Chapter 21: My New Friend
44 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I tuned my mana in both of my legs to a certain frequency and exerted it, trying to cast my wind magic. and exerted. 

My first attempt at using it was an absolute failure. I tuned it just near to the right frequency, but I exerted too much mana, and I ended up flying backward and landing face first, rolling down the back of the Church’s hill. 

I’m learning and training behind the church so no one spots me doing so, just as Earl advised. 

‘It’s best if no one knows any of your powers,’ Earl had told me in my dreams. He hadn’t told me a specific reason, but I could think of a few. If someone saw me using multiple mana capabilities, they’d grow suspicious and might think I’m the next vampire of Varyn. They wouldn’t be entirely wrong though.

“HMMPH!” My very next attempt, I was floating a few inches off the ground, swinging my arms to keep my balance in the air. 

Once I found my balance, I slowly began floating around. I could feel my mana exhausting at a very fast rate, but I had a large pool of it, so I could continue for a while. 

Every time I tensed my mana more, I grew more stable and flew just a few inches higher. 

I gave a small smirk, spun around until I grew sick, and fell on the grass to throw up. 

The very next hour I started Earl’s strict exercise until my body was completely exhausted. 

I was drenched in sweat, and found laying in the grass by a distressed Sister Amy. 

 

Nothing out of the ordinary happened for a very long while with my stay at the church. 

Nothing out of the ordinary for 2 years. I couldn’t believe that after such a long chain of disastrous events, I was living in peace for 2 years straight. I was still being harassed everyday by Tomas, but that was nothing compared to all the deaths I’ve witnessed. 

I was a happy 9 year old with absolutely no friends. 

I sighed. Just thinking about having nothing to do made me antsy. I was even considering making new friends, but I felt like I couldn’t move on from them. 

Just then, a thought struck me cold.

Tomas… he was alive when I got captured… Why didn’t I think about him!?

When I escaped, I completely forgot that Tomas was there with me. I felt guilty for forgetting about him for a whole 2 years. I sat up from my bed. 

What should I do?
My mana has significantly improved since I was 7, and I have magic now. I could do something now. 

I ruffled my hair, thinking of what I should do.

Could he still be at that manor? 

“Excuse me?” said a gentle voice from my door. My eyes shot from my knees to Eve who was standing in my doorway. 

“Oh- yes?” I scanned through the now more developed Eve and her smooth black linen frocks with a white linen collar. I blushed in guilt, and looked away as Eve looked at me confused. 

“Sister Amy wants you to come down for dinner… she’s asking why you’re always late to the table.” She played with her hair running down her chest coming through her wimple. 

“Oh…” I rubbed my sweaty forehead and stood up.

“Uh- Eve. You have friends, right?” 

“Uh…” Eve hesitated to answer. I thought she took the question to offense, but she obviously didn’t. 

“I’m sure you would, I mean, because- well… you know…” 

“Not really.” Eve responded

“Oh…” There was a brief silence. 

“Do you- uh…I can be your friend.” I muttered, feeling slight embarrassment immediately after proposing. I looked into Eve’s eyes and we both immediately gazed at the ground.

“Sure…” Eve took small steps and sat on the other bed. “Why ask?” 

“Oh- you know…” I immediately looked between my legs. 

She doesn’t know, dumbass. I insulted myself

“I was going to ask you how far you’d go to save your friends.” I followed up immediately after. 

“Oh…” Eve thought about it. “I guess it’d matter how much they mean to me…” 

Not a bad answer…

“I see.” I turned to Eve who had her arms resting between her thighs, and her blue eyes were gazing on mine. I felt guilty for being attracted to a 9 year old when I’m mentally an adult. I lost track of my age between my previous world and this world. 

It felt as if our eyes were locked for a long moment, because they only disconnected when we made our way to the church for dinner. 

 

During the meal I have already decided to go back to the manor and find Tomas. 

I had little to no sleep that night. I was anxious for what may come, what I may find, or what I may encounter. 

The very next morning I left before the sun even rose. I waited to use my wind manipulation magic to fly until I made it outside of the city so I wouldn't attract attention. And for all I know, it’s likely that using magic in public is illegal here. 

I took my usual route and passed by Bobby who was setting up his stall for the day.

“Where ya’ heading to so early?” asked Bobby as he handed me a large piece of bread.

“Out of the city. I’m going back to the manor.” Immediately, Bobby grabbed my shoulder and gave me a concerning stare.

“The manor? That manor?! Are ya’ out of your mind?” cried Bobby.

“My friend may be there-”

“Your friend? It’s been years and now you want to go find him?” I bit my lip in guilt.

“I… I was weak then… now… I can help him!”

“Alaric, you’re only 9! 9!” Bobby reiterated my age, shaking his fat finger.

“Bobby, I have to go.”

“You don’t!” 

“Sorry, Bobby.” I shooed Bobby’s hand off my shoulder and made my way to the gate. Bobby followed me to the end of the alleyway until I turned the corner and was out of sight. 

I made my way through crowds and passing guards and to the gate. 

The guards glanced at me, but went right back to chatting. 

I made my way through the bridge and found myself on a dirt road.

I had a feeling of bad nostalgia as I took a whiff of the air and set foot to the manor.

3