Chapter 130: Elementary
1.3k 6 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group of drones Regina had sent to the gnomes had mixed opinions on the matter of going to talk with the elementals.

On the one hand, they didn’t like that the gnomes were seemingly asking them to do their dirty work, or at least to run errands for them. And elementals were, clearly, powerful, so there was an element of danger as well. Besides, they didn’t have any clear goal. Sure, maybe they could do something to mediate between the gnomes and the elementals, but what did that really mean, and how? On the other hand, they were curious about the sapient monsters, and if they did manage to establish a positive relationship with them, that would be great. And it would help in dealing with the gnomes, as well. Plus, if they ran into trouble with the confederation, having a point of contact with the elementals would be good, too.

Janis herself finally got the deciding voice. She wanted to learn more about her non-human ancestors, and this was the perfect opportunity for it. Regina agreed.

So, they split the group. Janis would go with several other members of the hive, while Regina would also keep some Winged Drones nearby and ready to intervene if necessary. Now that she knew where they were, and could sense her envoys, it wouldn’t be too difficult. The elementals were closer to the central part of the mountains, and should still be within her greatly expanded range, at least in the area where her hive members were heading.

Bea stayed back along with three others, to function as envoys and talk with the gnomes. It had been a few days by now, but they still hadn’t made any official requests, and it was clear they weren’t going to. What Tikimaken had said was apparently at least supposed to be seen as a private venture, an informal tip. It was also possible the confederation’s rulers didn’t have anything to do with his suggestion and there were internal factions with differing goals or agendas at play.

Janis didn’t care much about that, she preferred to leave that kind of political maneuvering to Regina and Bea. Regina knew that Bea secretly felt mostly the same and would prefer to leave the high-stakes politics in Regina’s hands, but she was actually pretty good at being a diplomat, and she would carry out her orders and work for her hive’s goals with persistence and energy.

It still took a while for the group to travel to their destination. Besides having to cross the distance, they also needed to actually find an elemental in the first place, since they didn’t seem to have dedicated homes. At least not as far as the gnomes knew. It was possible they had homes further into the mountains, where the Confederation was reluctant to venture. But from what the drones had heard, it sounded like the elementals were at least semi-nomadic. So, Janis and the three sapient drones accompanying her would travel to the closest gnomish outpost to the area they were most interested in, then go from there.

The gnomes didn’t ask too many questions and assisted them with getting there easily. Apparently, it would be simpler to make part of the journey through an underground tunnel network they had instead of traveling overland all the way, even though they were still more or less at the edge of the Confederation’s territory.

Watching through Janis’ and Ash’s eyes, Regina observed the tunnels with interest. They were pretty small and cramped from her perspective, not like the wide subway tunnels that went under the forest, and they also twisted and turned quite a bit. That made it hard to keep track of their direction. She wondered if the tunnels the gnomes had dug were connected to the network under and around her territory, but she didn’t think so. They would have had to cross a not inconsiderably distance of empty land to connect to it, and if they did have a direct route, the gnomish traders would probably have taken it. Besides, these tunnels just looked and felt a bit different. Janis had to duck occasionally, and the group usually had to walk single-file. Granted, Janis actually seemed to have grown a little since Regina first met her, and not just during her Evolution. Maybe being part-elemental gave her a predisposition to keep growing for longer?

Thinking of that just reminded Regina that she didn’t know what her drones’ lifespan was, or even her own. Either way, according to all the information she had, reaching the third Tier should add several decades to someone’s life expectancy, at least. That seemed to be a mostly flat increase, regardless of one’s species, since elves didn’t get much from it. Now I just have to push all my sapient drones to reach level forty Regina shook her head at herself and quickly refocused on the delegations she’d sent to the gnomes.

Bea kept talking to various gnomish officials and businessmen (and women), while the others mostly went around the city. Regina had decided to send Zoe and Ash with Janis, since that group was more likely to need their strength and expertise, but Bea’s group still had Ken, as well as two more warrior types, so they were hardly defenseless.

Janis’ group was rounded out by Ria, which actually gave them a pretty standard party configuration, she realized- with Ria as support, Ash for scouting, Zoe as a frontline fighter, and Janis herself as a mage with elemental spells for combat, among other things. None of them had reached level forty yet, but Ash and Zoe weren’t far off, and this mission might actually push them over the edge. Like Bea, as well.

Fortunately, they didn’t have to put that to the test during their trip. The gnomes had sent a guide with them, who led them through the winding tunnels, and they didn’t encounter any dangers on the way. Clearly, the confederation at least kept its routes free of monsters. But when they emerged from the last leg of the trip onto a small plateau, higher up in the foothills of the mountains, the loud cry of some monsters warned them that was about to change.

