Chapter 100: Anger and Advice
1.6k 7 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regina clenched her fists, narrowed her eyes and stared at the piece of paper in her hand as if she wanted to burn it, which, at that moment, wasn’t too far from the truth.

“How dare this -“ she ground out, then stopped when she realized what she was saying and how it sounded.

She tried to take a deep breath, but couldn’t quite bring herself to unclench her fist.

At her sides, Max and Mia pressed in a little more closely. Maybe they were trying to get a better look, but maybe they were just trying to comfort her. The drones were pretty tactile people, despite the shell they all shared that should make it harder.

Regina raised her head, glancing at them. She’d called the senior sapient drones, those in leadership positions, as soon as she realized what this was. Now, they were all looking down at Tim’s letter. Carefully, she placed it down on the tree stump serving as a table, so they could read it better.

“Evidently, it was the marquis’ decision,” Max said. She could tell he was also angry, although maybe not as much as her.

Regina nodded wordlessly. This clearly wasn’t something Cern had cooked up.

“I think Janis is right,” Mia said after a short pause.

Regina hummed in agreement and glanced at the letter again. Occasionally, Tim’s writing was supplemented by another hand, Janis’ surprisingly elegant handwriting. It was a bit disorganized, with notes in the margins and a few lines squished in, but that didn’t matter. She was happy that they had included all the important details they could think of. Janis’ information and speculation on the internal politics and reasons for the marquis’ actions were especially useful.

She was just glad the skills her drones were born with apparently included writing as well as reading. It at least made it a little easier to have them out of her range like this.

“She definitely is,” Regina said. “I was kind of hoping that we could avoid the internal factions and politicking of Lyns’ rebels, but maybe that was naive. Still, I don’t care what sort of deal he has worked out with noble supporters - or a church or whoever - he still doesn’t have the right to give us orders!”

“This is brazen of him,” Max agreed. “We defeated Relains’ army together, conquered that territory together. Even if it is just a corner of a larger one. Appointing someone to rule it for him without acknowledging our contribution or claim is worse than rude.”

“He could have at least talked to us about it beforehand!” Regina snarled. “He should have at least asked us about it!”

There was a short moment of silence again, before Mia spoke up. “Maybe he deliberately didn’t do that.”

Regina ran a hand through her hair, forcing her clenched muscles to relax. “You mean, because he thought it would be easier this way?”

Mia shrugged and nodded. “This way, he’s - how did you say it? - presented us with a fait accompli. The plan is on the table and we have to deal with it. He probably thinks we’d go for Kiara’s compromise, or something like that. Besides, this is not an excuse, but he may not have wanted to look like he needs to ask our permission before some of his supporters. I imagine part of his potential allies are bigoted against demihumans, or foreigners, and they may be the ones he wanted to reel in with this.”

Regina pulled a face. “Sounds about right.”

“What are we going to do?” Max asked. “Are you going to accept their compromise?”

Regina ran a hand through her hair again. She despised the thought of just rolling over for Lyns and the humans. But personal pique wasn’t a good basis for decision-making, especially when it affected the lives of everyone in her hive. She just had to try to decide what the best course of action for them was.

“We should at least get some further concessions out of it,” she mumbled. “I guess the proposal isn’t too bad for us. Having an uncontested claim to - what, about a hundred kilometers of land at its farthest extent? - would be nice. We don’t really need human settlements, even if the additional resources and manpower would be good. Fewer headaches without it, at least. And I suppose we could get people to come there if we needed to …”

“You just need to come up with something the marquis doesn’t want to lose but that he would hand over,” Mia said, sounding a little more cheerful than the rest of them.

Regina chuckled, feeling some more of the tension drain out of her. “Yeah. Pity I already got Janis, I don’t think I need anyone else as a hive member from him.”

The others shared some smiles and tentative grins as well.

