Chapter 15: Take Me To Church
72 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time went on. I nearly drunk the whole bucket of warm water, and the dwarf handed me another piece of bread. I decided to eat it slowly this time, that way I would feel less hungry later. 

The sun fell and even more people came out. The dwarf’s line cut shorter and shorter after every hour. 

People seemed to be finished with their food shopping, and men of all kinds were more attracted to the stalls with swords and such. 

The dwarf finally finished with his customers and waved off oncoming customers. He waved for me to stand next to him.

“Come here. Alaric was it? Sorry, I don’t want to turn my back on this stall. Lot’s of stealing.” The dwarf laughed.

“Yes… um… who’re you?”

“Oh- Bobby Burchard, the name. Pardon me, quite rude to not introduce myself.”

I waved the apology off and gave an awkward smile. “The first time I met your father was when he saved me from thugs who were robbing me. We went to Reynold’s Tavern later that night. Anyway- how’d you get here? Who’s with you?” Bobby bluntly asked, though he didn’t seem to think it was so rash of him to ask so suddenly, and it didn’t really concern me either.

Ah… 

I spent the next few minutes explaining everything to Bobby. His face was filled with mixed emotions during my telling. 

The only thing I didn’t tell him was about Earl and what happened in my dreams.

*gasp*

*aww*

*whiff*

He’s very emotional…

‘Dwarves are susceptible to their emotions… the most prideful in their work you could say. But they are powerful indeed. Quite reliable.’ Earl informed

“That’s terrible! And for only you to come out of it…” Bobby nearly cried.

“Don’t worry. I’m getting by…” Bobby sniffed and wiped his tears off his cheeks. 

“I saw your father last month, actually… he came to speak with me and told me he’d be off adventuring again.”

“Really? Where is he?”

“Ah- I don’t know… those were the last words I heard from him.” 

Bobby’s muscles flexed everytime he seemed tense, and it made me feel somewhat uncomfortable and jealous…

“Well… I suppose you’d need a place to stay now…”

I felt thrilled that I’d finally have a place to stay, and I assumed too quickly that Bobby was suggesting that I could live with him. 

“There’s a church-”

Oh no…

“On the hill on Kurter’s Road. They take children who've been abandoned or have no family.” Bobby pointed to his left, above a few buildings, where I could see the top of the church. 

It was a place to stay, but if it meant that I probably had to live with other people, I’d lose my mind. I was the definition of introvert. My social skills haven’t improved when I was playing with Thomas and the others because they’d usually talk to other kids we were playing with at the time while I watched from behind.

“Unfortunately, I cannot take you there without leaving my stall unattended. I’m sure you can take directions? Your mother has told me how smart you were when Otis brought her to this stall… er- well-” Bobby smacked his face. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have brought er’ up.” 

“It’s fine. Yes, I can take directions.” Bobby went on about the directions, gave me another piece of bread and waved me off goodbye. 

I kept my piece of bread close to meat, eating while taking in the atmosphere. 

It took me about 10 minutes to reach the church as it wasn’t particularly far from Bobby’s stall. 

I found myself at the bottom of a stone pathway that led up the hill to the church.

I thought it’d be a lot bigger than what it was, but the hill was fairly tall. 

The church itself was somewhat small, and torn down.

Next to the church was a smaller building with unglazed windows. I couldn’t make out what it’s purpose was yet exactly, but it caught my eye. 

As I was analyzing what was presented before me, a soft-spoken voice came from behind me, making me jump. 

“Excuse me…” 

I turned around only for my eyes to open wide in awe. 

It was a short, cute girl- long blonde hair coming out through the sides of her wimple and it would rest on her long gown. Oh, and she had bangs which really complemented her hair. Her skin was pale ivory. 

She looked my age, or maybe even a year younger. 

Her celestial nose really went well with her soft lips and thin eyebrows.

I felt weird admiring her beauty because she was very young and I was mentally… 23 years in terms of my age in this life and my previous life combined. 

I couldn’t resist breaking out in awkwardness, however. 

“Er- ye- yeah?” I stuttered

“I need to…” The girl pointed at the church. “I need to get to the church.” I turned to the church and then looked at my feet.

I’m blocking the entryway of the stone path…

The stone path was fairly thin enough for just one person, and I was hogging the entrance. 

“Oh… sorry.” I noticed that she was carrying a basket nearly filled with berries. “Do you want me to carry that?”

“N-no…” The girl then blushed, perhaps of embarrassment. “I mean you don’t have to.”

For some reason I blushed as well. Perhaps it was the sun…

Ah… she’s just as young and innocent as these other kids…

‘What? You’re a kid too…’ Earl interrupted

I almost forgot you were there…

“Can you- um…” 

“Oh… yeah… sorry…” I shuffled out of the way, and the girl started making her towards the pathway. “Are you sure you don’t want me to carry that?” I bluntly asked again

She wasn’t struggling carrying that or anything, I just felt I had to do something. 

The girl stopped and tried looking at me but would avoid eye contact.

‘Kid are you going to get moving or keep flirting?’ Earl sounded as if he didn’t want to hear it between us two. 

Just leave me alone, will you? 

I awkwardly smiled, staring at the girl.

She finally looked me in the eye, and I realized that I was awkwardly smiling, and I froze still.

“Ok…” The girl handed me her basket and started up the path of stones. I followed behind her, looking down at the stones. I didn’t want to look up because I’d be looking at her bum. I felt guilty that I blushed at the thought. 

“Thank you…” the girl murmured. Her shyness really reminded me of how other kids were just as shy as her. The more comfortable they get with you, however, the more their true colors show. 

“Yeah, sure.” The girl and I made our way up the stone path to the church.

5