Chapter 20: The Lion’s Pride
3.3k 10 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Patriarch

 

Chapter 20: The Lion's Pride

 

There was something strange felt on the tips of my fingers. I traced over it, again and again, until I was awake and aware enough to know what I was touching.

Skin. Except the skin was rough…

Aware as I was, I knew Brittany was the only one in bed with me.

Very gently on the bed, I adjusted myself to be more aware of how I was positioned. In my sleep, I must have rolled over on top of her.

As I opened my eyes, I looked and confirmed that to be the case. The sense of warmth from her body was enough for me to know better, but I just had to be certain it really was her. If my hand was on her skin, it felt odd.

I expected her skin to be smooth, not rough. So I had to look.

From my view, I watched the rise and fall of a bosom much larger than my own. Beyond those hills was a woman still deeply sleeping. As I had thought before, she likely had not gained a wink of sleep while with Greg last night.

She didn’t appear to be the age she said she was. I still thought of her being in her twenties. It was possible she was pulling my leg, but when she revealed her age to me, she was not in the kind of mood to be joking around.

Looking over her body, I’d say she was doing a damn fine job keeping herself in shape. When I thought about it, I should give ever more compliments to Shelly for doing that much better of a job.

I thought, ’Maybe we have really good genetics?’

But then there was my hand, which had slipped up and under her shirt to roam freely over her now bare midriff. The skin I felt… I wondered why she felt like that.

Looking down our bodies, I saw between us the explanation: scars.

That was when I remembered Jeremy mentioning she couldn’t have children.

’What happened to you?’ I silently wondered. I had seen the star shaped scars across her collar and a portion of her chest during my mock-modelling session.

Those were gunshot wounds.

Lifting my gaze back up, I stared at the woman who was Kim’s elder sister.

My sister. A person who I knew very little about was here, now, leaving herself completely vulnerable to somebody that could be considered a stranger.

...And yet, she obviously had experienced being hurt before. ’How can you trust me so much?’ I knew she loved Kim. That love transfered to me.

Maybe not in the same way Kim had, but I would love her back. I would absolutely become as devoted a sister to her. If she was being here and there to comfort me, I would do the same.

Right now, I thought we slept long enough. At least, I had, and I believed Brittany would appreciate sleeping either on her own or with someone who had at least taken a shower first.

“Yeah, I stink,” I said to myself --

-- and woke her up. She gave me a grin in response.

“Say that again and I’ll start calling you, Stinker.” And after she announced that, her grin grew into a wicked one.

I grinned right back at her for a second before rolling off of her --

-- but she pulled me back.

“Aw, leaving me so soon?” She gave me a pouty face and asked: “Am I really that terrible in bed?”

For a moment, I didn’t think before I said, “I wouldn’t know what you’re like in bed.” And as her wickedness transformed into naughtiness, I realized my poor choice of words. “I-- I mean, I don’t, ah… hey, I really need to clean up before --”

“Before what?” She raised her face up and close to mine to hear what I had to say in response.

“…” Which was only a silence and wide eyed reaction to what I feared would be next.

That had only broke her up into a fit of giggles. “Oh my God, you are just too cute!” She sat up and gave me a comforting hug. “Having some fun with a woman isn’t bad, you know?”

I whispered, “I know.”

“...You know?” She raised a brow at me and said, “Spill the beans.”

“Ah…” I wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea to talk about this, but she narrowed her eyes at me. “Um, okay, well, when I was hospitalized --”

“Wait, the hospital!?” It slowly appeared on her face, a seriousness that entirely destroyed that carefree nature of hers. “Who was it?”

That I didn’t want to disclose. Dr. Kimberly Anstone helped me get back on my feet. To me, I thought I could forgive those nights I was raped by her in exchange for the good she had done for me.

So I shook my head and kept my silence. In response, I watched her tight lips turn white before she began to slide off of the bed with me in her arms.

Once we were both standing, she let go of me, but slipped her hand around mine.

Then she said, “C’mon.”

In confusion, I asked: “Where…?”

“Upstairs, now.” And I quickly followed her directions.

While we climbed the stairs, I gradually began to hear the sounds of people walking on the other side of that door leading to the kitchen. If I was correct in my assumption, I had guessed there was cooking going on.

Upon the door opening, it was revealed I happened to be wrong: groceries. The rest of the family was unpacking bags and putting everything they bought away in cabinets, cupboards, fridges, and freezers.

At least, they were until us girls popped up out of the Underworld.

“Mom, can we have a moment?” Brittany spoke directly to Shelly, but quickly gestured at me and then instantly cut through the air to point outside of the kitchen towards the living room.

At that time, I was silent and not paying attention to how Shelly reacted. I was too busy looking at two Gregs and trying to figure out which one was the older one. If I could find an elderly feature, I would know who to call Dad.

