Chapter 2
5.9k 7 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One day, several hours and a first-class flight later I was stepping into the airport terminal with an enthusiasm nothing could ruin.

The wedding had gone smoothly and I gave a toast I in no way prepared for because it was something I'd been urged to give against my will, so that was a bit awkward. But the after-party was over and done with, mom and Rob leaving the second we told everyone to go home, and here I was in my best black fur coat wearing the softest leather boots and most fashion-friendly red beret I owned.

There were people all around me walking past. It was a sea of men, women, and luggage. There was undoubtedly a good bit of jostling as I stood in place, unmoving. But to be honest none of that bothered me. Because I'd already spotted the whole reason for my trip.

There he was, towering over all at a staggering 6'4. Effortlessly gorgeous with his thick eyebrows, perfectly squared jawline, neatly combed hair, and thick stubble telling of unmistakable masculinity. He wore a deep blue shirt under a patterned black vest, his muscled frame threatening to tear the close-fitting fabric from his shoulders and lay bare the chiseled masterpiece beneath.

From the looks he got from the passing women, who stared openly as they walked by, that's exactly what they hoped for.

Seeing those achingly familiar grey eyes of his made me forgot all about both my bags and my dignity as I rushed forward.

"Day!" I squealed like a little girl, arms outstretched, literally jumping at him. My face became buried in a hard, rock-like chest. A subtle fragrance wafted up to my nose, dark and full. I couldn't quite describe it, but it smelled great.

I was deliriously happy. For a moment. It didn't last long, because the hug I expected came too late and too half-hearted. It was stiff and just a little cold.

Something in me sunk. I looked up, my excitement cooling, my smile freezing. Those smokey eyes once brimming with love and affection were so much milder than the ones in my memory.

"Evie. You've grown," Was all he said. He looked down with a strange gaze, holding me at arms-length. "You look...different."

"Yeah," I said after a beat. "That's what happens when you don't see someone for three years."

"I suppose so." He nodded. A pause. "It's good to see you."

Um...what? It's good to see you? What the hell? We don't even talk or text for three years and all he says is "It's good to see you"? I had to admit, I've imagined the reunion a thousand times and this kind of reception was NOT one of the ways I pictured it going. At all.

"...You too." I felt cold and it had nothing at all to do with the weather.

He took a peek at his watch. "It's getting dark. We should go, it's a long drive."

***

Tihana, Tennessee is a picturesque little piece of paradise. Snowy in the winter, toasty in the summer, and beautiful all year round. It's autumn now and i knew that come morning I'd wake up to a window displaying the most vibrant and stunning shades of orange, red, and gold set aflame by the sun's gentle rays.

I knew because this was home. Or at least the one we most often visited during this time of year. I remember little about the place but I do recall being the happiest whenever we stayed. The beauty, the cold, refreshing air. How I'd run through the fallen leaves and throw them up into the air like confetti.

How Day would carry me on his shoulders whenever I begged him with a tug of his shirt. Good times, all of it. It's the one place that really felt like...well, like I said, home. A real one. Before dad died and Damien had to be the parent mom wasn't.

My memories might be fuzzy about a lot of things here, but not the fun times.

Driving across the long, winding road to my family's old estate brought a sense of nostalgia that almost took my mind off the deafening silence in the car itself. Keyword "almost."

Damien hadn't spoken a word to me since we left the airport. He barely even looked at me. I had no idea what was up with him. I mean maybe it's just because the whole thing was so sudden? He'd been living by himself for three years now, maybe he's just used to being by himself. I could understand that. Having to take care of your kid sister last-minute after enjoying the freedom of a bachelor lifestyle would be jarring to anyone, right?

It'd just take him a while to get used to it again, having me around. I'm his sister, after all. No way he'd not want me around.

"Almost there." Damien finally broke the tense atmosphere with his announcement.

I looked out the window. A tall, slightly imposing mansion could be seen in the distance, lit both by the soft glow of porch lights and the waxing moon's unearthly radiance.

The Gage Estate.

A true colonial-style mansion meant to impress and awe with large white pillars and a giant driveway sporting an ever-flowing waterfall in the center.

It'd undergone renovations decades ago. Grandfather had taken a liking to the Japanese idea of Onsen and had a private indoor bathhouse dedicated to the concept. The structure itself was erected in true Japanese fashion but connected to the main house through a glass hallway overlooking an artificial pond.

I couldn't wait to just unpack and take a good soak. Still, how did Damien stand it? Living in such a large place by himself. No, had he been by himself? I never asked if he had a girlfriend. Someone like him, a handsome and wealthy young blueblood, probably couldn't stay single for long.

I tried to picture him with a girlfriend. Couldn't do it. Had Day ever had an actual girlfriend, for that matter? I only remember groupies. I knew he wasn't a virgin, but as for whether he had any official girlfriends...at least I never heard of one.

