Chapter 23: One Yearns For Closure
351 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Dear Oliver,

I'm sorry. I did not realize the situation you were put through. I had no idea that Mother was doing that to you. No words could explain how much guilt I felt after finding out what was happening.

I know you probably don't remember me, but I still remember the smile on your face when we used to live together as a family.

I'm currently at Valencians High School, I've made some very nice friends like Theo Keller. This school is a very nice place and I will make sure you come here once you're old enough.

I hope to see you again one day, and then, we can start over and live the life that the world owes to you.

Love,

Sonya"

 

*

 

Sayuri Tachibana.

Your name is like a fable, floating around my head.

I made my way out of the dorm building. The other boy probably had already gotten back and was either berating the boy who let me out or frantically searching for me.

It didn't matter to me. I was in no rush. 

Despite never really properly having a conversation with her. I knew all about her. It was obvious, all of her intentions, all of her desires, were written straight on her face. I could read all of her moves like a book. Therefore I had no need to hurry, I would just arrive at the same place she was. 

I walked towards the side of the open grass oval. My gut told me that she would definitely be there. It was a large open area, no large buildings or trees, one could see everything around themselves.

She wanted me to chase her after all 

because she was lonely...

 

was I lonely too?

 

Eventually, I made it to the short metallic railings that bordered the oval. A girl with brown flowing hair stood at the other side of the oval, looking towards me. She quickly ducked away.

I began cutting through the oval. I went from a gentle jog to a run to a sprint. Everything around me was a blur. The green short-cut grass below me was like a light green smudge in my view. The buildings, the clouds and the sky were all but colour splotches in my vision. The cool wind brushed against me as I quickened my pace.

My body felt light, despite me having not run like this in a long time. 

This was a feeling I had not felt in quite a while indeed.

Eventually, I turned around the corner, I saw a faint movement in the distance. A figure moved around the corner. I quickly followed it, eventually, I was in the main courtyard of the school.

She was much closer now, I was no more than ten metres behind her. She dashed around taking cover behind trees and buildings, trying to shake me off. I assumed she would've gotten tired by now, then again, she probably went through the same intensive training that I did.

She ran towards the convenience store, which was just off the main building area, near the dorm rooms. I followed behind her, slowly closing the distance. I wasn't running at full speed, I had done pretty intensive training in the past. I wanted her to have some fun, after all.

She weaved around the path, hopping over the railing and jumping through the grass. It brushed against my legs as I ran through. It was a nice feeling, like a paintbrush. 

This was just a little bit enjoyable for me as well.

She sprinted around the corner of the buildings and behind into a pretty desolate, empty area. It looked like a parking lot but without the lines on the ground. The stone of the ground was rugged and in direct contrast to the rest of the school.

Suddenly, she turned and faced me, the atmosphere was warm, it was a familiar feeling that I had never felt before. The sun shined against her face, brightening up. Somehow the cold uninviting area had become something like a reunion.

I slowed my run to a walk and began making my way towards her.

"Hey, Ollie~"

Her brown hair fluttered in the rain, streaking across her face. Slowly but surely, I walked towards her. One step at a time.

There was a very large wall behind her. It was the back of the goods transport for the convenience store. It was likely as good as abandoned at any time except for the infrequent deliveries.

She began backing up as I came closer. Her steps were slow and mellow.

Her cold obsidian eyes gradually brightened up as she looked towards me. She subtly smiled as she brushed aside some of the hair on her face.

"I've been waiting for you~" She whispered.

She kept backing up until her back hit the wall.

"I've wanted to talk to you for so long~"

Her expression was that of a happy-go-lucky young girl. There were no signs of the trauma and pain of the past, no signs of the struggle and manipulation and pressure of this school. It was just a young maiden in love, smiling and blushing at the person she liked...

no, the person she loved.

I closed in until I could hear her small, frequent breaths. I looked down at the innocent girl.

All of a sudden, I stuck my hand out, striking it against the wall behind her. She jolted in shock from the sudden bang. It was an awkward feeling.

"Ah, that was so scary~"

"So does this count?"

"No, not yet."

Not yet?

She gently parted her hair to the side and closed her eyes.

 

I suddenly felt a soft sensation against my lips. 

I could feel Sayuri's warmth against me.

 

After an incredibly brief moment, she moved back again.

"Should I say mission complete?"

"I guess you can if you want."

"Well... Mission Complete!"

We parted ways and walked off.

 

*

 

I wondered, what was the point of anything.

How do humans value things?

I began to feel.

I began to want.

I wanted to hold something close to my heart.

Where was I even supposed to start looking?

For some reason, I felt as if I couldn't break free from my cold lifeless heart.

I was lonely.

That was the conclusion I came to.

4