Chapter 14: The City of Beginnings
85 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*crunch*

*crackle*

My journey to Rodby City has only taken me nearly half a day, but it felt like I’ve been walking for a week.

Hunger, thirst, exhaustion- these three things added on to the weight burdening my shoulder.

With every step I took, the more my legs hurt. 

I wanted to complain, but Earl kept saying

‘Shut the fuck up already!’

He has such profane language, and I honestly don’t think he cares. 

I would ask more questions, but all I could think about is food. 

Am I even going the right way? 

I was in despair until I faintly heard chatter and men shouting in the distance.

Oh my god… 

My pain and exhaustion alleviated.

The smell of bakeries made my hunger become exponentially worse. 

I went from a desperate walk into a desperate sprint.

Although I wasn’t fast at the moment, I felt like the fastest man in the world.

The noise and smells from the city grew with every step I took. 

The leaves crunched beneath me as I stepped on them.

Then, I witnessed

The City of Beginnings… 

Large thick stone walls with towers and deep waters leading into the ocean surrounded the city. 

Huge red flags from each tower blew with the wind. They were blazoned with an owl spreading its wings, and were outlined in gold. 

Sturdy archways supported a flat roadway that led to the gates of the city. 

Horses carrying carriages galloped down this road, while few young people came to and from the gates. 

I made my way to the side of the bridge.

I nearly ran into a carriage on my way.

“Get out of the way!” Shouted the driver.

“Sorry!” I shouted to make sure he heard. 

The driver mumbled insults at me, and I was sure because he gave me the eye of disapproval. 

Passerby looked at me curiously. One was even bold enough to ask what I was doing alone.

“What’re you doing, kid?” A tall woman with brown, skinny temple braided hair asked.

“I’m going to the city…” 

“Oh… alright…” 

Must be unusual for kids to pass here.

‘Obviously. By the way, you’re going to have to sneak through the gates, ’ Earl said ever so suddenly

Why didn’t you tell me in the first place?

I smacked my face, which probably was the reason why the woman waved goodbye as she walked away, probably judging me.

My stomach growled.

I sighed, and made my way to the gate. 

There was a small line of people. Some held on the neck straps on their horses while the others conversed with each other.

There were 14 guards at the gate, 7 on each side. They all wore silver helmets, leather garments, a chestplate, and gauntlets. Some had spears while the others had short swords.

There were only 2 guards who wore no armor at all, and were equipped with long wooden bows. These archers all wore dark brown garments and leather boots. 

I was hoping that I could sneak by without having to provide any identification, but the guards just watched me and laughed as I passed hurriedly. 

And here I was.

Finally in The City of Beginnings.

There were Inns, Coopers, pigsty, forges, markets filled with stalls of vast foods, jewelry, and weapons. 

Choirs consisting of only men sang together as some stood and listened while many passed by.

Some people held their mules and horses by their neck straps. Nearly all of the mules and horses were carrying baggage and such for their owners. 

I was caught by surprise when I found very short people with lumped backs at the forges and markets. 

Dwarves?

Not only were there dwarves, there were also people with long and sharp ears, and patulous lips.

Elves?

‘Yes, Gedo Kingdom excels in population, economy, and production success because of its diversity in races.’

I’ve never seen any other race before…

‘I’m sure you haven’t.’

Yes… because I just said I haven’t… 

I walked into the crowd and made my way into the market. 

Maybe I could beg for food?

‘As if these people would care.’

He wasn’t wrong, and I knew that. Even in great cities like these, people are just as desperate as I to provide for their families and themselves. 

I spent the rest of the day being pushed around by the large crowd to make it to each stall to beg for food. Every attempt for food failed. The stall owners either waved me off or tried kicking me away. Every attempt except…

“Mister, may I have some food? I’m starving and I have no family…” I pulled on a dwarf’s tunic who stood behind his stall. He turned his head towards me, and his long beard followed. It would’ve hit me in the face if I hadn't dodged it. 

“Hm?” 

“I’m hungry sir… please…” I got ready to dodge an oncoming kick if it were to happen.

“Hey… are you Paul’s son?” Asked the dwarf, his eyebrow nearly reaching the end of his forehead.

“Uh- yes…”

“I’ll be damned…” The dwarf’s long funnel nose twitched, and his fat lips puckered. 

“Excuse me! I was ordering something!” The dwarf’s customer he was dealing with grew impatient.

“Ah! Yes…” The dwarf got back to finishing with the customer. There was a long line of customers at his stall. 

“Here.” The dwarf stood on his stool and reached for bread on one of the rows of food on his stall. He gave me a cup and pointed to a bucket filled with water. 

“I’ll get to you later. Stay here.” The dwarf continued on with his customers, bargaining with them. 

Meanwhile, I was digging into my bread and warm water. I wanted to ask for more but I didn’t want to be greedy. I was still hungry, but I could wait a little longer to explain my situation to him.

He knows Paul… how did he know I was his son?

‘Maybe it’s because of your features.’

I don’t know… there could be a lot of people with the same hair color and style as mine…

‘Hm.’

I didn't know if I should be worried or in glee that he knows Paul.

Paul is reckless. I thought that maybe he's done something terrible to this dwarf, and that the dwarf would want revenge on me.

5