Chapter 17: Execution Traditions
62 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A day has passed, and I confined myself in my own room.

No one had come into this room, and I was assuming it was empty from the beginning until I was shown here. 

I was guessing there weren’t any assigned rooms other than boys live on one side of the hall while the girls live on the other. 

However, there were much more boys than girls here, so most of the rooms on the other side of the hall were empty. 

I readied myself for class, and set out for the classroom. Only now did I realize that it was very cold and dark in the hallways. 

There were few unlit lanterns hanging on the arched roofs leading to the only exit. 

The floor was made of hard stone. 

Every step I made a small echo throughout the hallway.

I left the building and made my way into the classroom. 

I trailed behind another student who was walking to the classroom to avoid any social interaction. 

When I made it into the classroom, I found the girl that I was nearly dying to ask for her name.

I approached her, and she shifted her gaze upon her desk onto my eyes.

I stopped and hesitated, blushing. She watched me in curiosity. 

I continued, but now with a more stiff walk. 

“Ah, excuse me?” 

“Yes?” The girl looked at me in curiosity

“Do you, um… What's your name?” I was about to ask her if she had a name, and I felt really stupid for thinking that.

“Oh- uh…” She hesitated and looked down between her thighs.

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to… I’d get that. Being like that… yeah…” 

“Eve… Eve Bluee.” 

“Oh…” It was a nice name, I thought. 

“OOO! Alaric having a little flirt with Eve?!” 

Oh God no…

It was Tommy shouting from the doorway. I knew he was coming, but I really hoped something awful happened to him in his sleep. 

“W-what?” Eve asked as she blushed.

“No! Go away, Tommy!” I shouted, blushing even harder. Then I remembered what Earl taught me. 

Stay composed…

I dusted my shoulders and straightened my back.

“Please, s-stop.” I begged.

Tommy wasn’t intentionally a bully. He was just an idiot who was a bully without actually realizing he was a bully.

There’s a word for that, right?

“Ah… alright!” Tomas gave a big grin and strolled to his seat.

I didn’t really want to turn back to Eve because of how awkward it would be if I just continued to converse with her after that.

“Well, see ya’ later.” I gave a small wave goodbye, my back facing Eve. I could feel her peering down my shoulder in curiosity and embarrassment. 

I made my way to my seat, and Sister Amy had just entered the room.

“Good morning, class.” 

“Good morning, Sister Amy!” The class rose and sang together. I rose but I didn’t say anything. I wanted to greet her too, but I just instinctively said nothing.

We all sat down and jumped to Sister Amy plopping her books on her desk just like we did yesterday.

Part of me wanted to adjust to this as my new normal days, the other kept urging me to think about the execution. I wasn’t afraid, but I was somewhat anxious for a few reasons. All of which could be explained in two words.

Magic.

Death.

I was anxious to get new magic, and I felt anxious that I would have some sort of PTSD from watching an execution. 

But I kept telling myself

What has to be done… has to be done.

Meanwhile, something has been lingering inside of me. Although the more time had passed and the more it’d feel as if it was fading away, it would never go away. 

I couldn’t put it in exact words.

I felt as if I was missing something.

I spent the rest of class looking out the window. 

Sister Amy finally caught on to this, and had asked me a question to embarrass me in front of the whole class so I could learn a lesson. 

“What is James Barat most known for, Alaric Grimald?” Sister Amy asked.

“Hm?”

“What is James Bart most known for?” Sister Amy repeated herself.

“Ah…”
I recollected what I had learned in the books Ceday had given me. Some were history books, and many of those history books always mentioned James Barat. 

“I’m wai-”

“Oh! James Barat was a renowned magician for the Zudor empire. He manipulated the minds of a whole army to surrender. His mana capability was like… mind controlling?” Some students turned to me in awe, while the others kept their heads forward.

I knew Sister Amy wasn’t really trying to embarrass me, she just wanted me to pay attention. But that moment was my time to shine.

“Well- yes. One thing, though. It is said that he could also read minds.”

It’d be nice if I had an ability like that. 

‘You could control a whole army.’ 

Yeah.

‘It’s not impossible.’

Having that mana capability?

‘I suppose I have to tell you, then.’

Sister Amy continued her teachings. 

Well?

‘I’ll tell you later. There’s something I must do.’

Earl, there’s nothing you could do, right?

‘My mana is pouring into you rapidly. Eventually I will lose communication with you when you are conscious.’ 

Oh… so what’re you doing?

I didn’t mind Earl leaving my headspace alone because I really did want to think freely without raising any suspicion.

I thought that it wouldn’t really matter if Earl knew that I was reincarnated, but I didn’t want him to know who I was, so I kept it a secret.

I knew it was a stupid reason not to tell him, but I stuck to it.

‘I’m trying to limit the amount of mana I’m pouring into you so I could guide you to completing a few things before I leave you out alone.’

Why not tell me when I’m sleeping?

‘It’s easier when I’m with you in your mind. I can also read mana.’

Oh yeah… that’s right…

‘At times, you really are stupid…’

Ok… 

As soon as class ended, I dodged Tomas and ran out the door immediately after Sister Amy had dismissed us and left. 

I wanted to get my mana capability as fast as I could, and for all I knew, someone with a very rare mana capability is probably being executed right now.

I ran into a few people while I ran down and up the streets.

“Watch it!”

“Damn you!”

“Hey!”

They all shouted as I bumped into them.

I stopped for a moment, panting.

Earl, are you back yet?

‘Yes.’

Why didn’t you tell me?

‘I just got back.’

Whatever. Can you use your mana to search for a crowd of people and a strong mana capability?

‘Yes. I can search 100 meters. I’d advise to go deeper into the city to find executions of more dangerous criminals. The further you go, the more security you’ll see, thus the more dangerous executions are being held there.’

Hm.

I made my way deeper into the city towards a large castle, which I assumed was in the middle of the city.

We were fairly deep in the city now. It took me about 25 minutes to make it to where I was now.

‘I see. Make way down this road then make a left.’ 

Alright…

In the distance, I could hear a voice proclaiming an execution.

“For multiple accusations of murder of a Royal Guard, rape, thievery, and speaking against Sir Charles, I hereby sentence you to death by beheading. 

I found a somewhat large crowd surrounding a yard of sand protected by a wooden fence. 

“Death to sinners!” The crowd chanted. One person was praying for the criminal.

I made my way through the crowd just to find a man pilloried. He was whipped multiple times, and his eyes begged for death. 

A fairly-aged man stood next to him with a dirty, blood stained axe that has lost some of it’s edge. 

‘Most executioners are men who were also convicted of crimes, but had a chance to live as long as they promised to execute for their city.’ 

Ah… 

I didn’t really care as much about that fact. I scanned the crowd to find only two people with cups. They were ready to jump the fence as soon as the executioner was ready to cut the criminal’s head off. 

‘Strong mana… this is perfect for you.’

I see…

Magic was soon to be in my hands. Even I wanted the executioner to just pull the trigger and behead him already. 

6