Chapter 8: When Is The Right Time To Show My True Face?
423 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We shall now vote on the idea that: All class points in year one will be revised to a fluid merit-based system, with the ability to increase or decrease class points based on performance in examinations."

This new rule would've been one that strongly favoured the higher classes. Based on the class systems, the higher classes would naturally be able to increase their class points with the lower classes losing their class points. It was a blatant 'rich get richer, poor get poorer' system. The school approved this based on the idea that the school was already a meritocracy so this didn't seem any more unusual. Even so, this was still biased.

Caleb however, did not mind this obvious discrimination when he put forward the idea, for he had his own goals in mind.

The year one student council members sat around an awkwardly large table. Basically, everyone had already decided whether or not they were going to vote for the bill.

Everyone in the student council was class A students, aside from the assistants. The idea obviously and overtly helped all the members of class A.

"Everyone, please vote on your phones now."

After a brief moment, everyone had placed their votes.

"I will now announce the results."

The supervising teacher read out the results.

 

*

 

I was again awoken by the sound of beeping on my phone. I had wanted to sleep in since it was Saturday but I guess they had other plans.

The student council seemed to be on a streak this week. While my eyes were still adjusting to the light, I leaned over and grabbed my phone from the charger.

"Student Council Alert - New rule failed to pass."

Interesting, it seemed they alerted us even if the rule doesn't pass.

"Proposed rule - All class points in year one will be revised to a fluid merit-based system, with the ability to increase or decrease class points based on performance in examinations.

Votes: Yes - 4, No - 9"

This was a surprising outcome considering the nature of the rule.

It was pretty obvious that Maia had something to do with this. Moreover, it exposed a very glaring flaw with the student council system. Since most of the members, and thus voters, were from class A, there would be nothing except the school to stop biased rules from being passed in favour class A.

The council wasn't based on representation, it was based on merit.

Based on my deduction, I have mostly been able to figure out what Maia likely did. In the student council, I doubted that there was any way to rig the votes, the only way I could think of to skew the votes in your favour was to bribe the voters.

This was probably the reason why she wanted to borrow points from me. I figured the amount wasn't all that important, she just needed as much as she could muster.

Her choice of Noah as her assistant was somewhat confusing as he seemed like a very arbitrary person with no special associations. His only connections were with Saha or the EOT.

I guess at the cost of several thousands of points, she managed to stop this particular rule from being passed.

I still wasn't that sure what she was aiming for in the long run.

 

*

 

I put on some outgoing clothes and made my way outside.

The moment I opened my door, one of the housekeepers handed me a letter. It was somewhat surprising, but I had already had plenty of weird things happen to me.

"Who is this from?"

"I'm not sure, I don't know the faces of that many people in this school."

Oh well.

I made my way back into my room and opened the letter. It was a well-formatted, typed, clean letter, however, the contents of the letter were not as formal.

"Oliver, go to the rotunda beside the vending machine near the sports centre."

This is a weird method of communication these days with access to phones and electronics now. I guess I'll show up just to see what they have to say. They didn't specify a time though so I wasn't sure if anyone was even going to be there.

 

*

 

Eventually, I made my way to the rotunda, turns out there was someone waiting for me.

"Nice to meet you, Ollie."

Awfully formal greeting I must say.

"So, what did you need me for?"

"Getting straight to the point, are we?"

She seemed to have plenty of time for formalities.

She was a relatively cute-looking girl with long blonde hair. Based on how she was talking, it seemed like she was generally a pretty sociable person. There was nothing too particular about her appearance in general.

"Well, who even are you?"

"Class B, rank #26, Trista Arden."

"Cool... So why am I here?"

"I've called you here to give you a mission."

Her responses seemed awkwardly prepared.

"What, are you a quest master or something?"

"I suppose you could call me that, anyways, your mission is to get into the student council."

I guess she didn't realize how easy the mission was for me as I could just ask Maia to make me her assistant, but also, the way she's speaking, this is definitely not something that she has prepared herself. Maybe Maia planted her to try to get me into the student council?

"Tell me, what is my reward for completing this 'mission'?"

"All I'm going to say is that it's something that you'll definitely want."

I was in no mood to complete such a mission for such a vague reward. However, I was more interested in how the girl was acting.

There was no way this class B girl would randomly decide for me in particular to join the student council.

It could've been Maia who planted her, although, I had a feeling like it might've been someone else.

"Trista."

"Yes...?"

"Who are you speaking on behalf of?"

She seemed visibly shocked.

"What do you mean?"

"Someone on the student council asked you to do this am I correct?"

"No? Why would someone do that?"

She's got a pretty strong facade it seems. However, it's already obvious to me that this was the work of a little puppeteer.

Whatever, I'll deal with this issue later.

"Never mind, I'll see what I can do."

"That's the attitude!"

With a beaming smile, she walked off.

 

**

Run and Don’t Look Back – Soliloquy of Sayuri

 

At the time I hadn't fully comprehended it.

A young child who had such little attachment to this world.

To think that you could value life in a way so linear and logically.

After watching you a little bit more, I can tell, you're not normal.

I would never be able to stand on the same level as you. Even with all of my specialised training and education, even with my optimised genes, I will never reach you.

It's funny, it's not like you were any luckier than me, in fact, most people would say your luck was much much worse.

But it was partially that luck that made you this way.

Hypothetically, someone could imitate what happened to you, and they may just be able to create someone similar to you.

But there will probably never be someone like you again.

Because what occurred was not completely based on your circumstance, it was based on you.

And because of that, no one like you will ever exist again.

 

I was instructed never to interact with you during your time in Tachibana House, but now all those rules are gone.

I can see and talk with you all I want.

But for the time being, until 'that time' comes, I'll watch you from afar.

Because when 'that time' comes, I know,

 

 

 

you'll find me.

8