Chapter 23: Hothead Girl, Magic Dueling!
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was fantasizing about monsters jumping in front of the wagon and I saved the day while Lady Celie was kissing my shoes, apologizing. Sadly, this wasn’t a damn anime, and it was just a long boring ride of anxiousness and everything opposite of apologies from Celie. 

As we reached the bridge to Rodby City’s gate, I began to wonder what Sister Amy would do when I returned. After all, I missed her class today, and she’s quite strict on her education. 

Although it was only history and outdated math, it was a prized education to many peasants. 

I yanked on a blanket that covered a small window and watched the people pass down below. 

I drooled in amusement, and Celie scrunched her face in disgust. 

I turned to her and she looked away, puffing heavily with her arms still crossed. 

 

We arrived at a large brick manor surrounded by neatly cut bushes, a large white fountain shooting water from multiple sides and into its shallow pool, maids caring for plants, and two men chattering standing by the large front wooden doors that lead to the inside of the manor. The wagon made its way through a stone horseshoe driveway with a few other parked wagons. Celie kicked my ankle as she passed by me and was helped out and down the wagon by Fletcher. Fletcher helped me as well as I limped with the two as they strolled through the evergreen garden and into the entrance. 

The two men’s chattering and friendly glances to Fletcher and Celie ended as their eyes fell onto me. 

“Who is this?” The man on our right asked. 

“Lady Celie’s new instructor-”

“You’re really going to let this dirt rat into the grand Taywin Chalot manor?” The other man interjected. Fletcher gave a subtle and light chuckle. 

“Do not fret. He has potential to be an Elite in the City Magician Division.” assured Fletcher

“An elite! Ha! Most peasants don’t even know how to use their magic. You’re telling me this young peasant could even qualify to join the City Magician Division- let alone- become an Elite?!” said the guard to our right, as Celie nodded along giving a large smirk. 

I planted my eyes towards the ground to avoid eye contact. I never really cared for insults, but I hated people who would think of me as someone before they really even knew who I am or what I can do. 

Fletcher nodded. 

“Alright now, move out the way. We’re going in." Fletcher shoved the two men aside and gently opened the large doors. 

The doors opened in fashion, and my eyes sparkled to the lavish lights and decorations inside the spacey manor. 

Portraits of nobles and knights hung on the walls, pots of flowers on tall and thin wooden stands stood 8 feet apart and led down the hall, Two large staircases lead upstairs. Above us to our right and left was a balcony and tall railings. 

The manor smelled like roses and chicken. 

Hm? Chicken?

“Welcome back, Lady Celie.” A maid came down the stairs at a fast, orderly pace. This maid wore a black gown, dark red kirtle, and white petticoat. She had black hair then ran down to her shoulders, and had bangs. 

Her dark gray eyes pierced mine.

“Fletcher, what have you done?” 

“Hm? What have I done?” Fletcher asked wholeheartedly without a clue in the world.

“There! That child… he shouldn’t be here.” 

“Oh! This is Lady Celie’s new-” Before Fletcher could finish introducing me, the maid interjected with outstanding tisks and a demanding voice.

“What would Sir Charlot say of this? One of his trusting butlers brought in a dirty child.” The maid tisked yet again.

“Ah yes, just clean him and fetch him some new clothes.”

“Fletcher! You don’t seem to understand. He may kill you for bringing in a peasant.” 

“Ah… bring the mana crystal, Miss Mary. You will understand soon enough.”

“Enough games. Get him out of here.” the maid- Mary- snarled. 

“I’ll escort him out if you don’t like how his mana potential measures.” proposed Fletcher.

“Ugh!” Miss Mary let out a groan and ran back up the stairs. It took a few minutes for her to come back, but she brought a large purple crystal ball that sat on a comfy red cushion. 

“I’m sure you wouldn’t know how this would work-” Miss Mary assumed, but I quickly showed off

“I’ve heard of it. I have to place my hands on each side of the crystal ball and exert my mana into it, right?” I gave a small smirk, just barely visible. 

“Uh- yes…” Miss Mary seemed surprised that I knew. “Please, do so. Now.” Miss Mary stretched her arms out completely, holding the cushion that was holding the crystal ball right to my face. 

I took a small step back and placed my hands on the crystal ball. I closed my eyes and exerted my mana. Before I knew it- *shatter*- the crystal ball absolutely shattered in my hands, and my eyes shot open.

Oh shit… I’m in trouble…

“Oh goodness!” Miss Mary cried. Fletcher flinched, but gave a small approving smile to me. 

“Impossible!” Celie had a mean look on her face. “The ball is flawed!” She furiously pointed her shaky finger at me. “Duel me with magic now, and I’ll prove that you’re a fraud!” 

I was kind’ve regretted leaving my old peaceful life and accepting a stranger’s request. 

“But Lady Celie, you don’t know how to use magic-” Celie cut off Miss Amy.