They were both the same height. Same faces too. And, of course, both had giant, well-built, physiques.

’What the Hell is with this family? Do they give birth or clone themselves?’ As I thought about that, I realized there was a chance that theory might not be so impossible. I’d yet to understand how I was the same age as Greg without being a fraternal twin.

When I felt my hand being tugged, I knew I lost my current opportunity to discover the patriarch of the family.

We walked into the living room, but didn’t stop until we had entered Shelly’s room. Our mother shut the door right behind herself before I heard the faint, but for me, loud click of the door being locked.

While Shelly looked as if she was assessing what stance to take for this mother-daughter discussion, I was being guided to sit down on the end of the bed. Once I sat, Brittany turned and immediately got in our mother’s face.

“You said everything would be fine!” I had involuntarily winced at her shouting, but I supposed Shelly was used to her daughter’s mood swings.

She hadn’t even flinched, and calmly stated: “I’m listening. I’m not going anywhere.”

Brittany silently stood… Correction, she was huffing in frustration, but she did keep her mouth shut for the moment. I believed that she was calming herself down before another word would come flying out of her mouth.

At that time, it was sorta difficult to tell how calmed she was when her back was all I could see. But she didn’t shout this time.

“She wouldn’t tell me who did it.” If I hadn’t already known what she was talking about, I would’ve considered that to be too vague for to be comprehend.

“I was aware.” And that was why I was more surprised when Shelly apparently sounded like she did know. “While we were…” She stopped talking to look over and around Brittany’s shoulder at me, then resumed to speak. “When we picked you up, Dr. Anstone told me everything she had done to help you.”

My shoulders dropped. In fact, I thought the floor felt like it was rising up to meet me as I lowered myself down to stare up at her in disbelief.

For clarity, I had to ask an incredulous question. “You mean to say, she did that to help me?”

Before I could get my answer, Brittany obviously was satisfied to get hers. All she said was, “Dr. Anstone,” before she tried for the door --

-- and Shelly blocked her.

“I’m not leaving, and that goes double for you.” With that said, she gestured for her oldest child to sit by my side on the bed. “Please?”

But she didn’t join me, and yet, there wasn’t another attempt for the door. The two silently faced each other for awhile.

As I watched, I noticed Brittany’s shoulders were shaking as they slowly rose and fell. Then I heard her breathing. A trembling sound that had me remembering when she had cried last night.

Our mother welcomed her daughter into her opened arms. Brittany leaned in and was immediately embraced.

While I listened to my sister trying to muffle her sobbing into Shelly’s shoulder, I was perplexed by this family. Searching for answers, I restrained the temptation to raise my arm up like a curious schoolgirl.

Instead, I remained speechless and contemplated the differences between being sexually assaulted by Dr. Anstone and Jeremy. By law, I knew nothing could be done about him, and there was also the fact that he was attempting to make up for it.

...No, I was wrong about that. He was seeking absolution for torturing me, not raping me. ’So what’s the difference between a doctor and a prince having done this to me?’

All I did was watch. Because I knew how difficult it was to settle Brittany down, I couldn’t interrupt. ’Maybe later, I can ask about this?’

Crossing my arms, I hugged myself and continued to be quiet until the two separated. Brittany turned around and walked toward me before slipping down beside me on the bed.

At last, I wasn’t the only one hugging myself. She pulled me in, then raised a hand behind my head to press me cheek down onto her shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” was what she whispered to me. A second of confusion went by before she cleared that up with, “I should’ve been there.”

Now I understood why she was upset. She was fanatically protective of me.

“Britt, you...” I wanted to say that she couldn’t always be there for me, but that felt wrong. Instead of saying that, I closed my eyes and said, “I love you.”

I felt her shudder a breath just before she tightened her embrace around me. I let go of myself and hugged her back.

My hands felt along her shoulders, then down her spine, and around her waist. Seeing with my hands, I pictured the scars on her body, and compared them with my scarred face.

In a strange way, we might’ve been closer sisters than what Kim and her ever were now. But that was only a guess. I still didn’t know what kind of person Kim was, and I might never get to discover that secret.

Especially since it sounded like her computer was wiped of all photographs. ’Who knows what else had been destroyed?’ That discovery had upsetted Brittany… At least, I believed it was those photos that set her off last night.

Now wasn’t the time for me to find any kind of answer.

On the other side of the bed, I felt our mother reached to embrace the both of her daughters at the same time. I supposed she knew now was the time to be together.

At least us girls.

As for the guys, I guessed were left out of this for a very good reason. Us, a big bed, and them would lead to a completely different kind of togetherness I’d rather not be thinking about.

Before Brittany spoke again, I felt her calm down and gently slip out of our hugs.