I’m not going to forget this, though, Regina thought to herself. I may play along for now, Lyns, but you’d better be careful. He would not like it if he tried to push too far.

She left the spot they’d been meeting in, Max accompanying her like usual. Since she’d wanted to read the long letter privately, she’d gone out of the village to a spot outside the palisade, by the tents that had been put up earlier.

As she walked back, she barely noticed her surroundings while her thoughts were stuck on recent events. She would have to talk to the baron about it, but she wanted to wait for a bit before she did, get her thoughts in order.

But Regina’s thoughts were derailed once she noticed the people gathered at one of the village’s gates. She paused for a moment, then sighed to herself. She’d almost forgotten that the news about her human allies wasn’t the only major change she had to deal with.

The elves stepped out of the way with their usual smooth grace as soon as she approached, and Anuis turned to meet her. They weren’t using any wagons or anything else to carry their things, and most of them were wearing heavy backpacks and other bags. Anuis wasn’t quite as encumbered as the others, though, maybe she’d pulled rank, or maybe she just didn’t have as much to carry.

“Hive Queen Regina,” she said, a bit more formally than usual.

“Commander Anuis,” Regina replied with a smile. “I see you’re getting ready.”

Anuis relaxed slightly and there was a bit of a twinkle in her eyes when she said, “I was not going to depart without properly taking my leave and saying goodbye.”

“Of course not.” Regina raised a hand to tug on her mandible, then dropped it. This situation felt a bit awkward, and she suspected that wasn’t just her.

“We are about finished preparing, actually. Bianorn is bringing the rest with the second group. I have already talked to Baron Neralt and made my goodbyes to him and Lady Marianne.”

Regina nodded. That was quick, but I suppose once Anuis got the order to leave, she shouldn’t dawdle. Military efficiency and all that.

Over the next few minutes, most of the drones trickled in, coming to say their goodbyes as well. Max talked to several of the soldiers, while Regina exchanged polite farewells with Niolin and the other officers. She’d talked to all of them before, but she didn’t really know them very well. When Bianorn showed up with another large group of elves, Regina was almost relieved. And her exchange with him was noticeably warmer.

“Don’t let these humans push you too far, Lady Regina,” he advised her with a small smile. “But I have every confidence that you can handle them. I will be looking forward to news of the hive’s growth.”

“Thanks.” Regina returned the smile. “I am looking forward to your own people’s news, as well. Hopefully, we will meet again at some point. Good luck out there, and safe travels.”

“Thank you.”

By now, it was clear the elves were ready to leave. Neralt had not shown up (maybe because Anuis had already visited him), but a few humans did. Regina made her way back to the front of the group, looking for the commander.

“I am confident that we will be seeing each other again,” Anuis told her. “But perhaps you would like to walk with me to the edge of the forest?”

Regina nodded, and told Max with a look and a gesture to stay behind. She wanted to take the last opportunity to talk to Anuis privately. The elf obviously felt the same, since she set out from the village at the head of the group, walking briskly. Regina joined her, and they got a bit of distance from the others. A strong wind picked up around them, rustling their hair and making their words harder to understand for anyone further away. Probably an application of one of Anuis’ Skills, and a useful one, not just for hiding sounds or scents in a forest.

“Did something happen?” Anuis asked. “You seem a bit upset, if you will pardon my frankness.”

Regina sighed and considered whether talking about it would be worth it. “Just a disagreement with my human allies.” She hesitated, but the elves would probably hear about it soon enough. “They want the whole Relains March, though Kiara Lyns has offered me the uninhabited part between here and their westernmost settlements.”

Anuis frowned, looking thoughtful. “I see. I am not sure I can offer you good advice, I am afraid. I have never found dealing with humans to be particularly easy.”

Regina snorted. “I don’t think them being humans has much to do with it, compared to just being people.” She paused. “Although the culture does play a role, and I guess neither of us is from places with a feudal system, right?”

