63-Double Edged Sword
71 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Both Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun were on edge as they waited for Zhao Wenyuan’s arrival. They were meeting in the private room of a teahouse in a quiet neighborhood, and the entire establishment was more or less deserted.

“Do you think the Minister knows about the rumors?” Chen Caichun asked.

Sun Ruhui let out a sigh. “Most likely so. It'd be difficult for him not to know at this point.”

“This really isn’t an ideal situation for the Minister, especially since the Li Sanjin case has only barely died down. Too many rumors about a man will put everyone on edge, even those within the palace,” Chen Caichun murmured concernedly. “Not to mention the pressure on the Minister, these things keep happening one after the other, it’s a wonder he can keep afloat.”

Chen Caichun still remembered the look on Zhao Wenyuan’s face when he had been implicated in the Li Sanjin case. The man had gone completely pale as though he’d seen a ghost, only barely managing to keep his expression blank. The entire process had been extremely stressful for everyone involved, but Zhao Wenyuan would have had the worst of it. For all this to happen so soon afterward, the Zhao heir really was unlucky.

Sun Ruhui gave a subtle shake of his head. “If the heavens wish to give a huge responsibility to someone, they would first test his will, tire his limbs, starve his body, and raise barriers to his every move. In that way, they can shake his mindset so that he will gain resilience and awaken greater abilities. Whether or not he can withstand these difficulties will decide his future, but while we can help him face these challenges, his own willpower and perseverance are what really matters.”

Caichun winced a little, a disquieted look on her face. “Barriers to every move indeed...this must have been quite a huge blow to him. Only the Minister, the Grand Duke, Chamberlain Sun, Qu Boyong, Zhu Ling’er, and I could have known enough details to spread the rumors like this. The Minister couldn’t possibly destroy his own reputation like this, and the same applies to the Grand Duke. Both you and I also wouldn't be involved, and Zhu Ling’er has also been under the eye of Investigator Li, so it could only have been Qu Boyong, but why would he do such a thing?”

“What a pity, Qu Boyong seemed like someone with a promising future,” Sun Ruhui lamented. “He shouldn’t have gone down this path, now that he’s offended both the palace and the Minister, his fate is more or less sealed.”

The two of them continued discussing the situation in soft voices a little longer before there was a knock on the door.

“Excuse me, good sir and lady, your companion has arrived,” the server announced. The two glanced at each other, standing as the door opened. Zhao Wenyuan stepped through, somehow looking even more exhausted as usual. He gave the server a small tip as the man left, giving his subordinates a wan smile as he gestured for them to sit.

“Thank you for coming here on such short notice,” Zhao Wenyuan said, his voice a little hoarse. “I thought it would be best to meet here rather than at the Court of Judicial Review.”

“Not at all, Minister. Have you been well? We'd heard of a disturbance,” Chen Caichun asked carefully. Zhao Wenyuan shifted in his seat.

“There was a…situation at the Zhao household. A burglary attempt, as is currently being said,” Zhao Wenyuan said. “The Empress Dowager thought it would be best for me to take a day off after all that.”

As he spoke, he removed a golden plaque from his robes and carefully placed it on the table, gesturing at it silently.

Sun Ruhui stared at it in confusion for a moment, not quite recognizing its significance, but Chen Caichun stilled before standing up, pulling out a talisman from her robes and activating it over the plaque. After a moment, she nodded at Zhao Wenyuan.

“It’s best to be careful, Minister,” Chen Caichun said respectfully. "I'm not sure what function the plaque has, but this should do the trick." Zhao Wenyuan gave her a pleased smile.

“What talisman did you use?” He asked curiously.

“Women often use these in bathhouses to prevent flower thieves and peepers,” Chen Caichun said. “My brother found that these work just as well as the more expensive ones, and now he uses these when he needs them. I’m happy to procure some for you.”

“Excellent, and here I thought it would be very difficult,” Zhao Wenyuan said thoughtfully.

“Many of the measures used in the entertainment district, the bathhouse, and the healers for women’s problems tend to be quite effective, probably because the artisans rarely think to test the effect of those talismans,” Chen Caichun explained.