“Mom, why did she tell you and not me?”

That question was curious. I thought, ’Because she’s our mother?’ I was fairly certain Shelly had more of a right to know these things over Brittany. But then again, I was still very new to this world.

At least our mother had a good answer.

“We both know why.” As she said that, she reached out again and took a gentle hold of Brittany’s hand. “You would’ve hurt yourself again if you’d gone.”

One puzzle piece clicking in place later and I got the impression how my sister wound up with those scars. I wondered, ’How often does she fly off the handle and go after somebody?’

And now, I felt like I was a little monkey trapped in the middle. I wasn’t sure if I should hug again, slip out and away, stay where I sat, lay back and relax, or say something. I wasn’t catching on what I should’ve been done in this situation.

After a moment to consider my options, I decided on saying something.

So I quietly asked: “I don’t stink, do I?”

Right on cue, Brittany cracked out a laugh and said, “You don’t stink, Stinker.”

But Shelly stated: “You do need a shower.”

Okay, I meant that to be a light hearted joke, but now I had to wonder. “...So I do or don’t stink?”

They both said, “Take a shower.” I got my answer to that question.

Slipping out from the between the two was easier once they stood back up. Brittany was the first to make it to the door, unlock it, and open it up for me to exit into the living room.

Across the living room, I saw the two Gregs were still out in the kitchen. They were having a conversation.

Both of them sounded similar, but the one on the right, back leaned and rested up against the sink’s counter, had a raspier voice than the left Greg seated at the table. I placed my earnings on the one on the right being the father.

To test my gamble, I walked past the two, but said to my left, “Hi, Greg.” To my right, “Hi, Dad.” And just before I disappeared into the bathroom, I turned to look over my shoulder and saw them both wave at me.

That looked like a good sign that I was right on the money. I closed the door and threw the shirt off onto the counter.

Finally, I managed to find the time to clean a busy night’s worth of sweat and more off of me. Despite the white noise of the shower, I could hear the entire family either moving around or speaking to each other beyond the bathroom door.

I was curious what they were discussing, but first things were first: cleanup. Once I finished, I could go out and see what all the hubbub was about.

And, perhaps, I could learn if this father figure would be any better than the one who abandoned me and Mom. I thought about that on how Shelly responded to the phone call fiasco, Greg’s silence, and the elusive reaction from Brittany when Gregory was brought up.

’Is he bad news?’ That was a worrisome thought. So far, it appeared everyone was getting along fine with him.

As I thought about the other members of the family, I looked down at myself. For some reason, I felt envious of Shelly and Brittany being so much bigger than me.

Honestly, I shouldn’t feel that way… I was a guy on the inside. Emphasis on was.

There was still a lot of discoveries to be made before I could understand anything about what had happened to me, or I supposed in this case, what was going on. It was becoming clear that my mental state and behavior was shifting away from what a man should be thinking and more towards something more feminine.

’I mean, I really am thinking about how much better it would be to have big boobs? Seriously!?’ It was a ridiculous thought.

I sighed, shut off the shower, and stepped out to find a towel to dry up and tie around myself.

Before walking out, I made damn sure the towel was on me. There was no way I would be repeating my last streaking episode with a whole party just outside the door.

At long last, I opened the door and stepped right on into the kitchen to more formally meet my father.

“Hi again,” I said, and kept on walking to indicate right now still wasn’t a good time to talk.

Around these guys, even the women, I felt more comfortable being dressed. So I went straight to my room to find some ‘jamies.

With my bedroom door closed, I went to that huge bottom drawer and pulled out a red pair of pants and blue shirt this time around.

The next time I talked with Shelly, or maybe Brittany, I really needed to bring up about expanding my wardrobe. Wearing nightwear all the time really felt like I was asking for something to happen to me.

...And I seriously was not a fan of Brittany’s suits! Not again, unless I absolutely had no choice.

Fully dressed, I quietly padded on bare feet out of my room and traversed through the living room to see what everyone had been up to. With a smile on my face, I waved at everyone.

As I wasn’t certain if I should give Gregory a hug, I first asked: “What I miss?”

When he did push off and away from the counter, I took that as my cue and walked over to him. There was a bit of surprise on his face when I did hug him around the waist.

He didn’t immediately hug me back, but after a couple of seconds, I supposed he got over his shock and finally hugged me back. I thought, ’Maybe there was some tension between him and Kim?’

The father answered me by saying, “I missed you.”

“And her dinner,” came from the mother.

Right over my head, he exasperatedly replied: “I showed you --”

“I know, I know, but you will make it up to her. Understood?” After hearing that, I must have missed something that would’ve been in my interest.

So I looked up at Gregory, and with a soft voice, I asked: “What’s going on?”

He smiled down at me, gave the top of my short haired head a pat, and stated: “When we are allowed, I’ll take you out to eat at any place you want.”

