worse?

- Once again yes and no. I hate them because they worsened the war and I also hate them for spreading falseness on the Whale's divinity.

- Divinity?

- The Whale es treated as a god here. I'm not too sure what religion es like on the surface world, but to us the Whale es that which started it all. Whether it es true or not no-one knows. But the tribe believes that it hears the calls of the Whale. They use it as an excuse to murder countless people. They enjoy killing to put it simply.

- But why kill the children? They might not believe the same thing as the other tribe members.

- If they don't, they are either, convinced, tortured till they 'believe' or killed. Not only that but to any 'non-believers' they rip out their tongue and turn their head into a lamp to light their camp posts.

- A lamp?! Wait does that me-

- Mean what? Don't tell me you've seen it.

- Seen what?

- One of the ritual grounds.

- Ritual grounds?

- Yes, they take a sea beast, gouge out its inners and replace it with blue moss and and florals. Then they have the face be placed on a stick with a magic candle lit on the inside.

"Grandpa... This story is scary."

Oh, I'm afraid this is only the beginnin' me lad. Do not worry, they won't hurt you lad. You're fine. Alright? If it gets scary, I'll let ye hold o' me hand, alright? 

"Alright."

So, after that disgustin' description I responded,

- I saw it. I've seen nearly that exact description before. 

- That... that worries me.

- Worries ye?

- Did you see one of them? Did you see one?!

- I saw someone there yes.

- Thes es worse than I thought. Listen you are going to have to accept my hand either way. Did they see you?

- No, I hid before they noticed me.

- Okay, good. If they had you would've been chased down and had lead them right to me. I set my home here at the tallest place of thes sea for a reason, you know. I had it made out of stone for a reason too. I didn't want them breaking it down without a fight. I even reinforced it with magic.

- Will ye be alright?

- I will as long as they didn't see you. If they even smelled you it would be bad.

- Thank goodness I hid underwater.

- Hid underwater? Where did you see them?

- In The Sanctuary o' the Silver Whale.

- What?!

- That's bad isn't it.

- Very bad! Very very bad! They found a way there?! How?! I couldn't even do that!

- What's bad about it?

- It means they could become warped by the lighthouse. If they make it there that could create who knows what kind of problems. Another war may be in the making.

- War?!

- Yes! If that occurs, especially when everyone's barely gotten over the last one, no-one will recover again! Everyone may fully well end up dead! That's the last thing we want, especially now, especially now! 

- How can ye stop 'em 'en?

- You just need to get there quickly. Listen, you must NOT under any circumstances talk to one of the tribe members. Do not let them see you. Do not let them know of your existence. You must stop their plans and bring it to an end. I have gotten close, but not yet have I found a way to get up there. Whilst I try, you must train and locate information about the tribe and the Sanctuary. 
I'll teach you magic as quickly as I can. Looks like you'll be begging me to death after all with your training. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice anymore. First, let me get you a change of clothes. I have a bunch of pairs on my second floor, choose whatever one you need. They are reinforced with magic, so they won't get wet and can take a good beating. Once you're dressed, I shall begin your training.

- Which way is it to upstairs?

- Behind me you fool. The spiral staircase. Just be quick, no time to waste.

- Alright.

I ran quickly upstairs, to find a row of fabrics makin' up different pieces o' apparel. I scoured for a fittin' size. Luckily for me, the mage was around my size. I went through the countless outfits an' finally landed on one.

- You done up there yet?!

- No, I only just found somethin'!

- Hurry up already!

I hastily wacked on the clothes an' rushed downstairs.

- Looks good on you, let's get moving.

I wore an aqua, blue shirt with a purple trench coat, laced in teal accents. Me leggin's were the same purple as me trench coat an' had a smart feel to 'em. I wore a purple striped, bright, blue hat, similar to me ol' one but instead o' a feather it wore nothin' ontop. It all went rather nicely with me boots I got only recently, with 'eir black colour an' matchin' blue, similar to the pattern on me trench coat.

- Movin'? Where to?

- To practice of course. Outside, outside.

- Alright, alright. Quit pushin'.

We left the buildin' an' stepped out into the mountain's terrain. After a few minutes o' silence the Arch-Mage began wavin' his arms around.

- I thought we're in a hurry, why ye messin' around?

- I'm not messing around, I'm trying to teach you.

- I have to do that?

- Yes, watch every movement, it helps get a beginner like you to understand the flow of magic better.

- Flow o' magic?

- Magic has a sort of rhythm to it. You must match its rhythm in spirit, tone and rhyme. If you are even a slight bit off, you fail the casting. Once you get good enough you shall not have to rely on these movements.
Since you entered here you found your key and unlocked your inner potential. As described by ancient legend, the key allows outsiders to breathe underwater and use magic to its fullest, sometimes to even greater extent. We have had many outsiders who became Arch-Mage's they were that strong.

- How strong are you Arch-Mage's anyways?

- Strong enough to be nearly on par with an entire nation. I'd show you the most of it but I don't want to attract the tribe, considering they could be on their way at thes minute.