Zhao Wenyuan nodded, looking incredibly pleased with the explanation.

“Minister, the Bureau is undergoing an intensive internal investigation, does it have anything to do with the assassin?” Chen Caichun asked worriedly.

“Unfortunately, yes. I think it’s an inside job by the Grand Duke, but I could be wrong. In any case, this plaque also started emanating magic before the Imperial Guard also showed up, though I’ve yet to hear what that’s about,” Zhao Wenyuan said.

Chen Caichun’s frown deepened. “I really couldn’t say, Minister. But you seem to have something on your mind.”

Zhao Wenyuan hesitated for a brief moment before retrieving a stack of notes from his robes, written in the strange code that only he seemed to be privy to.

“There’s quite a lot I want to say, but let me just give you a simple rundown,” Zhao Wenyuan said calmly before launching into an explanation of the most convoluted situation they had ever been involved in.

Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun stared at Zhao Wenyuan in shocked silence for a long moment. They looked to be stunned into immobility on the surface, but both of their minds were working in overdrive, thinking as fast as their neural pathways could possibly allow.

“Minister, what do you plan on doing with this information?” Chen Caichun asked uneasily.

Zhao Wenyuan let out a soft sigh, glancing at their reactions. His expression was deliberately relaxed, but both of them could sense that Zhao Wenyuan was on edge.

“That’s actually what I wanted to discuss with the two of you,” Zhao Wenyuan said. “I don’t believe my grandmother and uncle have access to this information, and I also highly doubt the Grand Duke actually knows the extent of what my mother uncovered. As it stands right now, we may very well have the advantage over all of them.”

Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun exchanged a subtle glance.

So Zhao Wenyuan is considering actively grabbing power.

Without waiting for Chen Caichun to sort through her thoughts, Sun Ruhui cleared his throat and began to speak.

“I believe I understand your intentions, Minister. With this, you will have information over much of the court, so it only stands that you will be able to gain political power without the palace’s help,” Sun Ruhui cautiously ventured. Zhao Wenyuan nodded slowly.

“The palace can only help me so much, the rest depends on my own actions,” he confirmed. Sun Ruhui could already guess that the Minister’s faith in the Empress Dowager’s protection was crumbling, and it hadn’t seemed to be all that strong in the first place. But given Zhao Wenyuan’s delicate position, at the crosshairs between the Zhao clan and the Imperial family, it was a dangerous mindset to have.

“You’re walking a dangerous path, Minister. You want power over protection, but none of what you have today was built by your own hands,” Sun Ruhui warned him. “If you want for too much, you’ll end up with nothing.”

“Chamberlain, saying it like that is too much,” Chen Caichun protested.

Zhao Wenyuan sighed, leaning back in his seat. “No, Chamberlain Sun is right. I’m only in my current position because of nepotism and luck, as well as the long-standing plans of the palace. But my current situation is way too dangerous to just leave everything in the hands of the palace.”

Sun Ruhui nodded sympathetically. “I understand that, Minister. But you must also understand, that accompanying a ruler is like accompanying a tiger, you must be careful at every given moment, constantly wary of their mood, how they view you, what they’ve said and what they’ve left unspoken. Yet at the same time, you must not let them realize that you are watching them with caution. It must seem natural to them that you’re able to accommodate their moods and avoid their rage, or you will be seen as a sly and cunning man who must be warded against,” Sun Ruhui said calmly. He glanced at Zhao Wenyuan.

“Minister, this is much more of a problem for you than it is for us, given your position with the Emperor and Empress Dowager. You have no need to build up their trust and affection, only to maintain it. This puts you at a much greater advantage than anyone else. But if their trust in you were ever to crumble, their fury towards you would be much greater than towards another official, you would hurtle downwards to your doom. They would most certainly be unable to separate their personal feelings from their objective judgments. As helpful as your lineage is, it’s a double-edged sword. It can cut you as deeply as it can help you.”

Zhao Wenyuan gave a deep sigh. “That’s exactly the problem. It’s growing more difficult to both preserve myself and maintain their trust, how am I meant to balance that?”