That sounded like a treat, but I wasn’t familiar with any locations around here or anywhere.

With that fact in my thoughts, I responded with, “I think I’ll need help choosing a place.” And without looking, I instantly knew who it was cackling with laughter behind me.

But Gregory looked up and away from me, eyed each of the family, and let one arm go to pointedly state: “No, no, and absolutely no.” His head tilted as he glared before saying, “Britt, don’t give her ideas. If she wants help, she’ll get it coming from me.”

Him and his son sounded like they both had a firm stance and resolve. So far, other than the rasp in his voice, I was going to have a difficult time telling them apart. That was, unless they dressed differently like Shelly and Brittany had done.

Unfortunately, suits continued to be the dominant trend in the household.

After another moment, I finally let go of the sharp dressed older man. I stepped back to pull out a chair for me to take a seat.

I did have a question for my Dad, and I asked it.

“How much different do I look?”

It was a trick question. That was because I knew the other family members were doing a fine job keeping Kim’s appearance a secret.

“As beautiful as ever.” It would figure he’d say that.

In response, I sighed and nodded. I wasn’t going to find any answers here.

Then again, I hadn’t searched everywhere. I’d yet to enter either of my siblings’ rooms. I saw yesterday that Greg was rather shy about me peeking into his room. ’Does he have something to hide from me?’

In an instant, I decided the next time Greg was out and about, I’d sneak in behind door number one before I attempted to explore door number two: Brittany’s room. At least, so long as those doors weren’t left locked up while they were gone.

Formerly being a single child, I never experienced what it was like to have siblings, but I heard the horror tales. That didn’t appear to be the case here, but I thought this fucked up world made up for that nightmare.

Now that I had their love and affection on my mind, I was having second thoughts. I vowed I wouldn’t be a burden to them, and what I was planning sounded a lot like it would be trouble.

’Should I just accept I’d never know who I was before or what happened?’ I didn’t want to, but I really was running out of good options here.

“--ry?” Snapped out of my thoughts, I perked up at my brother raising his voice to grab my attention.

“Sorry, what was that?”

Brittany leaned in and said, “He asked if you were hungry, Space Cadet.”

Leaning back in my chair, I reached up and stretched out while saying, “Yeah. What’s on the menu?”

Of course, my sister slipped in a whisper behind my ear saying, “You, if you continue not wearing a bra, Perky.” And that immediately made me drop my arms and cover my chest. “Ohh, you are too cute. I think we should eat her.”

In response, I could’t slip any lower in my seat without falling out and under the table to hide. I knew she really wouldn’t cannibalize me, but I was quite certain that she could encourage a more disturbing sexual approach into eating me.

In a mousy whisper to her, I pleaded: “Could we not add family to the menu, please?”

“No can do. I planned a midnight snack tonight.” My sister leaned down to whisper, “Sausage. I’ll save you a link?”

I paled in response. “No, thank you.”

As I slid myself back upright, she shrugged and took her own seat at the table.

When I looked to everyone else for their reactions to us, I saw what I expected: casualness. They really were not bothered with incest at all.

In a biological view, I supposed when it came to Brittany being infertile, there was no worry.

...I quickly choked when I thought about my fertility. Pushing out of my chair, I stood up and headed for the living room.

Nodding to the bewildered family, I said, “Excuse me.” Then in a shaky voice, I called: “Brittany?” Almost instantly, she got right back up and leaned in to hear me. “I -- I need a plan B.”

“A what?” The moment she questioned me, I realized this world might call a morning after pill something else. I pulled her into the living room to have a private discussion.

Once more I asked, but I tried the other obvious name for it. “A morning after pill?”

She shook her head in incomprehension. I thought over what else they might have called it, but nothing came to mind.

For her to understand, I decided to explain what the pill I needed would do.

Because I didn’t want to alarm anyone in the kitchen, and spoke the softest whisper possible to indicate she should be doing the same.

“Jeremy wasn’t wearing any protection. He… I know there is a great risk I could get pregnant.” In haste to get to the point, I rolled my hand to imply I wasn’t sure what to say as I said, “I need to stop it.”

There was a second or two of silence before she responded with, “We can’t.” When I started to shake my head, she reminded me. “Royalty. You cannot terminate a royal fetus.”

Stunned by her words, I stood there and stared at her in absolute shock.

Rationalizing it, I stated: "This isn't termination. It's prevention."

She still shook her head.

To no one, everyone, and if it was heard, to God I asked: “What can I do?”

In answer to my question, Shelly stepped out of the kitchen and joined us to say, “Wait two weeks. Then we’ll see if you carry his child.”

The deal she made with Jeremy made sense now. That didn’t mean I liked it any better, or for that matter, him...

15