Chapter 1: Land Ahead!
347 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Breaking news! Germany shut its last nuclear powerplant and now relies on the Russian oil trade!..."

"President Dunes of the USA to build more coal powerplants to answer the power shortage all over the US!..."

"China's mega-project of building 30 large coal powerplants is completed!"

"Breaking News! The Amazon is on fire!..."

"— Mining industry in South Africa thrives!"

"The Philippines finally had its first nuclear powerplant in Bataan! Further details can be..."

...

At first, we thought everything was doing well, many countries rose from poverty, China, Russia, and NATO signed a non-aggression pact to avoid meaningless nuclear war, Southeast Asia became an economic powerhouse only below the EU, the issue in the middle east was resolved, the territorial dispute in the south china sea was solved, the humanity taste peace, countries industrialize, the population became larger, demands of various goods grew, little by little, humans destroy their birthplace, until the year of 2017, a typhoon formed in the pacific, at first, everyone thought it was just a normal typhoon, but it's growth was abnormal, it became massive, completely covering the pacific, then more storms formed, in the central asia, middle east, africa, americas, europe, even in the north and south pole, rain poured down to earth, two days, one week, months and years later, the rain did not stop, sea level rose that various cities already submerged into the sea, to their horror, it was too late, God once again, cleanse the humanity, humans took shelter on ships, converted into civilians use, after 13 years of non-stop raining, the whole land, submerged, humans wanders the endless in search of land.

February 10, 2030.

 A small LED light lits the metallic room, a man reading a piece of paper sits in a chair, focusing his attention, despite the shaky room, a man who sits in front of his table gives him brief information.

"— as for our oil reserves, I'm afraid that we could only last for two months and a maximum of four months if we push more limits to our usage."

"I see, how about the crops?"

"It'll be ready for harvest after a month, our food supply will only last for one and a half months but after we harvested the crops it will last for three months."

"Nods Good, however, our oil supply... Call James for me, tell him that I want to meet him."

"... But sir, James just died two days ago..."

"Aah... Right... Call the new guy then... Tell him to come here immediately, Shawn."

