Chapter 22: Back to the Unordinary
34 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I squinted as the wind pressed against my face as I flew in the air. If I wasn’t able to fly, it’d take me hours to find the manor again. 

It took me only 10 minutes to reach the manor, or at least what was left of it. 

The manor had collapsed. It’s remaining pieces had burn marks and the beautiful grass surrounding the manor had been burned. I stood underneath a large arch gate, the entrance of the manor. 

I clenched my fists and bit my lip in anger.

 I used my wind manipulation to throw pieces of the manor around to find any bodies, thankfully I haven’t found any. I felt a little relief knowing that Tomas may still be alive. 

As I turned around, I found myself facing a large, plump old man in a black butler’s suit approaching me from a fancy wagon stationed on the side of the dirt road. 

Have they been there? Did I not notice them? 

“Good morning, child.” The plump man waved his wand and gave a majestic bow. “My name is Fletcher. I am a servant to the Taywin Chalot house.” The plump man raised his head, and his short, chunky brown beard followed. “What may your name be?” Fletcher had attractive brown slick hair, but a really fat face. 

“Oh… uh…” 

Who is this guy? Wait… Is he a pedophile?!

“Do not be afraid, child. I’m just intrigued with your mana capability and intensity.” He gave a disturbing smirk, although it seemed as if he didn’t intend it to be so freaky.

Ah shit, he seen me… should I just go by another name? 

“Ah…” I coughed awkwardly into my clenched fist. “My name is Jiro Nakajima.” I blurted. 

My Japanese name? Will he even believe that?

“Interesting name… hm… well-” He moved aside and pointed towards the wagon. 

“A young lady in that wagon is going to the most prestigious magic academy of Rodby City.” The plump man scanned me.

“Hm… would you be attending as well?” He sounded a little more disinterested. 

“Ah… never heard of it until now…” 

“A shame, truly.” Fletcher shook his head and tisked. “Well, you have great mana potential. Surely you’d catch the eye of Palmer’s Magic Academy.” He stroked his beard.

“Is that the prestigious magic academy you were speaking of?”I asked, and Fletcher nodded.

“Well, we don't have much time. I suppose I’d get to the point.” Fletcher turned back to me. “You see, that young lady has special mana potential, but she needs an instructor, you see?” He held his chin in disappointment. 

“Of all the instructors Sir Chalot had hired, none of them seemed interested in teaching her.”

I see where this is going… Of all things, I didn’t expect this encounter…

“Maybe you wou-” I interjected before Fletcher could ask me his question

“Sir, with all due respect, I’m only 9 years old.” I did look fairly older, maybe even 13. I was built as well, so of course someone may mistake me for being older than I really am. “I don’t know if I’m a great teacher, anyway.” 

“It’s worth the try, you know? Plus, I haven’t seen instructors with such great mana potential as yourself.” 

“Ah…” I paused, considered, and decided that I just simply couldn’t. “I’m sorry but-”

“I’ll fetch you new clothes and feed you good food.” Fletcher gave me a striking gaze with his burning brown eyes.

“I’m in.” I immediately changed my decision. I wanted out of this scratchy uniform, and I’ve had nothing but bread for every meal since I resided in Rodby City. 

Well… it can’t be that bad… right?

“Perfect! Come with me, please.” Fletcher bowed yet again and pointed towards the wagon with an open hand. 

I walked at a quick pace towards the wagon. 

I made my way up the steps, and Fletcher opened the sliding door with one word.

“Open.” 

The door slid open, and I was bewildered. I could now see inside the fancy wagon. 

Cushioned seats, a fancy light hanging on the ceiling, and a beautiful girl who looked my age sat at the far end of the seats to my left. 

She had flaming red hair and a beautiful figure. I blushed guiltily, and questioned how many times I would have to go through such indecent thoughts of a young child. To my sudden surprise, she looked at me in disgust and surprise and shouted “FLETCHER! FLETCHER!”

Fletcher shoved me inside the wagon, and I stumbled forward towards the girl. Just as I was about to fall in her lap, she gave an outstanding kick to my chin, and I fell between the aisle. 

Fletcher sat me up on the opposite aisle of seats, and shook his finger at the girl. 

“Lady Celie, you can’t go kicking strangers like that.” 

“That’s no stranger, that’s a rodent!” She scoffed. 

I held my chin tight, and I was in absolute agony. 

“He was going to touch me! How indecent! Get him out of here Fletcher, now!” 

“Lady, this is your new instructor. So please, calm down.”

“Instructor?” Celie stood up. “INSTRUCTOR?!” she shouted. “Are you out of your mind? A peasant to instruct me!?”

You bitch…

I wasn’t mad at her attitude or remarks. For all I cared, I couldn’t give a shit. However, I was absolutely furious that she kicked my face. It left a large bump on my chin. 

“Now now” Fletcher settled next to Celie. “He has excellent mana potential, maybe even surpassing yourself. I’m sure he can teach you a few things. After all, he can already use his mana capability quite well.” Lady Celie cycled her glares between me and Fletcher. 

“You’ve lost it, old man.” Lady Celie crossed her arms and fell back into her seat. 

“Sorry, Sir Nakojima. Shall we continue?” Fletcher immediately changed the subject. However, I nodded, and Fletcher shouted at the driver to continue. 

We made our way back to Rodby City. 

During the journey back, Lady Celie gave me quick glances and sneers while Fletcher attended to his book, giving small smiles every now and then. 

What have I gotten myself into…

3