Chapter 32: Maniac Bodyguard
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The heavy rain turned the blank white snow damp and light purplish.

Men singing and laughing in the dining hall rang throughout parts of the manor. 

I was in Fletcher’s office reading a book on “Low Level Beasts and How To Get Rid of Them” while Fletcher was writing in his book. 

I refused to ask him what he was always writing about as I didn’t want to come off as intrusive. 

Though every now and then I gave quick glances from my book onto his, and he finally caught on.

“This is just a diary, and there’s nothing more than that.” He assured me sincerely.  

“Ah- I see.” I responded, tending back to my book as the gentle silence turned awkward. 

After digging in a few pages of the book, I joined the servants who prepared the bedrooms for Sir Chalot’s men for the night. 

When the laughing and singing died down and the sun fell, the men slowly made their way to their rooms.

Some reached at the female servants and begged them to join them for the night. 

I sat in my room with my door open, looking at all the men passing by until, suddenly, Sir Chalot’s bodyguard stood at my doorway, facing directly at me.

He looked completely sober, but he had a face of anger and intrigue. 

“You’re Jiro Nakojima?” He asked, inviting himself in, hanging his coat on my coat hanger that I only used for my butler jacket.

“Yes…” I stood up.

“Relax, I’m not here to hurt you. Sit down, please.” He asked, giving a gentle smile. Immediately after I sat down, he asked me to pull him out a chair in which I did. 

He sat across from me and crossed his arms. 

“Jiro Nakajima… I’ve heard you beat Sir Mason and taught Lady Celie how to use magic, am I correct?”

I nodded my head.

“Hm… not much of a talker, huh?”

“I guess…” I started sweating. His dark gray trench coat and shiny jackboot that reached as far as his calf. 

He fixed his tight collar that covered his neck and gave a cough into his gloved hands. For some reason, he intimidated me very much. I couldn’t explain it, either.

“Well, that’s alright. I don’t like to speak much anyway.” He pointed at me and then back at himself. “See, I think conversation is pointless. I mean, I’d like to get straight to the point. You know?” He gave a big empty smile and chuckled.

“Sure doesn’t look like it.” I remarked.

“Hmm, alright. Well, could you fetch me a blanket? It’s quite chilly here.” 

I was visibly bewildered and intimidated. 

What games is he playing?

I sat up and pulled the blanket from my bed and handed it to him. He gently took it and placed it next to him. 

“Thank you.” His big smile froze in place and made him look like a creep. His bright blue eyes searching down my soul made me feel uncomfortable.

“Well, Jiro…” His smile slowly turned into a treacherous sincere frown. “What’s your name?”

“W-what?” I stuttered?

“I know you’re lying. What’s your name?”

“What are you playing at?” I snarled

“That’s not a nice way to talk to me. “ He scoffed. He scooched his chair closer to me and leaned to the edge of his seat. His face was so close to mine that I could feel his breath press against my chin. 

I tried pulling away, but he grabbed my arm.

PEDOPHILE! 

I panicked and my face broke out in complete sweat

“You’re not Jiro Nakajima. You’re Alaric Grimald, aren’t you?” Veins protruding from his face wrinkled as he turned a vicious red. “You thought you could run away, didn’t you?” His intimidating frown turned into a clearly fake smile. 

“Tisk tisk tisk…” He shook his finger. “I might come to your room when you’re sleeping and cut you slowly as I gag you.” His smile grew more authentic. “I might come into your room and shove my fist down your eyeballs if you try to run away again!” He laughed hysterically and maniacally. “You’re precious, you see?”

He thrusted his index finger on my forehead. I froze in place just like I did when the car sped down the road, except this was the most terrifying moment I’ve ever experienced up to this point. 

“But- but… tisk tisk…” His smile turned into a frown again. “Try anything funny again- ANYTHING!” he shouted, his spit splattering on my face. “And I’m going to knock your fucking brain out of your head so you can’t think of anything funny again.”

His violent threats got the better of me. My heart felt like it was about to collapse as it drummed against my ribcage. 

“Parker. Come, now.” demanded Sir Chalot who was standing out of my doorway, ignoring how close Parker was to me. 

“Of course, Sir Chalot.” He stood up and quickly made way to Sir Chalot as they strolled down the hall, out of my sight.
I was drenched in my own sweat, and I think I might’ve shit myself. 

I’m in deep shit… wait… I might actually already be in shit…

I checked my pants, and thankfully I didn’t shit myself. Unfortunately, that maniac man, Parker, was after me, and I had to think of something quick. 

I didn’t get any sleep that night. I jumped to every little sound that came from outside of my room.

I felt my soul leave my body as my door slowly opened. 

I’m dead… I’m so dead…

I felt like I would indeed shit my pants at that moment, but thankfully, it was just Celie who looked at me in curiosity. 

“What’re you doing?” I whispered. 

She gently closed the door behind her. 

“You should run away.”

What?

“What do you mean?”

“I mean exactly what I said.”

“Why?”

“I overheard my father's bodyguard fantasizing of peeling your skin in his room, saying that you’re a failed project...” 

We both cringed at the thought. 

“Yeah, actually- I’ll leave right now… I’ll just change my cloth-”

“Wait for me.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re really stupid.” She shook her head and left only to return 10 minutes later in a light leather jacket, rough boots, a large backpack that also sheathed her dual broadswords, and a hood. 

I, however, sat in my bed, confused and still unprepared.

“Come on. Get ready.”

“You don’t need to leave though. He’s not out for you. And what about Sir Chalot and Sir Mason?”

“They wouldn't care if I were found dead. But you’re my instructor. No one else can instruct me but you.” 

She threw her hood over her head, and her face hid in the darkness, but some of her hair stuck out.

“You already know how to use magic. You can just get another instructor.”

“Shut up and get ready.”

I did as instructed, but I only packed my rough tunic and long trousers. 

She asked me how we were going to escape (as if I was the one asking her to escape with me), and I told her that we could just fly out the window. 

She gave me a curious eyebrow but shook her head and then nodded. 

I opened the window, and the cold air filled the room. 

“Come on.” I urged Celie

“How is this going to work?” 

“I’ll just hold you.”

“I don’t want you to touch me!” She took small steps backward, looking at me in disgust.

“Then stay. This is my safest option.”

She hesitated, but gave in and leapt through the window, and I followed. 

“Alright… turn around.” I felt awkward but it was the safest option, I thought.

She stiffly spun around, and I grabbed her by her waist. Her body instinctively jumped out of my hands, and I sighed.

“Celie-” 

“Alright!” She backed into my arms and I grabbed her around her waist. I was cautious with my hands so as to not touch her anywhere… innapropiate. 

One second we were on the ground, and the other we were floating above it. 

She gasped in excitement, almost forgetting her disgust of peasants even stepping in her vicinity. 

I flew further into the dark night sky with difficulty. 

The extra weight required me to exert more mana. 

“Where are we going to go?” Asked Celie again, as if I were the one to ask her to escape with me.

“Why ask me to escape if you haven’t thought anything through?” She laughed and punched me on my hip. I jokingly threatened that I could drop her any minute, but she immediately froze and threw her arms at her sides.

“Alright…” I said as I changed my course forward towards the gates. I made sure to be high enough to avoid any attention from the people below. 

I landed in a dark alleyway and we quickly made haste to the gates. Celie had her hood on to make herself unidentifiable to the guards, but I didn’t need to do anything as I was just another kid. 

“Where are you kids going so late at night?” One of the guards asked. 

“Oh- uh…” I didn’t expect them to ask me a question. Celie held on my sleeve tightly. 

What am I going to do…

2