“All rulers are suspicious, even if they act outwardly magnanimous. The power of the throne, the power to command all under heaven, it’s enough to drive a man mad. How can one person possibly be responsible for all that and not be suspicious of everyone around them? Minister, this will sound cruel to your ears, but I must say it anyways,” Sun Ruhui said.

“Please go ahead, I’ll respectfully receive your advice,” Zhao Wenyuan replied.

“You must not be afraid to put yourself at risk. Instead, you must proceed even when it will endanger you. That is the only way to maintain their trust. So long as you have that, anything can be made possible. Without it, I’m sorry to say this, but you have nothing. ”

Zhao Wenyuan closed his eyes, rubbing a hand over his face tiredly. “I understand that rulers prefer their best subjects to stand isolated and ostracized. But the Emperor and Empress Dowager are pushing me into situations that they have little to no control over, how on earth am I meant to survive like this?”

“With your abilities, you are entirely capable of prevailing. We are also here to assist you in any capacity. There are still going to be many insurmountable difficulties, of course, but that’s part of being a powerful member of the court. In exchange for power and privilege beyond what the average person could ever even dream of, there are risks you have to take,” Sun Ruhui replied.

“I see,” Zhao Wenyuan said resignedly. “So I should just play the fool before the Empress Dowager for now and hang on to the information until I can safely use it.”

“Exactly,” Sun Ruhui agreed. “But that shouldn’t stop you from strengthening the position of the neutral faction and your hold over it. Since the palace assigned you to this role, they shouldn’t have any issues with you doing it well. However, there is a very thin line between building up the neutral faction and building up your own faction, you must be mindful of it, Minister.”


Kayla felt increasingly aggravated as the conversation continued, but she had no choice but to admit that Sun Ruhui was right. Zhao Wenyuan, from his very birth, was doomed to a fate of teetering on a knife’s edge for his entire life. He was a double-edged sword for both the Grand Duke and the Imperial family, and they, in turn, were the same for him. The original goods had always understood that, or rather, had been forced time and time again to see it clearly as the clashes between the Grand Duke and the palace had claimed the lives of his parents. Zhao Wenyuan had spent his life trying to flee from that fate, but it had only led him down the path to the yellow springs and straight into death’s door.

Kayla had no intention of following that path, but she still had Zhao Wenyuan’s identity, and so she couldn’t remove herself from the precarity of it. She had to concede that Sun Ruhui’s advice was entirely correct, but it was chafing to finally have the equivalent of a tank after defending herself with a butter knife for so long and still be unable to use it.

Or at least unable to use it for now, it could still save my life in the future, Kayla assured herself. I shouldn’t get greedy the second I manage to get my hands on something useful, it’ll only be the death of me.

She still had plenty of other cards to use, the Empress Dowager’s apology gift package wasn’t so stingy as that.

Kayla forced herself to speak in a light tone. “Then what about the personnel issue? Do you two have any recommendations for that? The Empress Dowager is sure to be keeping a sharp eye on what I do, so I have to act carefully. I was actually hoping to make Chamberlain Sun the new Left Secretariat of Justice since the palace wants us to consolidate our hold over the justice system. That way, I can also move Case Reviewer Chen into the vacancy and make her a Chamberlain. Is that advisable?” Kayla asked.

It was the solution she had thought of on the way back. Kayla really only had those two who absolutely could not betray her, and she needed them in higher positions.

Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun glanced at each other thoughtfully, one with apprehension, one with approval.

“I don’t believe the Empress Dowager would take issue with that. Raising up your own people is fine, but bartering positions in exchange for support is a huge taboo. As long as you avoid that, she should be fine with this much. But the court definitely wouldn’t stay silent,” Caichun said.

“Minister, I’m grateful for your trust, but my connections in the capital are too limited for me to be of much use in the position of Left Secretariat,” Sun Ruhui protested.

“I need you to do this, regardless of whether you can do it well. Better you than someone else,” Kayla insisted. She wouldn’t have minded shoving Chen Caichun into the spot either, but in terms of seniority and rank, Sun Ruhui was more suitable. It would also spare Chen Caichun the harassment of the chauvinists at the Ministry of Justice. Kayla felt responsible for Chen Caichun to a certain extent as the person who brought her into the court, the young woman was certain to be treated decently while right under Kayla’s nose in the Court of Judicial Review, but it wasn’t as though Kayla could go check on the Ministry of Justice every day to ensure Caichun was doing alright.

