Chapter 29: Blood In the Water
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Battle horns cried, and swords drummed on their shields. 

Horses galloped through lines on the sandy, rocky shores, and in the far distance, large boats with striped flags blew majestically with the wind. 

“WHY LOOK SO GLOOMY?” said a man who was heavily armored and paced back and forth between a unit in the middle of the formation blocking the shores. 

“YOU’RE FEEDING OUR PRECIOUS LAND WITH THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES!” The man took off his helmet and rested it on his hip as he swiped his hand in the air. “SING! SING YOUR SONG! SING WITH YOUR CHESTS HIGH! SING WITH MIGHT AND GLEE! YOUR TIME TO SHOW YOUR LOYALTY TO GEDO KINGDOM IS NOW!” 

The unit clapped their swords with their shields, and the other units that formed a line down the shore followed.

“GEDO, OH GEDO!” cried the man, and the lines followed “GEDO, OH GEDO!”

“YOUR STRENGTH SO PURE!” they sang ever so loudly as the boats grew closer and closer. Above the shores on the flat rocks were a long line of artillery and archers.

“GEDO, OH GEDO!” cried the soldiers. 

“THE OWL’S BRIGADES VICTORIOUS!” The singing of the men could be heard by the ships, who followed with their own chanting. 

The man who sat on his horse and urged his men happened to be Sir Fuller, the leading officer of the defensive front lines against a large seafaring people who looked to settle land on the South East of Osane continent, which was rich in resources. 

These seafaring people were the Ethus, and they were pushed out by their neighboring countries and were forced to settle elsewhere. At a final attempt, they went to take Mora City. 

Although they were unorganized, famished, and exhausted, they had a very large number, and their people were ready to die at minute’s notice to continue Ethu’s legacy.

The artillery consisted of bolt throwers built like very large bows that have been bewitched to increase it’s projectile's velocity and make it easier to reload. The dwarves took care of the reloading as their strength was unmatched compared to the other races.

Some artillery were very large cannons on wheels with large barrels. Mages stood behind it and exerted their mana into a crystal ball attached to the cannon. Most of the mages were elves that had light purplish skin. 

Some archers wore light armor and bracers while many archers wore tunics and torn trousers. 

The front lines, however, all had light armor. 

The first line of the formations had shields and were equipped with heavy armor. The soldiers behind them were somewhat disorderly, but units cleared enough space between each other so officers could maneuver around. 

There were only 4 units of 15 horsemen each, all of them wore bronze chest plates and greaves with a leather cap. Some equipped long spears while others equipped medium length slashing swords which was called Ulta in Nimati.

“HOLD!” Said the officers along the artillery units. A messenger on a horse came from a tent far behind the lines, giving them the go to fire the cannons as soon as the boats reached 400 meters while the bolt throwers and archers could only fire 5 rounds when they reached at least 190 meters, but they could fire at will as soon as the boats reach the shoreline. 

The chants from the boats soon turned into hollering and screams as the cannons bombarded the sea. 

*boom*

*kouueeee*

*CRASH* 

Rough balls of stone that were engulfed in diverse colors that streamed around it impaled boats and caused a radius effect of 36 meters as the cannon balls were bewitched with magic, leading to a more explosive impact. 

With every cannon ball that had strayed into the sea or impaled right through the boats, large waves crashed against some boats, forcing a boat to crash into another.

Gedo’s soldiers cheered as they watched the projectiles fly over them, hitting the boats with great accuracy. 

What was first 50 boats turned into 39 in less than 5 minutes. However, they were closing distance very quickly. 

Once the boats had reached 180 meters, the rest of the artillery fired 5 rounds. 

Although arrows covered the lost nation’s skys, they all gave a loud battlecry that shook a few of Gedo Kingdom’s soldiers. 

Sir Fuller saw this, and asked his men why they were here and why they wanted to fight. This boosted their morale further as they sang yet again.

Sir Fuller was a hero to the soldiers as he was recognized for his brave heroics in The Battle of Leighton, a fight between Gedo Kingdom and Rose Kingdom over a dungeon in Poly’s Forest which was on the border of both countries. Although his brigade was significantly outnumbered, and Rose Kingdom had more intel on the land around the dungeon, his persevering leadership and fighting skills lead a great defensive push against Rose Kingdom which lead to reinforcements arriving and ultimately ending in a Gedo Kingdom victory. 