Was I about to be introduced to such a woman? Not sure if I could take that right now. Not with Day acting like he is and all the jet lag. I hadn't had my nightly warm milk and honey so, yeah, might bite a head off.

"You might want to brace yourself." Damien's smooth timbre broke me of my thoughts. I saw him open up his smartphone, pull up an app and tap on a button. Instantly the iron-wrought gates opened their way for us.

I raised a brow. He'd made some upgrades, huh?

"The advantages of living in the 21st century." He smiled faintly.

"Gramps would be amazed." Not that I knew him very well. He died when i was pretty young. I knew Vera's grandfather more. He died when we were 13. It's one of the reasons she was so devastated when Damien left. First her grandpa, then her fiance, all within a year of each other.

"And then some." Damien agreed. "Old man might not understand it, but he'd sure want to tinker around until he did."

That he would. Gramps was apparently a man who loved working with his hands. Grandma used to talk about how she'd always wake up to the sound of him working on some project or another before dad was born. Kept her up all night, she'd say. She especially got grumpy whenever she talked about the car he'd built in the garage. An endeavor that took nearly a year and she hated every second. But in the end it really paid off.

In fact, Gage industries was born from that very first finished product. Today nearly 200 million vehicles have been sold worldwide and of that number over 70% are still being used on the road. It's uncle Henry who's been running the company since dad died, but needless to say, our trust fund is pretty substantial.

Well. I guess Damien got his a good while ago, though. I wonder what he's planning on doing with it. He's never shown interest in the family business despite uncle Henry's urging and it doesn't look like he wants to start up his own company. He didn't live squanderously either.

Not that it mattered. With that kind of cash unless you went out on a yacht shopping spree it'd be enough for a whole lifetime. Several.

As we came up to the house i noticed over a dozen cars parked in the driveway. "What are all those doing here?" I pointed

Damien's answer was more silence.

Okay. Ignore me. Totally cool.

It was only when we got down and I reached for my bags that he deigned to give me his attention. "Let me get those." He insisted.

"Really? Alright, thanks."

Damien's hand reached out and momentarily clasped my own as he took hold of the luggage. His palm was surprisingly warm, a stark contrast to my own freezing fingers, and sent a delicious jolt of electricity all the way down my spine.

I hurriedly back away, afraid he'd notice the weird reaction.

It seemed he hadn't because he made no discernible expression himself. Merely retrieved a metallic card from his vest pocket and turned away.

"Keycard lock?" I'd never seen that outside a hotel room.

"I'll get you one later. " He promised.

I watched him quietly as he ascended the short flight of stairs leading to the front door. I felt my mouth curve. His attitude may have taken a nosedive, but his body....oh dear gods...

Without warning Angel Me popped into existence and raised a hand.

"Woah, Woah, Woah. Okay. Stop right there, me. You're entering dangerous ground, girl. Stop that."

I coughed in embarrassment and torn my eyes away. Sorry, I told her sheepishly.

I mean I knew I had a bit of a brother complex, but this was just...It crossed a line, she was right. Angel Me wagged a finger severely. "Really now. You don't lewd your brother, alright? This isn't Alabama."

"Don't listen to her." A new voice joined. " Let's be honest, he's begging to be lewded. Look at those buns. Ask them yourself. It's fine, isn't it?" Devil Me directed the question to the aforementioned buns, staring pointedly.

I took another quick glance, my gaze inquiring, Seconds later and I nodded sagely.

....Indeed. You make a compelling argument, Day's Rear. So be it. This shall be our little secret.

"You two are incorrigible." Angel Me fumed.

I paid her no mind. She'd been outnumbered.

My eyes began to take in the image of his well-fitting pants with complete shamelessness.

Angel Me 'shrugged helplessly'. "Well...when in Rome..." She gave a lamentable sigh. And then joined Devil Me in our avid gawking, eyes bright.

"Are you coming or not?" Damien called, an edge to his voice.

I smacked my cheeks with both hands. Dang it, E, get a hold of yourself.

"Right behind you!"

I chased.

He held up the card to a scanner. An instant later and a pleasant ding entered our ears like we'd just picked up some sweet loots. And I won't deny it, I'm a loot whore. Yup, I'll be having fun playing with that. Such a nice sound.

He opened the door. It was dark. And logically I knew we had to be the only ones here. But I SWEAR I saw multiple shapes just beyond the shadows.

"SURPRISE!!"

A thunderous roar.

"AH!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed in horror.

I almost jumped right out of my boots. I teleported behind Damien's tall, study back and issued an order in full panic mode.

"Day, attack!" Instinct took over and made me draw the taser gun from my purse with practiced efficiency. I fired without a second thought.

ZZZZT~!

Someone went down. A burly young man with a glass full of what might have been wine keeled over, eyes rolling back into his head.

In the house's grand foyer were over two dozen strangers whose horror mirrored my own.