“We can’t just ignore the pressure from the court,” Caichun reminded them. “Since yesterday, the rumors about the Minister have been spreading like fire. If we further antagonize them now, we’ll be left in a very disadvantageous position.”

“Then I can’t be the one to bring it up myself,” Kayla muttered. She glanced at Caichun before silently crossing out that idea. Asking Chen Jian to do her a favor and bring word to his superiors could backfire, especially if Li Que and Tabuyir chose to report to the Empress Dowager that Kayla had been trying to manipulate the internal affairs of the Imperial Investigator Bureau through Chen Caichun.

“I believe that if you give them a hint during the meeting, Investigator Li and Investigator Tabuyir would be happy to make the offer,” Caichun suggested. “They’re very good at observing people’s wants and needs, and they’re also not interested in stirring up trouble. If they don’t want to do you a favor, they will simply pretend not to catch the hint rather than making a big deal out of it with the palace.”

Kayla nodded. If they agreed, it also meant that it aligned with the Empress Dowager’s intentions. If they didn’t, dropping hints was hardly anything worth reporting.

“Minister, please be sure not to mention anything about the information you have,” Sun Ruhui worriedly reminded her. “If your suspicions are correct, the Empress Dowager must be watching you intently. Unless you’re confident you can wield this blade, you must keep it sheathed and hidden.”

“Chamberlain Sun is right, but riches and glory are often won from danger,” Caichun jumped in. “It’s almost certain to be of use at some point in time, we just have to be thoughtful about how to wield it.”

Kayla smiled in relief. “Thank you for your words. And about the rumors, should I just ignore them for the time being?”

Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun gave her identical looks of surprise.

“You’re alright with that, Minister?” Caichun ventured. "I would've thought...after all, this is a rather sensitive topic, and there's the matter of your reputation..." The young woman uncertainly trailed off

Kayla sighed. “To be honest, I'm really not alright with this. I think both of you can guess who was responsible, but I can hardly drag him into the market and force him to recant. Even if I did, it wouldn’t work. So there’s not much I can do, is there? The more you try to clear your name, the worse your reputation becomes, unless you two have any ideas?”

Sun Ruhui winced. “I’m afraid I’m also at a loss, Minister. If the rumors get out of hand, it could affect your career, and even eliminate you as a potential candidate for the political marriage with the Eastern Turkic Khaganate. People’s words have frightening power, but three people’s statements can make a tiger real. But at the same time, it's already spread to this extent, actively trying to deny them won't help you.”

Kayla sighed again, nodding her head in resignation.

“If I may, Minister, what do you plan to do with Qu Boyong?” Sun Ruhui asked. Chen Caichun hastily glared at him, but the words had already been spoken. It had been tacitly agreed upon by the two of them that the young man’s involvement wouldn’t be brought up, not when his employer had shown such trust.

“I’m planning to leave him be, I don’t know who’s behind him, if there is such a person, and I don’t want to startle the snake by beating the grass,” Kayla explained. “But I also don’t plan to look without seeing and wait for him to twist the knife. I’ve recently hired Hu Qing, the man you met last time. He saved my life from the assassin, and I know enough about his background to feel at ease working with him. I asked him to find Qu Boyong’s residence and deliver a written notice and his severance pay, that way, no matter what waves he stirs up later on, I will have no legal culpability.”

Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun looked surprised but didn’t seem to disapprove. They just glanced quietly at each other again, but when they turned back to Kayla, their gazes seemed to be even more sympathetic than before.

Caichun shifted nervously in her seat, glancing at Kayla and Sun Ruhui before speaking.

“Qu Boyong aside, I do have an idea for how to dispel the rumors, Minister. But I hope I won’t offend you,” Caichun said cautiously.

Kayla gave her a hopeful look, at which the young woman flushed red.

“Pardon my saying so, Minister, but you should visit the entertainment districts,” Caichun said, the tips of her ears also becoming red even as she kept her tone calm and even with impressive professionality.