The gnomish outpost wasn’t too far after that, and they arrived just as the sun set. Regina advised them to stay the night and continue on in the morning, to which no one objected. While the outpost didn’t look much better than one of hers, with a few buildings surrounded by a tall palisade and platforms for several ballistae, the small local garrison put them up in one of the huts. The drones pushed the few straw mattresses together and curled up together to sleep. After a moment of hesitation, Janis joined them, lying on the edge with her back to Ria and Ash and pulling a blanket over herself. Ria shifted so her wing brushed over her legs as well.

You guys have been corrupting me, Janis complained, but Regina could sense her amusement.

You love us, admit it, she shot back.

The demihuman mage just grumbled something unintelligible and closed her eyes to go to sleep.

The next morning, they got up early, then set out after talking to the locals about the terrain and asking about the monster activity nearby. None of them had seen an elemental recently, but apparently, that was normal. They pointed out a few other spots, places where strong monsters had their nests, and even showed Ash a map of the area.

The group set out, and Regina sent a few Winged Drones down a little further to help. She wanted to keep them away from the gnomes, just to be cautious, but the flying drones still enabled Janis and the others to get an overview of their surroundings. Regina already knew she couldn’t get the Swarm Drones too close to the mountains without losing them, and she was prepared for some losses, but she didn’t want to throw them away for nothing, either. So, she did her best to steer clear of flying monsters and kept to the outskirts.

That meant the flying drones became less helpful as the party ventured further away from the outpost. They were relatively high-leveled, at least compared to the average person, but they still wouldn’t be able to go too deeply into the mountains. Regina knew that. She debated whether she should have sent stronger people along after all. But they didn’t really have many stronger people in the hive, just herself and a handful of drones who had reached level forty. Maybe the group would have to stay here and fight monsters for a few days until at least one or two of them reached the third Tier. It would be risky, but it might be worth it.

For now, Janis and the others still dealt with the few monsters they encountered readily. Most didn’t seem to be in a hurry to attack them, preferring to wait and watch. A few of the more aggressive ones did attack, but none of them managed to surprise the hive’s party, and they were all in the upper second Tier at most.

After a few hours, Janis noted that the numbers of monsters nearby and especially of the attacks was dwindling. “Do you think we’re going into the territory of a higher-level beast?” she asked.

Regina frowned to herself, diving into the minds of the Winged Drones there again. She sent two of them further down and had the others spread out for a sweep, but she didn’t find anything new. If so, I don’t recognize it or it’s well-hidden, she answered. I suppose it’s also possible we found the territory of an elemental, but better not count on that. Be careful.

The group nodded and tightened their formation a bit, before they continued on.

For the next fifteen minutes, they didn’t encounter any danger or even see any monsters except for really small ones that scurried out of their way. Regina kept watch, ignoring the world around her for the most part. She was sitting on her bed, with her door closed and only Via hanging around nearby.

Then, things changed suddenly. The others were just beginning to relax, although they didn’t let their guard down. But suddenly, a low rumble started, and dirt shot into the air barely two meters in front of them.

The drones reacted quickly. Ash, who’d taken point, jumped backwards, readying his blade. Zoe stepped beside him, taking a position to guard Janis and Ria and holding out her shield. Janis stopped and pulled Ria back, then Regina could sense her gathering mana for a spell.

The monster that had emerged from the ground looked odd, like a massive mole with exaggerated, plated shovel-claws and razor-sharp teeth in a too-big head. It crouched down, then bounded towards them.

Greater Molan - Level ?

Regina cursed mentally. Since she wasn’t there, she couldn’t see the System descriptor herself, only what her hive members did. Still, she guessed that it was in the third Tier.

The party didn’t let it unnerve them. While Janis fired a Firebolt and prepared another one, Ash and Zoe engaged the monster. It managed to evade Janis’ spell, but that slowed it, giving them the chance to attack. A moment later, a glowing shell appeared around Zoe as Ria cast Magic Armor, and then another one on Ash.

Janis hesitated, unwilling to use destructive magic that might affect her teammates. Regina stayed in her mind, sharing her experience, but forced herself to stay silent. She couldn’t afford to distract them right now. Instead, she ordered several of her Winged Drones closer. They weren’t strong enough to win the fight for the party, but they might at least provide a distraction.

Zoe and Ash fought well, coordinating seamlessly with each other and the mages. Zoe played tank, keeping the monster’s attention focused on her, while Ash tried to whittle it down. Its skin was tough enough that his blade never penetrated very far, but every little bit helped. Janis edged to the side, firing several Magic Missiles that she curved around the fight to hit the monster from above, behind and the sides. It didn’t seem to care, relentlessly focused on beating down the drones in its way.

Ria had to renew the Magic Armor on Zoe as the monster got in a good claw swipe against her, the warrior just a bit too slow to dodge. But the fight still seemed to be going well. Unfortunately, the Molan seemed to be able to tell that, too, and suddenly, it took a step back.

