Chapter 8: No Constellation?
484 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Witch…”

Orion had no other words to describe the young woman standing in front of him, donning a blue and black leotard with golden linings. She seemed to love stars as star-shaped clips hung at the end of her black twin tails, a star ornament in the center of her chest, numerous ones printed across her dress, and lastly, a tiny star in between her black choker. A crescent moon and star ornament also adorned her witch hat and her right thigh.

‘Sexy curves… but where is her bra?’

His sharp eyesight could see things beyond her dress, things that shouldn’t be seen. He shook off his dirty thoughts and frowned. From the flair of the girl’s intricate outfit, Orion knew the girl had to be a major character.

“Found you,” Mona whispered and summoned a hydro bubble in front of her. She stepped inside it and instantaneously arrived behind Orion. Her scryglass seemingly popped into existence through bubbles and twirled like a clock hand. Mona touched her chin as her pale green eyes narrowed with a smug glint. “A junior wouldn’t be able to discern your identity. But I am Mona, the proud progenitor of the future of astrology. Nothing impedes my vision from discovering your true origin. You, who possess no Stella Fortuna in the depths of the stars, are a denizen of the other world.”

During the later part of her long walk to Mondstadt, Mona was convinced that the stars sent her in pursuit of the meteor rain. Now, it looked like there was another reason. A person whose fate wasn’t written in the stars. It had to be her destination.

“Kinda rude to say that to a stranger,” Orion said, maintaining his composure even though his cover was blown up. “Anyway, Mona, any street astrologist could read my fate in the world I used to live in. It makes me question your ability as an astrologist.”

Whether or not that fortunetelling turned out to be true was a different thing altogether, however.

A quick use of the ‘Sentimental Ocean’ talent, and Orion had a solid idea of Mona’s emotions. Amusement, curiosity, and exhaustion were all Mona felt at the moment. All things considered, Mona wasn’t an enemy.

Mona swiped the scryglass away, which left numerous colorful bubbles in its wake. She folded her arms under her chest. “It’s my first time meeting a visitor from the realm beyond Teyvat. I shall learn to scry your fate in no time.”

“Good luck with that.”

Mona frowned looking at Orion’s void marks. “I find them repulsive… what are they exactly?”

“Why should I tell you?” Orion shrugged. “Give me one reason.”

As much as Orion wished to leave this place, Mona had become a loose thread who could reveal his identity.

Mona was used to people’s hostility already, primarily created by her own extremely blunt nature. Putting her hands on her hips, she nodded. “The source of those marks is something darker than the night sky—gah! Your cat is biting me!”

Makoto had clasped Mona’s leg in her jaws. Mona froze, her smugness fading into obscurity. “Savage cat, stop or I’ll soak your shiny fur!”

She was never interested in animals since they had no constellations. Reading an animal’s fate was impossible for even for the greatest of astrologists.

Makoto released her grip hearing Mona’s threat and jumped into Orion’s arms. Orion patted Makoto's fur with a smirk. “What were you saying again?”

“I am—” Mona’s stomach growled as she was about to answer, making her face redder than a tomato.

“You are Mona, and you are hungry.” Orion steered the talk away from his marks.

Mona pulled down her witch hat to cover her red hot face. “...I haven’t found an opportunity to eat breakfast.”

Orion chuckled and tossed a sunsettia fruit in her direction. “That’s what I ate for my breakfast.”

Mona held the fruit with astonishment in her eyes. Orion was being hostile a moment ago, refusing to answer any of her questions. Now he bestowed the greatest gift upon her—food. She was confused at this sudden turn of events.

“Eat up. I have more if you need.”

Orion had no storage to carry the fruits to the city. Besides, he was more into grilling fish than eating sweet fruits.

Mona couldn’t sense any lie in his words. He was giving her food without any ulterior motive, which confused her more, but she was not one to miss any opportunities when it came to satiate her hunger.

“I’ll eat since you insist so much.” Mona dug into the fruit, which was tastier than the breakfast of mushroom and soup she had in mind.

Orion watched the astrologist devour the fruit, a certain thought appearing in his mind. “Mona, are you broke by any chance?”

He had a reason to be surviving on fruits and such. The same didn’t apply to Mona, however. After all, she could read people’s fate and teleport instantaneously like a magician. She didn't seem like a traveler who carried baggage around.

Mona nearly choked from Orion’s critical hit. “Mora matters not. Only by ridding oneself of material desires can one see the true world around them.”

“Isn’t that an excuse miserable people use to sleep every night?”

Orion used to do the same when he was struggling for money, so he knew more than anyone when someone was bluffing about the subject.

Mona received another critical hit, and she coughed loudly. “No. One lives simply, all the better to expose this world's truths. Fancy feasts lead one to stray from the truth.”

“Another excuse,” Orion whispered.

The astrologist became immersed in eating, trying her best to ignore him and the newly ascended god didn’t notice a maid approaching from the Dawn Winery.

“Greetings, Sir Orion.”

Orion received quite a shock when a voice came from right behind him. He whirled around, only to see a maid with shoulder-length blonde hair and bangs standing inches behind him. She clasped her hands on her lap with a polite smile.

“I’m Adelinde, the head housemaid of Dawn Winery. Master Diluc sent me to fetch you for the ride to Mondstadt.”

Orion narrowed his eyes. Even his sharpened senses, granted by his newfound powers, failed to catch the maid sneaking around.

‘Assassin maid.’

“Dawn Winery, the greatest wine industry in Teyvat, only second to Tianyuan of the Liyue in wealth,” Mona said as she licked sunsettia’s sweet flavor from her lips. “Your name is Orion?”

She was curious about Orion’s relationship with the Master of Dawn Winery. Usually, such questions would be answered through her hydromancy. However, the same hydromancy didn’t seem to work on Orion.

“Yup.” Orion had no reason to hide his humble name. “Mona, it was a fun meeting. But I have to leave. Don’t disappoint me next time. I want to know my fate. Adelinde, let’s go.”

Orion turned around and followed Adelinde on the dirt-covered road leading to the entrance of the Dawn Winery. He had already confirmed that Mona wouldn’t cause trouble for him. She was too lost in her astrology to care about him and the universe beyond Teyvat.

“Wait.” Mona instantly teleported to Orion’s side. “Is there some room in the carriage? I’m also headed to Mondstadt.”

She was tired of walking all night. She would die if she had to walk to Mondstadt in her current state. She also couldn’t let Orion go until she proved her astrology skills!

“Ask Adelinde.” Orion passed the responsibility to the maid.

Adelinde stopped in her tracks. “I will have to ask Master Diluc. I cannot make decisions on behalf of Master Diluc.”

“I’ll convince him,” Mona said with a nod.

“I can ask Fritz to escort you to Mondstadt. He goes out by noon.”

***

A refreshing scent of grapes and wine lingered in the air around the Dawn Winery. Two brunette maids were gossiping outside the Dawn Winery Mansion, and Diluc was talking to a white-haired butler.

“Good morning,” Diluc greeted Orion, a slight smile on his face. He looked over his shoulder. “Elzer.”

“Right away, Master Diluc.” The butler turned to Orion. “Sir Orion, please come with me. I have your clothes prepared.”

Orion wasn't used to people addressing him like this. Giving a polite smile, he said, “Oh, lead the way.”

Orion left Makoto at the door and followed the butler inside while wondering if Mona would succeed or fail. The eccentric astrologist couldn’t view his future, but she still was a formidable magician capable of teleporting around.

‘She is rather unreliable, though.’

Favorite if you liked it!

28