Kayla stared at Caichun in stunned silence for a moment.

“That’s a novel idea, Case Reviewer Chen,” Sun Ruhui said, his surprise evident in his voice. “I did notice that in the major cities, it’s much more common to visit the red-light districts, especially here in the capital. I’m afraid I won’t be of much help in this regard though.”

“Isn’t it a bit…inappropriate?” Kayla asked uneasily. “I mean, I’m a Minister of the Court of Judicial Review, and the palace is considering me as a potential marriage candidate for a Turkic princess. It’s a bit…”

“Minister, I can safely say that you’re probably the only minister other than Minister Hu who does not go at least every once in a while,” Chen Caichun said. “In fact, you’re rather well-known for being the only minister who doesn’t, which probably aggravates the rumors. And as for the political marriage, it would be better to be seen as a man who indulges a bit rather than allow the current rumors to shape your image.”

Kayla shook her head in disbelief. “Seriously? I’m the only one? But most of them have more than two concubines, is that still not enough?”

“Which man who holds power does not wish to enjoy its benefits somehow? If their greed for wealth and influence is satisfied, then it’s only natural they’d turn to lust and entertainment as well,” Caichun said drily. “Not to mention that most deals between officials are struck in these establishments.”

“I’m not sure about this,” Kayla said uneasily.

“Chamberlain Sun has a wife, so no one would think anything of him for abstaining, but you’re young and unmarried, it’s expected that you should drink flower wine from time to time,” Caichun replied. “Whether or not you actually do anything doesn’t really matter, what’s important is that you’re seen going in and out of these establishments at least once in a while.”

Kayla gave Sun Ruhui a questioning look, but the man also gave her an affirming nod.

“I believe Case Reviewer Chen’s idea has merit,” Sun Ruhui agreed.

“I can’t believe this,” Kayla said. “The solution is to go to a strip club?”

“A what?” Caichun asked in confusion.

“Nevermind that. Thank you for the advice,” Kayla hastily replied. “I’m glad I met with you two before meeting with the Investigators.”

“Not at all, Minister. On another note, may I also suggest meeting with Minister Hu of the Ministry of Public Works? He’s a long-standing member of the neutral faction, if we’re to proceed, we definitely need his assistance,” Sun Ruhui suggested.

“I’ll ask Sir Yang to arrange it for me, Minister Hu might be a bit more willing if he thinks the palace is involved. And related to that, I gained some interesting insight into Captain Jiang Jing of the Imperial Guards in regards to his troubles with romance, and I might be in a good position to do him a favor,” Kayla said, thinking back to the good-looking guard captain she’d met the other night.

She had conversationally brought him up with Sir Yang and learned that Captain Jiang was unmarried and had no fiancee, which could only mean that Xianchun had yet to win the man’s loyalty. In other words, Captain Jiang was up for grabs.

“That is not advisable at all, Minister,” Caichun objected. “He directly serves the Emperor, even if you can do him a favor, you should avoid doing so to protect yourself from suspicion.”

Kayla silently crossed out her idea of having Consort Zhao intervene and thereby gain points for both Wenyuan’s aunt and Kayla herself. Consort Zhao had become close friends with Consort Liang, and her relationship with the other consorts had also improved once she’d realized that the Grand Duke was completely unreliable. While she was well-positioned to help out the guard captain, her actions were likely to be misconstrued by the Empress Dowager.

“I don’t mind giving up on this opportunity, but how about handing it over to someone else?” Kayla asked.

“Do you mean to do one of the princes a favor, Minister?” Caichun asked with a worried note in her voice.

“No, I’m supposed to be neutral, how can I possibly help them out in gaining the support of the Imperial Guard? I was thinking of giving the information to Consort Hu. She’s the daughter of Minister Hu Weizhi, but she’s basically a wallflower in the Imperial Harem. If she gets an opportunity like this to improve her situation in the palace, it may help us with winning over Hu Weizhi,” Kayla explained.