He killed 3 of Rose Kingdom’s officers at once as they challenged him, causing a temporary halt in the fighting as their soldiers watched their leaders get humiliated by a large husky man with a great blonde beard that was turning gray. 

The boats had finally landed on shore, but there were only 32 now, and they would have to march up a sandy hill while being bombarded with crowds of arrows and large bolts. The cannons withdrew their fire at the frontline of the Ethus soldiers and aimed for the reinforcements, as they were afraid of the cannon balls straying and hitting their own men, breaking the formation. 

The Ethus soldiers had a thin, long line of archers lined up on the shoreline as the soldiers plodded through the steaming hot sand, giving out battlecries. 

Sir Fuller sat between two units and waited for the enemy lines to charge into his so he could attack their flank.

He had one unit of horsemen behind him, which would soon split into two as they would attack the flanks of each enemy line. 

His decent magic greatly complemented his combat skills and intelligence. 

*clash* 

*bash*

“GAHHH!” men screamed, cried, and gave gasps as they were trampled on the ground by their own men. The Ethus soldiers finally reached the frontlines, but were met with a shield up their chin as they charged at them. 

Sir Fuller waited to advance. 

The last line of reinforcements came in for the Ethus soldiers, who immediately charged up the hill. They had little to no mages as the Osane continent natives were known for having significantly less mana than any other people. 

*Slash*

Blood splattered on the shields and men as they clashed and fought. Most Ethus soldiers had no armor, but because of their number, they pushed and pushed until most of the shields fell over and were either trampled or beaten to death as the soldiers used their own shields to batter against their heads. 

The next line charged up to fill their position. 

Sir Fuller grew antsy, but waited until the final line had reached the front lines. 

It took 5 minutes of constant brawling and sword-fighting until the final reinforcements reached the frontline, and only then did Sir Fuller raise his hand and command a flank. Horses ran up between the units and split as they reached the sides of Ethus soldiers ran through the Ethus lines while it’s riders impaled and slashed their enemies with their weapons. Many of the riders died by falling off their horse and being trampled by them or Ethus soldiers or they were stabbed in the gut as they rode by slashing their enemies, or in one case, fall on their neck. 

Sir Fuller’s horse was constantly being stabbed and it finally gave out as it fell as Sir Fuller fell with it. 

Thankfully he was still on the outermost edge of the flank instead of the heat of it, so as soon as he became undizzy he stood up and grabbed his longsword.

Four Ethus soldiers noticed him and approached him. A few of Sir Fuller’s soldiers saw this and stepped up to help him, but he waved them off.

He tightly grasped his longsword with both of his hands. He got in a mighty stance and held his sword like a bat. 

One of the Ethus soldiers jumped at him, going in for a stab. Sir Fuller was very athletic, and pushed off his right foot which was sitting on a stone to just miss the blade as it grazed his hip, and he slashed at the soldier’s neck, sliding it off and then stabbing his chest, then kicking him off of it. The body landed on one of the soldiers' feet, and they flinched. 

The three soldiers approached all at once, and Sir Fuller threw his palm at the ground below them, manipulating the sand to catch their ankles. One soldier fell in front of Sir Fuller, and he immediately gave 3 deep stabs at his back. He thrusted his sword out of the soldier’s back, and focused on what was now 5 soldiers ahead of him, including the ones he had caught in the sand. Two soldiers leaped at him, the closest one ready for a stab, and the other for a slash. 

Sir Fuller held his sword below his waist and drooped it towards the sand.

He waited until the closest soldier thrusted his sword at him, only then did he raise his sword by holding both ends of it and countering with the middle of his blade. 

He swiftly turned off his left foot and ducked to just miss a swing from the other soldier’s slash and dig his sword into his gut. 

He rolled to his left to just miss another stab from the soldier behind him, however, a soldier who had just killed one of his horsemen joined in, and slashed at Sir Fuller. It hit him just on his back. 

Sir Fuller fell to the ground in pain. The soldier was just about to land the final blow until suddenly… 

*whiiiiz*

*crack*

An arrow impaled the soldier’s neck, quickly finishing him off. Fuller's men hurried to his aid and protected him from the other soldiers as they dragged him away to a medical tent far behind all the action.

The cries and swords clashing faded into the distance as Sir Fuller started to lose his vision, and finally black out.

2