- Wait what? But I didn't get seen.

- You may not have been seen but they can still find out about a new outsider. Don't underestimate their way of knowledge. Even the most trustworthy of allies may mistakenly tip them off on your whereabouts.

- Anyways, behold and the like. Magic and presto.

Swirlin' chrome started to flock the Arch-Mage's movement. It gathered like a school o' fish caught in a great pull. Gently, playfully. Their fray, florescent stream, burstin' to a rough, ragged cloth rasp in a great tug. I hear the call o' a Whale call down upon 'eir movements. Chirpin' away to the sea's loomin' choir. Howlin' to tempo an' bowin' to its glorious divine presence. 

It was like bein' in front o' royalty. I was struck with nervousness. I was struck on me hairs end. Yet, I felt warm. Wrapped in admiration an' entrancement. Claspin' the incredible dancin' art I were witnessin'. So this is magic, I thought to me self.  O' for its beauty was so fine, so proud. The Whale's battle cry. 

The mage took a final stance. Like a strange form o' me world's martial arts. The rainbow aura masked around him even greater. It bled down, flowin' down to 'eir arms. Flowin' down to 'eir wrists. Flowin' down to 'eir fists. They clenched 'em, ready to unleash a holy scream. The Whale grew louder. It grew in elegance. Climbed in stature. Leaked out into the atmosphere, I felt the pressure in the waters changin'. Everythin' was startin' to lose colour. Fadin' to black. Then. Release. 

The cry was let out once more. The Whale's cry. Its beauty. Its glory. The brilliance to the dance an' movement all to this final moment. Bubbles foamed up, coursin' a grandness I had never seen in me life. The spell released its magnificence an' shouted a final scream. Aoooooooooooooooooo!

Such a glorious battle cry. I sought tears to the ocean once more. Me second tears let out into that sea. By the Whale, I was captivated. By the Whale, I was rejoiced. Its battle cry. The sound o' a beast. No. The sound o' a god.

 - By the lord, what a thing for the eyes. That—that was magic? What a beautiful sight.

- Well, it es your turn now lad.

Alrighty! I'm lookin' forwards to this.

I began the motions o' the spell. Weavin' an' bindin' the movements together. Syncin' into a melodic dance.

- You're a quick learner.

- It helps to have a photographic memory.

- A what memory?

- I remember every slight detail, I relayed, as I continued me performance.

- What a peculiar and not to mention handy skill to have. Very good. You'll learn in no time.

- So, what do I do now, I've got the hang o' the dance, what's next?

- An easy way to get the hang of magic es to close your eyes and let your instinct guide you. Practice the dance until you can do it without mistakes. And make sure to keep your posture straight.

- Youch, did ye have to wack me head when ye said 'at.

- Well, are you going to be corrected by yourself? I think not!

- True. Don't go hittin' me though.

- No promises, yahaha.

- So, hey. You're tryin' to keep yourself hidden from the tribe, aren't you?

- Yeah, what of it?

- Well, it just seems like everyone knows where ye live is all.

- What? Are you dumb?

- Well, I mean I simply asked for where ye lived an' was told no issues asked. I mean what if I were a tribe member.

- One, don't go talking like that, people will find you suspicious just for saying that. Two, are you saying you didn't already know before?

- Know about where ye lived? No. I entered the village just today.

- Who told you where I lived?

- Some carriage driver and a farmer.

- A carriage driver? And a farmer as well? Only a select people know I live here. The village elder and my food supplier. So let me get thes right. You aren't my normal food supplier?

- No, I thought they just got volunteers or something to help out.

- Idiot, no of course not. When you arrived did you see a short, old man?

- No, I told ye I saw a farmer. Lookin' back, I think they had purple hair, so they should be a native.

- Not quite how that works lad.

- Is it not?

-No, Wastelanders have purple hair, but not all villagers are Wastelanders. The village elder es one, but a good chunk of the people here isn't. Not everyone with purple hair es a native either.

- What does that have anythin' to do with?

- The tribe.

- Oh.

- They're masters of trickery. What did thes farmer say to you?

- Well, I asked them for work an' they said to 'holly' the plants, give ye supplies an' get rid of a shark.

- Hmm. That doesn't help much. What was their name?

- They didn't say.

- Any scars?

- Didn't see any.

- Any suspicious behaviour at all?

None

- So how did—unless they were faking! If they knew before, why did they not attack...

The Arch-Mage paced back an' forth in unease. I saw their face beginnin' a sweat, as 'eir left palm landed on 'eir chin, an' 'eir right hand scratched underneath the purple hair beneath 'eir hat.

- Ye okay?

- Okay?! Me? Yes, absolutely. I'm COMPLETELY fine.
No, it's nothing. It's just that the tribe knows exactly where I am, most likely what I'm doing and who's helping me! So don't worry. I'm just nice and dandy.

Is there anythin' I can—

- Quiet! I'm trying to think. Just continue your training. I need to figure out what's happening. I'll be back. If you see anyone, run inside and shout me. Or don't, either way we're both doomed.

- A-alright.

 

 

0