“I believe that Consort Hu and Captain Jiang will be grateful to you, but it probably wouldn’t be very useful in dealing with Minister Hu,” Caichun said doubtfully. “He’s a traditionalist, and he looks down on harem intrigue as the petty battles of jealous women, he even wrote an article criticizing the Emperor for letting his consorts carry on the way they did a few years back. The Emperor had been rather infuriated.”

“But he didn’t hesitate to send his own daughter to be a concubine, did he?” Kayla said drily. “Well, that’s too bad. Do you have any ideas then?”

“Minister, may I ask exactly what you have in mind with Captain Jiang?” Chen Caichun asked.

“He’s in love with a serving maid,” Kayla replied. “Whoever helps him win her hand will probably receive quite a bit of gratitude. The protection of a guard captain is probably one of the most useful weapons a woman in the palace could have, even if she angers anyone, they’d have a harder time getting rid of her than they would an isolated and unfavored concubine.”

“If it were me, I would be immensely grateful for someone to do my daughter such a favor, but Minister Hu is one of the most conservative men I’ve ever met before,” Sun Ruhui commented. “It may be better to offer this opportunity to someone else.”

“How about the Sixth Princess?” Caichun jumped in.

Kayla frowned. “My cousin? She doesn’t live in the palace anymore, does she?”

The sickly Sixth Princess had remained unmarried into her late twenties, residing in the summer palace of the Imperial Family outside of the capital city after the death of her mother. She visited the capital once every few months but rarely met with anyone other than her father and the Empress Dowager, each time only staying in the palace a few days before leaving again. The Sixth Princess barely had any presence whatsoever and had no political influence at all.

“Yes, but her next visit should be coming up soon. Don’t forget, Minister, the Sixth Princess’ mother was from a prominent clan of the steppe tribes. If you give her something that could help to increase her reputation and prestige, they will think upon you favorably as well,” Caichun said. “The Sixth Princess barely has any influence at all, but she’s still treated with the utmost respect and caution by the servants. It’s not just because of the Emperor’s favor, but also because of the political need for good relations with the steppe tribes, given their role in buffering relations with the Eastern Turkish Khaganate. We’re likely to enter a period of peace with the Khaganate, so if you add the support of the steppe clans as well, it would be an extremely advantageous position for you.”

Kayla scrunched her face in confusion. “But how will the Sixth Princess even benefit from this?”

“It’s about her reputation, Minister. She basically has no reputation or support beyond being favored for her maternal relatives, people pretend to respect her as a princess even while laughing behind her back for being constantly ill and bound to a wheelchair. If she can manage to get this done, it will be an opportunity to increase her reputation within and outside of the palace. A little bit of exaggeration and some work spreading rumors, and she will soon become known as a wise and benevolent princess,” Chen Caichun explained. "The Sixth Princess will be certain to appreciate such an opportunity.”

Kayla nodded. “I'll have Hu Qing figure out who the woman in question is, it shouldn't be a problem for him.”

To her surprise, both Chen Caichun and Sun Ruhui nodded in agreement. It seemed that Hu Qing was much more popular than Kayla had realized.

The most pressing issues taken care of, Kayla thanked the two for their time before heading off again, this time to deal with the Imperial Investigators. Chen Caichun had already hinted at it, but the internal investigation was probably not going too well, and there was no telling who or what they would suspect. Kayla steeled herself for the upcoming interaction, praying that she could snag the seat of Left Secretariat for Sun Ruhui.


Sun Ruhui let out a deep sigh as he watched Zhao Wenyuan's carriage depart from the window.

"What do you think, Case Reviewer Chen?" Sun Ruhui asked wearily.

Chen Caichun was looking out the window thoughtfully and started at his question.

"Chamberlain Sun, are you worried that the Minister will become too ambitious?" Chen Caichun asked in return.

Sun Ruhui hesitated. "That's part of it, yes. But for the most part, what I'm worried about is how the palace will perceive it. The new information that he's gained is extremely opportune, but the palace is also increasing their scrutiny of him."

"I think that the Minister is rather pitiful," Chen Caichun murmured. "Once the rabbit is dead, the hunting dog is eaten, is it not natural to fear such a fate? Neither the Zhao clan nor the Imperial family really cares whether he lives or dies, only how much use they can extract from him, and the Minister can sense that as well. The only person he can rely on is himself, but he can't even try to increase his power."