Shawn left the room after he was ordered.

~~~

*knock *knock, "You called for me, sir?"

"Yes, so you are..."

"Jonathan, Jonathan Mandel, the new Admiral."

"I see, have a seat then, Admiral."

Edward pulled out a map from his desk, the map has markings and various inscriptions, "You know the situation of our supplies, right? Our oil reserves, medical supplies, and much more are dwindling before I was appointed as the governor, my father gave me this map, in his expeditions, he said he saw a silhouette of land in the Indian ocean."

"So you want us to go there? We're not so sure if it is even true, it's a gamble, sir." Jonathan said with a worried expression.

"Even if we stay here and conserve oil our fate will not change, we do not have anything to trade with other colonies, no one will help us that's why I'm desperate, or else, we might be forced into cannibalism."

Admiral Jonathan put his hands on his face, he can't imagine such a thing to happen, but many other colonies passed the Indian Ocean and none saw land or even just rocks.

"Governor... "

"I know, can you please have some trust with me, Admiral? I know it's a gamble and I'm putting everyone at risk, but this is our last hope, it's now or never."

Jonathan pondered, "Fine. If we don't see any land, it's all your fault."

After some more minutes of talking, Jonathan leaves the office of Edward.

===

Time skip, 7 weeks of sailing.

Edward stood on the deck of the aircraft carrier, it was now full of soil and various crops are growing, it is said this ship came from the US Navy's Nimitz-class. To his left are cargo ships that turned into civilian houses, to his right are warships such as frigates, destroyers, and some submarines who are still luckily operational secures the colony's safety, they have been traveling for several weeks now, there's no sighting of land yet.

"Hm?" In a distance, Edward saw, a white, fog-like coming on their way.

Eventually, the fog enveloped the whole fleet, Edward walked towards the ship's bridge to check the other ships.

The crew in the bridge salutes him, "Is there anything you need sir?" The captain asked

"Ah, no, it's just this fog."

"I see, it's unusual, it does not tend to have fog here in the Indian ocean."

Edward waited for the fog to subside when the fog finally started to clear, he saw a small dot, he asked for binoculars and used them, when he was finally able to see a clearer view of the silhouette, he yelled to everyone which made them shocked.

"L-l-l LAND!!!" He exclaimed, hearing his word, the sailors aboard used their binoculars to see the direction he points to, they also saw the land, unable to believe the situation, they keep on closing and opening their eyes. "It's land! I can't believe this! How could this happen!"

===

"Sister! Sister! Look! It's the land!"

"No way..." 

Crowds formed on each ship as they all gaze on the land, the lush green grass, trees, and mountains, there are no settlements.

Admiral Jonathan can't believe the scene before him, he glanced to his left and saw Governor Edward, he slowly approached him and spoke, "I can't believe that there is, and here, how did you know its existence?"

Edward chuckled, "I just followed what is in the map father made, if there's anything to thank, that would be him."

In one ship, the sailors aboard laid down speed boats armed with a minigun, are tasked to survey the land.

===

Major Mike Meyers leads a battalion-size of armed soldiers, they tasked to survey the land, he once served in the US Army and now in the Pacific Defense Force of the Pacific Colony, his men just finished building barracks and secured defensive perimeter, in his office, he's giving instructions to the commanders of survey groups to be conducted by tomorrow.

"Gentlemen, please take a look at the papers presented in the table, take one for each, in there are a list of plants, trees, etc, while we survey the area, the higher-ups want us to check for various flora and stuff, there will be experts in that field to be with us, next is, we will look if there's any life form, humans or civilization in this area, drones will probably do most of the job in that regard, still we need to search thoroughly, we also need to look for water, fresh water to be specific, we have a week to complete our operation, prepare your groups and make sure to bring important things, that is all, if there's no question, you're all dismissed."

===

"Fox 1 to Command, we're now entering the forest."

"Command to Fox 1, copy that, proceed with the instructions."

Fox 1, one of the ten groups included in the operation enters the forest to survey its area, armed with M4 Rifles, their green uniform camouflage makes them blend in the dark green forest, the forest itself is not thick which makes everything for the survey teams easy.

"Palm trees, Birch and even Maple trees, common at home." One of the operators said, his name is Sergeant Grant Mckinley.

The team went deeper into the forest, experts along with them took samples of plants to be studied back, after three hours of walk, they heard the flow of water, as they got out of the thick bushes, they saw a waterfall and a large lake.

"Would you look at it, a lake!" One of the operators explained, he is Private First Class Munroe Boy.

The operators approached the lake and washed their sticky faces, they drink the fresh water and filled their canteens.

"We can finally take a bath! Not just by using wet clothes to clean our bodies."

"Shhh!" The team captain, Lieutenant Arturo Cruz signaled, "I see movements on the other side."

The team readied their rifles, the experts hid in the rear of them, on the other side of the river, bushes can be seen moving, the movements get violent and shriek sound was heard, then figures hot out of the bushes, everyone's eyes widened to what they saw, ugly creatures with green skin wore rags and armed with clubs was seen, they are the same height of a 12-year-old, then another figure came, a much larger 1.5-meter creature, it has dark brown skin and one horn, it has a large sword on its waist.

"Jesus what the hell are those!?" Sergeant Grant yelled.

"I don't know, but they're bad news." PFC Munroe replied.

The creatures then began to notice them, they started to cross the lake which was not deep considering that they are not drowning, the brown creature let out a roar which makes the team flinch.

"Shit! Fox 1 open fire!"

*Ratatatatata

The operators opened fire and shoot the creatures, bullets struck their bodies which make them shriek in pain, the firing only lasted for ten seconds, the bodies of the creatures float.

"My God, I think they just called for their friends." Lieutenant Arturo said, "I think this is enough information, for now, going deeper will meet us with more danger."

"Fox 1 to command, we just encountered strange green and brown humanoid creatures and attacked us, we already neutralize them but we're afraid there's more to come."

"Command to Fox 1, the other teams are engaging with the same strange creatures, you are now to RTB, the other teams are going out of the forest."

"Fox 1 to Command, copy over."

"Let's leave this place." The team started to walk away, meanwhile one of the experts was able to get a sample from the killed humanoid creatures.

=== End.

A/N: Hello everyone! This is my first time writing so there might be some errors, please don't hesitate to point it out for me, thank you for your support!

9