“Watch me!” 

 

I stood on the other side of a dirt patch in front of the manor. To the opposite of me, Lady Celie gave me a furious glare and clenched her fists. 

This is my first magic duel… Miss Mary said she didn’t know how to use magic… should I just go easy on her? 

I looked down at the dirt beneath my feet.

I’m not really interested in fighting children- especially vulnerable ones…

I looked back up at Lady Celie who was sticking her tongue out at me. Suddenly, I had a change of thought.

But for her… she’s an exception. 

“Are you sure about this, Lady Celie? He did just shatter the crystal ball, and you don’t know his mana capability.” Miss Mary approached Celie, but was shooed off instantly by her. 

“I can do this! I’ll show you!” 

“Are you both ready?”

“Yes-”
“Yes.” We both responded.

“Alright.. On the count of 3…” Fletcher raised his hand “1… 2-” Celie had already sprung towards me. She was at a fair distance, and it would take her approximately 4 seconds to reach me, I thought. I raised my hand, tuned my mana to a certain frequency, and exerted it through my palm and swept a harsh wind at her ankles, making her nearly fall on her face, but she just barely held herself up before her face hit the ground.

“Alright-”

“I’m not finished!” Lady Celie interjected before Fletcher could call off the match.

“Lady Celie, I’ve already won-” Not only did she cheat twice, she threw dirt in my eyes before I could complain to her that I’ve already won. 

I stumbled backwards and received a hard blow to my belly. I was being tackled by Celie.

“Gahh!” She was surprisingly stronger than she looked. We both fell on the ground hard. She sat on top of me, and I blushed. I could hear her snarling at me. I wiped my eyes and I could catch Celie’s clenched fists above her head.

“Oh shi-” I received a strong blow to my gut. Not just one, two. Now three. She hit me three times in my gut, and jumped off of me. 

“I win.” Celie pointed at her puffed out chest proudly. Meanwhile I laid on the ground in pain, reaching for my belly and rolling around giving out “ughhs” and “ahhs” every few seconds. 

“Lady Celie! This is a magic duel! And you’ve already lost!” 

“Hm? I don’t remember hearing that.”

“You said it yourself!” I shouted, and then repeated every single word she said when she challenged me: “Duel me with magic now, and I’ll prove that you’re a fraud! You said it yourself!”

“This peasant must be hearing things. Take him away, now. I don’t ever want to see him.” Celie waved me off, facing over her shoulder with her eyes closed and a proud face.

“But Lady Celie-” this may have been Fletcher’s 8th time being interrupted in less than a whole hour, because she interjected yet again

“Now.” she demanded. 

This bitch! You’re not taking this from me!

I pointed my hand at Celie and exerted my mana, raising her in the air upside down. 

Her black linen dress nearly slung up entirely, but she held it up just enough to cover enough. I covered my eyes, I didn’t want to see such an indecent thing from such a young child. Yet my perverted thoughts struck and I peeked through my fingers.

“Lady Celie!” Miss Mary shouted as she ran to Celie but was held back by Fletcher.

“Let me down! Let me down!” Celie cried as tears ran down her forehead. 

“Why should I? It’s not like I work for you or anything.” I teased

“I’m going to kill you!”

“Sure.” I knew she wouldn’t. Probably. 

Celie punched the air with one clenched fist, and she held her black linen dress with her other hand.

“If I were your instructor I’d let you down.” I gave a small chuckled.

“Let me down!”

“What’s the magic word?”

“Magic word?!” 

Oh right… they don’t know about that.

“Please is the magic word.”

“As if I’d give you the pleasure!” she shouted. “My head! I’m dizzy!” 

“Blood rushing to your head. Any minute now and you might die.” I lied. It’d actually probably take a day for someone to die if they were hung upside down. 

Celie fell for the lie, and she cried more furiously than ever.

“PLEASE! PLEASE LET ME DOWN!” 

“That’s better.” I lowered my hand and slowly let her down. As soon as she was finished being dizzy, she immediately stomped towards me until I raised my hand again, then she jumped and scurried back to Miss Mary. 

“Do you want to know how to do that?” I asked Celie. She gave no response. I sighed and turned around and waved goodbye. 

“Good luck, young child.” Fletcher waved goodbye back as Miss Mary was brushing Celie’s hair. 

“Wait!” I stopped. “Teach me. I want to use magic. You can already use it so well… I want to use it as good as you! Please!” Celie cried even more than she did when she was hanging upside down. 

I gave another sigh, this time of relief.

I turned back around to find Fletcher giving me a large smile, Miss Mary still giving me a determining look to decide if she should still accept me, and- finally- Celie, who was still bawling her eyes out. 

I gave a large bright smile and ran back towards them.

I hope this turns out to be a good decision. 

The sunlight hit my face gleefully, and the air felt cooler than before. 

Today just got a lot better!

2