Sun Ruhui sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I understand that, but he still has the neutral faction."

"He's no more than a figurehead. The traditionalists will be hard to win over, and the palace pulls the reins of what we do. At the end of all this, he definitely will have to retreat into obscurity," Chen Caichun said heavily.

"Peace is a blessing. If he can live well in seclusion, that's a victory in itself," Sun Ruhui replied. "As long as he can come to terms with that, the Minister will be sure to live a long and happy life. The palace will still treat him well after everything is over."

"Will he survive until then?" Chen Caichun murmured. "The Bureau's investigation this time is strange, none of the investigators are allowed to leave headquarters without permission. Something dangerous is afoot, and I have a feeling that this is only the start."

"The waters are always turbulent in the capital, there's nothing the likes of us can do about it. Even the Emperor can't control what happens," Sun Ruhui sighed. "Let the boat be pushed by the current, fate will decide its destination."

"I understand that, but I'm worried the Minister won't last that long, did you see how on edge he was? I think he's nearing his limit," Chen Caichun said worriedly.

"We can only believe in his fortitude," Sun Ruhui replied wearily. "If he is crushed, there isn't a suitable replacement to head the neutral faction that can embody the backing of the throne to the same extent, which means that the Grand Duke and the princes wouldn't have anything to stop them from attacking relentlessly. The neutral faction will remain in a weak position, and the fight between the princes will only grow more intense. The Minister might not even realize this himself, but right now, his role is irreplaceable."

The two sat silently for a moment, the gravity of the political situation weighing down heavily upon them.

"Then may the heavens smile upon us," Chen Caichun sighed. "We can only hope this will end well."


Cultural Notes

[I may have gone a little overboard with the proverbs in this chapter, but both Sun Ruhui and Chen Caichun are meant to be extremely well-read, so I can't be stingy with these either]

故天将降大任于是(斯)人也,必先苦其心志,劳其筋骨,饿其体肤,空乏其身,行拂乱其所为,所以动心忍性,曾益其所不能/If the heavens wish to give a huge responsibility to someone, they would first test his will, tire his limbs, starve his body, and raise barriers to his every move. In that way, they can shake his mindset so that he will gain resilience and awaken greater abilities: A quote from Mencius, one of the four Confucian Classics of Ancient China. The quote is often used to encourage people to persist through their hardships, as it surely means they are destined for greater things.

看他的造化/See what he's made for [by nature]: A Chinese saying that draws on the concept of 造化, which can be understood as nature, luck, or creation.

黄泉路/Road to the Yellow Springs: A Chinese saying meaning a road to death. The yellow springs are often used to refer to where the dead resided in Ancient Chinese belief. In the geographic region where Chinese civilization began, there were many areas where you would see yellow water (from water mixing with yellow mud) when digging a grave, hence the belief that there were yellow springs beneath the ground, and a world where the dead resided.

采花贼/Flower thief: An Ancient Chinese phrase for rapist/pervert who targets young women.

伴君如伴虎/Accompanying a ruler is like accompanying a tiger: An Ancient Chinese proverb meaning that it is dangerous and precarious to serve a ruler closely, as you can easily lose your life.

奸诈狡猾/To be sly and cunning, to be untrustworthy and treacherous: An Ancient Chinese proverb used to describe someone in a derogatory manner.

一泻千里/With one leak, [the river] rushes down a thousand miles: An Ancient Chinese proverb originating from a poem by Tang Dynasty poet Li Bai, it can be used to describe the powerful force of nature in a river, or to describe something rapidly degrading/going downhill.

自古帝王多疑心/Since ancient times, rulers have always been suspicious: A Chinese saying that summarizes how many famous emperors tended to be extremely suspicious of their subordinates, even going so far as to kill the officials who contributed the most to their reign after feeling threatened by their power/popularity.

孤臣/Isolated officials: An Ancient Chinese concept that directly translates into "lonely" or "solidary" officials. Most emperors were very annoyed with powerful/trusted officials forming cliques and factions within the court, and in fact, preferred their favorite officials to have bad relations with other powerful officials.