Damien walked over to the young man unflustered. "I told you she wasn't good with surprises." A wild grin oozing charisma.

"...."

I was at a loss for words. "Uh, Day...what's going on? Who are these people? Also, please tell me I didn't just kill someone.

He waved me off. "He'll be fine. As for this...it's your welcome party."

Since when do I get a welcome party? Did Day organize this for me? I wasn't sure, he wasn't the kind of guy to host this kind of thing.

Just as I was wondering how to act in this situation someone came up to me with outstretched arms intent of giving me a hug. I felt my entire body go stiff as a board.

"Oh wow, you're even cuter in person!" A tall, willowy brunette gushed. "I'm so glad I finally get to meet you." A pair of breasts pressed against me. i felt a sense of comfort somehow, which was weird. This girl's sickly-sweet tone was so nice and wholesome. " Poor thing, you must be freezing. Come on, let's get you a hot chocolate."

The woman's presence was overwhelming, as bright and warm as a small sun. She turned to the others cheerily. "Sorry, everyone, you're gonna have to wait before you start bombarding her with questions." Then directed her eyes towards Day. "Is it okay if i borrow your sister for a bit, Mr.Gage?"

"Have fun." He said curtly before helping my latest victim off the floor.

"Thanks!" She replied happily. "By the way, I'm Triss. Your brother's told us all a lot about you." She took my arm and led me away before I could even get a word in.

"Yeah?" I asked hopefully.

"Oh, totally. He's always talking about how cute and smart you are."

I felt my chest puff out pridefully. "Please do go on." I felt a disgustingly smug smirk plaster itself on my face.

She laughed, short and bubbly. "With pleasure. But first, let's get you that hot chocolate. Oh, and I just LOVE your coat."

Hot chocolate, gossip about Damien, and good taste in coats? "Triss, I think you and I are going to get along just fine."

"I hope so. We've got a long night ahead, after all."

While we maneuvered the crowded foyer arm in arm I got not a few stares directed my way. "Is it just me, or am I already famous? I'm not going to be remembered as the taser chick, right?"

Triss shook her head. "No way, silly. You're Prof. Gage's sister. 'Course you're famous. He's really popular around campus."

I saw a lot of young women in the throngs of strangers. Popular, huh. Yeah. I can guess what she meant by "popular" alright.

"Triss." Someone stepped forward, having just entered from the kitchen. " What a surprise, seeing you here." A tall blonde had blocked the way.

I couldn't help but blink. The woman was absolutely gorgeous with high cheekbones, sea-green eyes, and the most amazingly sensuous pair of hips I've ever seen. She exuded an effortless sex appeal in nothing but a sleek navy blue sweater that just barely covered her rear, black stockings that emphasized two endlessly long legs and a small golden chain hanging loosely around a perfectly proportioned waistline.

Even the way she walked had a kind of vivacious saunter to it.

"Not such a surprise. I was invited. You opened the door for me." I saw Triss' smile grown just a tad strained.

"Really? I didn't see you. Must've been someone else."

"You're the only blonde here." Triss' grip tightened.

"I'm sure that's not true." The woman dismissed. "Anyway, you must be Evie." The blonde's mouth formed a heart-stopping arc. "I'm Cami. I help out your brother sometimes with his work. Here, I got you this."

She handed me a large mug that left my mouth watering and my eyes rounded. I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. "Marsh mellows, whipped cream, caramel, and nutmeg? That's like, my favorite way of drinking hot cocoa."

Cami's grin was self-satisfied to the extreme, mirroring my own just moments ago. "I know." She chuckled, her voice relaxing and bell-like. "Your brother talks about you sometimes. I remembered it from a conversation we had a while back."

A while back? How long ago was that? And she remembered something that specific from just one talk with him? Okay. That wasn't weird at all. But I wasn't going to say anything. She seemed nice enough. still, there was something I was curious about.

"But I just got here. How did you...?"

"It was easy to guess when you would arrive. Given how long it takes to go and come back, and knowing how punctual he always is, it was a simple matter. Drink up. Enjoy your party. Come with me and I'll--" A short brown-haired girl started waving at us. "--Sorry, I have to go. Let's talk later. I'd love to get to know you better." She came and went like a force of nature.

Triss was frozen solid. "Um, ouch?" I pulled at her arm which was currently wound around one of my own with crushing force. Dang, this girl was strong.

She shook herself up a little and quickly let go. "Oh my god, I'm SO sorry. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

"Thank heavens." She breathed. "Really, I'm sorry about that. it's just Cami. She really gets under my skin sometimes, you know?"

"No love lost between you two, I'm guessing."

The woman laughed. "Yeah, that's an understatement. We can't stand each other. Forget about her, let me introduce you to everyone."

I could only offer a weak "Cool" in reply. This was going to be a long night, wasn't it?

39