“Indeed, that does appear to make a difference,” Anuis said drily. She fell quiet for a few seconds before she spoke again. “I have enjoyed getting to know a new type of people, personally. And the changes and new ideas you brought. I do hope we will be able to meet again and perhaps speak of … other things.”

Regina blinked and nodded. She’d never told anyone outside the hive about her conversation with Alianais, but Anuis clearly knew her situation pretty well. It had been Enais who’d first told her about the Hivekind, after all.

“I would be interested to know how much your people remember,” she finally said, watching Anuis carefully.

The elf smiled, though it seemed a bit sad. “Not nearly as much as we would like, unfortunately. Especially when it comes to specifics. Like the other peoples, we lost most of our history in the Cataclysm, and to be frank, I doubt even our ancestors knew very much about this world. From what my mother has told me, our people at that time were … somewhat isolationist, if not to say elitist.”

Regina suppressed a snort and shook her head. “Elitist? No offense, but it doesn’t seem like the elves had reached a technological level anywhere close to what my people did.”

Anuis’ gaze sharpened a little at Regina’s last words, and after a moment, she realized it must have been her use of the words ‘my people’. Regina had actually meant the humans of the world, who she’d come from, but she supposed that in this context, it could seem to refer to either them or the Hivekind.

But Anuis only said, “Oh, I am aware of that.” She sounded a bit amused. “Feeling superior is not necessarily based in fact. Something more of our elders would do well to remember,” she muttered the last part.

Regina didn’t know what she should say to that, so she didn’t answer. They walked the next few meters in silence. By now, they had almost reached the forest.

“Is there any other help you need from me?” Anuis asked, slowing down. “A message to carry, words of advice?”

Regina glanced at the people behind them, who were moving at a very casual pace. “Actually, I wouldn’t mind a bit of advice. What would you ask for as a demand from the marquis?”

Anuis tilted her head. “Hm. I do not know Marquis Lyns very well, but I suppose it depends on your aim. Do you want something that will help your hive most in the short term, or the long term? Or do you simply want to make a demand that he might regret, as a way of making a point?”

“Good question,” Regina said, tugging on her mandible.

“I would advise you to look at what he might need, given his position, and what he might want,” Anuis told her. “If your alliance is not firm, taking something he might be able to use against you - but ideally not against your common enemies - might be prudent. But I would not weaken his faction unduly. And, if I may say so, I would focus on the needs of your own people.”

Regina nodded. “Thank you for the advice, Anuis. I appreciate all of the help you’ve given me.”

Anuis smiled and nodded her head. “It was my pleasure.” By now the others caught up, and she turned. “This is goodbye, then. Farewell, Hive Queen. Until we meet again.”

“Likewise, Commander Anuis.”

Regina stepped back, out of the way, and turned to leave. She paused and glanced back as the elves disappeared into the forest, though. Then she sighed and made her way back.

Maybe I should have asked her about sending more people back to our original settlement, she thought. But I suppose I could always send a message to Ariedel if I really needed to.

Then Regina paused, glancing back at the forest again. Despite herself, she found herself smiling. Actually, Ariedel should be within my range already. Or if it isn’t, it’s going to be soon. That meant she could see and hear through any members of her hive she sent there, and, if possible, speak to any drones, too. Or Janis, once she was back, but it was probably better to leave her where she was for now.

Regina turned and made her way back to the village, rolling her eyes at Max when she saw him hanging around the gate. How he managed to stay ahead of the curve for levels when he spent so much time with her was a mystery to her. Unless bodyguarding gave him experience due to his Class. Actually, that was probably the case. She sighed and resigned herself to keep being followed around.

With the elves gone, it might get more dangerous here, too, but Regina wasn’t very worried about it. She felt confident that her hive could handle themselves against any further attacks from the local humans.

 

100 chapters already! Thanks for your support, everyone!

I can promise there will be at least another hundred chapters in this tale, probably several, the way things are going.

84