富贵险中求/Riches and glory are won in danger: A Chinese colloquialism that is part of a set: 成功细中取,富贵险中求/Success is gained through attention to detail, riches and glory are won by risk/danger."

欲盖弥章/The more you try to cover it, the more noticeable it becomes: An Ancient Chinese proverb stemming from a pre-Qin historical anecdote about Cui Zhu. As the story goes, Cui Zhu was a Prime Minister in the ducal country of Qi (later became a kingdom and was eventually absorbed into the Qin Dynasty). One day, when going to the funeral of a noble, Cui Zhu fell in love with the noble's widow (that's right, over her husband's casket) and married her against everyone's objections. The Duke of Qi knew that Cui Zhu had married the widow, but still had an affair with her. Cui Zhu was incensed and laid an ambush for the Duke of Qi, murdering the man and establishing himself as the new ruler. The court historian then recorded, "Cui Zhu assassinated his lord." Trying to hide his crimes, Cui Zhu killed the historian, but the replacement historian also recorded "Cui Zhu assassinated his lord," so Cui Zhu killed him as well. This went on until the fourth historian, upon which Cui Zhu gave up, understanding that the more he tried to cover his crimes, the more it became widely known.

人言可畏/People's words are to be feared: An Ancient Chinese proverb from a pre-Qin poem.

三人成虎/[With] Three people's words [you can] form a tiger: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the pre-Qin Warring States era. Means that if enough people say it, you come to believe it is true.

打草惊蛇/Beat the grass and startle the snake: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the Song Dynasty, means to pre-emptively warn someone. This can go two ways: one is to warn them from going down the wrong path any further, (i.e. a new ordinance is established, you publicly fine someone so that everyone else knows to be careful,) and the other is to accidentally alert your enemy before your plans are complete.

视而不见/Look without seeing: An Ancient Chinese proverb originating from the pre-Qin era, meaning to either not pay attention or not to properly comprehend something.

青楼文化/Brothel culture: Again, scholars and officials really liked going to brothels (which served as both entertainment and cultural centers and as a place for sexual transactions) back in Ancient China, and it wasn't frowned upon at all for a man to frequent those places even after he has a wife, as long as he doesn't overdo it.

喝花酒/Drink flower wine: An Ancient Chinese phrase meaning to visit brothels.

宫斗/Palace intrigue/Harem intrigue: A staple presence in Ancient Chinese palaces, this wasn't just competing for the Emperor's affections, but often competing for whose child can become the next Emperor as well. Despite what many period dramas will try to tell you, harem in-fighting is rarely done out of love for the Emperor, but rather because of the unequal distribution of resources and influence. Young women were often expected to represent their family's political interests by gaining favor within the harem, and also there was the fact that if you were unfavored or low-ranked, your quality of life wasn't all that great. Overall, it was a competition for resources for the concubines, their families, and their children.

迂腐/Traditionalist [derogatory]: A term used to describe someone who is extremely stiff, conservative, and by the book to the point of being inflexible, obstinate, outdated, and incompetent.

兔死狗烹/When the rabbit dies, the hunting dog is eaten: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the pre-Qin era, referring to the tendency of rulers to kill the officials who had contributed the most after they've accomplished their goals.

平安是福/Peace is a blessing: A Chinese saying meaning that even if you can't gain great power or riches, living peacefully is a blessing in and of itself.

仕vs.隐/To serve or to seclude: For all scholars and potential officials in Ancient China, there was the conundrum of whether to serve in court or to seclude yourself and work on refining your own character. Since the pre-Qin era, Confucius and other philosophers have suggested that it's better to live in seclusion rather than embroil yourself in a corrupt court, where you would become mired in immoral plots. Seclusion has a very specific moral appeal to it, due to the culture and aesthetic of solitude in Ancient China, a topic that will require far too many words to discuss here, but the gist of it is that it is considered admirable for someone to refine their own virtue in solitude, even when there is no one else to praise them for it or judge their misdeeds.

顺水行舟/The boat travels along the current: An Ancient Chinese proverb meaning to go with the flow, which aligns with Sun Ruhui's Taoist philosophy.

4