Regina almost called out to warn them, but stopped herself. The group didn’t need it, anyway. Zoe hunkered down behind her shield, with Ash stepping back. Janis took the opportunity to launch a Fireball at the monster.

Just before it connected, the monster suddenly seemed to blur, charging forward. It evaded most of the fireball, only grazing the edge, and barreled at Zoe.

The Drone Defender set her feet and tried to block the attack she was too slow to dodge, but its charge still broke through. Regina winced as she sensed the sharp pain stabbing through Zoe’s lower body while the drone was literally sent flying. She crashed to the ground and slid a few meters.

Ash appeared beside the monster the next instant, thrusting his blade-arm into its side. It flinched back and turned, but he already had a dagger prepared that he thrust into its face. The monster managed to evade the worst of the strike, so the dagger narrowly scraped past its eyes, but it still drew a gash across its head.

Then it retaliated, but Ash managed to dodge just enough not to take the brunt of its slam, and the double layering of Mage Armor from Janis and Ria protected him. Janis had already transitioned to her beloved fire magic again and fired two Firebolts in quick succession at the monster. The first one made it draw back instead of following up on its attack, but the second one slammed into its side where Ash had cut it.

The monster let out a high-pitched squeal, stumbling to the side. Janis showed no mercy, immediately following up with several Magic Missiles. Then she paused, while Ash advanced carefully again. Regina sensed her preparing another spell.

A gust of wind picked up, growing in the span of a second until a howling gale wind smashed against the monster. Usually, it wouldn’t do much to it, but with the monster already injured and weakened, it was enough. Thrown off-balance, it didn’t react in time when Ash slipped inside its guard and buried his sword deep into its body, piercing its heart.

Regina let out a breath and ordered her Winged Drones to gain altitude again. Well, looks like I wasn’t necessary after all. Then she quickly turned her focus to Zoe.

Ria was already healing the downed warrior, crouched beside her with a hand on her body as she channeled the Spell. Regina waited, watching carefully as the wound slowly knit closed.

You all did well, she told them. Zoe’s injuries are nastier than they look, there’s quite a bit of internal damage. I don’t think your life is in any danger, Zoe, but it might take a while to heal, and you should stay out of combat for the immediate future. And — wait …

Another presence was approaching them, one so distinct Regina picked it out against the background of minds and mana even at this distance to what was happening. It made her realize just how well she’d been able to sense the minds in the vicinity, because this one wasn’t like the rest of them.

Janis and Ash immediately stood and dropped into guard positions, but before they could even say anything, the newcomer was already there. Janis drew in a sharp breath, and Regina couldn’t blame her.

What stood in front of them looked like a person made entirely of air, if they were almost three meters tall and still somehow substantial. At first, she thought it was just leaves and stuff caught in the tightly contained wind, but then she realized that the being just looked like that. It was like air had colors, and if she thought about that for too long, she’d get a headache.

“Well, hello there,” the woman said. At least, on a closer look the form looked feminine. Her voice sounded normal, but it reminded Regina a bit of Galatea.

“Hello,” Janis responded. Regina could tell she made a concerted effort to relax. “I hope we did not disturb you. We don’t mean to intrude on your territory, but we didn’t exactly have the opportunity to ask for permission first.”

The woman waved a hand lazily as she stepped closer - not actually touching the ground, Regina noted. “That certainly is no issue.”

Volance — Level ? Air Elemental

Regina rubbed her fingers together nervously. That being was almost certainly at least in the third Tier, most likely higher. She could tell that just from their presence, even sensed through the members of her hive who were actually there. But they, or she, seemed friendly enough so far.

Janis smiled. “Good. We’ll just take care of our friend here, if you don’t mind, but we’re eager for the opportunity to speak to you.”

“Your friend?” The elemental glanced at Zoe, then the other drones, then back at Janis. “Would you mind explaining your actual relationship with these people? I can’t deny that it’s very interesting to meet sapient monsters of another kind, especially one like this.”

“Ah, I’m part of their hive. The Starlit Hive.” Janis moved as if trying to gesture at something, probably the System screens, which showed her new last name. “Why do you ask about my relationship, though?”

Volance smiled slowly. “Why, can’t a grandmother show interest in her grandchild’s condition?”

If Janis had relaxed before, now that flipped at once. “Grandmother? But - what -“ Regina winced as she felt the agitated confusion in her mind. “But I thought I was a fire …”

Calm down, Regina urged her, trying to project assurance. It’s okay.

“Oh, Cendis’ offspring, right.” The elemental waved that off. “Your grandmother was one of his children, yes. But your father was mine. You have more air in your blood than fire.”

Janis just stared at her, before she closed her eyes for a moment and pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Alright. I guess we have quite a bit to talk about, if you’re open to that.”

 

61