[Vol. 4 pt. 63] Patch 11.0
3.7k 2 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Corwin is mining on his own, whistling one of his favorite tunes, when he hears the others finally make their way back to him.

He looks over to see how everything went, and what he sees is not what he was expecting to see.

Everybody is fine and in one piece – well, Fenrir is walking rather funny with wide steps, but what really catches his interest is the fact that there are seven large, wooly creatures walking with them. Fenrir and Rock are surrounded by the creatures.

Even Shogun looks confused! With a tilted head and a confused whine, he stands up to go and check on Rock.

Fortunately for Shogun, Rock is quick to break free from the fluff to go and give him some attention.

“That’s what you’re supposed to do,” Cassiel tells Fenrir.

Serra takes Rock’s place in being surrounded by fluff.

“I see that you all have brought back some… new companions?” Corwin asks the group.

“Every city needs animals, right?” Fenrir asks.

“Ah, so you intend on using them as livestock? They would make an excellent source of wool, and I am sure that there is meat under—”

“Absolutely not,” Fenrir says, bringing out his strict, serious voice.

“Not allowed,” Serra backs him up.

Even Rock is looking up at Corwin as if she is shocked that he could ever suggest such a thing! What if he were to suggest them eating her, too?

Of course, Rock has no idea that nobody would ever try eating a dog made out of rock, but she doesn’t know that. All she knows is that this man is suggesting to eat animals, and she’s an animal! That’s only okay when they’re not animals that she likes!

To support Fenrir and Serra, Rock barks at Corwin.

Shogun, confused and wanting to support his partner, also barks at Corwin. Though, it is a very half-hearted bark.

“I – I see. Well, I am sure that their wool may come in handy. Nell enjoys creating costumes and the like, yes?” Corwin asks.

“Corwin, what you said before was horrible, but you just made me think of something wonderful. I forgive you,” Fenrir says.

“A-ah. Alright. What is it that I made you think of just now?”

“These sheep things have super soft wool. Nell can make clothes. So… in theory, Nell could make sweaters for all of us with this wool.”

“All of us?”

“Yes. All of us. We will be the city of fluffy sweaters.”

“I thought you wished to make a city where everybody may live together in harmony?”

“Corwin. Some things are more important than peace. Fluff is one of them. Fluffy sweaters are even more important.”

“Fenrir, I know that you enjoy your jokes, but… I am not entirely sure whether or not you are joking about ‘fluffy sweaters’ being more important than peace.”

“I am absolutely serious.”

“Just ignore him,” Cassiel tells Corwin. “He’d snap out of it if it mattered. But, unless it’s important, he’s going to go to the grave saying that fluff is more important.”

“I – I approve of fluff being more important!” Azalabulia declares. “Peace is boring! Fluff, but mainly destruction and slaughter, are way better!”

“Haven’t you realized yet that you’re dating the wrong boyfriend if you really want all of that?”

“Just let me pretend…”

Cassiel sighs and says, “Alright. Fluff and destruction are more important than peace. Understand, Corwin?”

“I am not sure that I could ever understand, but I suppose that it is fine,” Corwin says. “I have also finished loading the wagons, so we can head back now.

“Seriously?” Fenrir asks. “How’d you finish loading them already?”

“It would appear that work is much more efficient when I am not being distracted by your antics. A-ah, I mean no offense! I just mean that, when it is quiet, I am able to focus better.”

“So, basically, you don’t like us being around?”

“That is not what I meant! Please, Fenrir, do not misunderstand me. I promise that—”

“I’m just messing with you. Don’t worry about it.”

“A-ah… I see. Yes, that makes sense,” Corwin says with a light blush on his cheeks.

“Cute,” Serra says.

“Hey, I thought you only had eyes for other girls?” Fenrir asks.

“I don’t mean that kind of cute. Cor is like a cute puppy cute. You’re an ‘I want to dominate you’ kind of cute.”

“Your honesty and bluntness still impress me. I’d like to see you try to be like your usual self in front of a big crowd, though.”

Serra blushes and pulls down on her hat to hide her face. Even just the thought of acting like her usual self, while in front of any large crowd of people she doesn’t know, is enough to embarrass her.

“You’re so cute,” Fenrir teases her, patting her on the top of her head. All he gets in response is some sort of embarrassed combination of a whine and a mumble.

Now, with two wagons full of rock and ore, and seven wooly creatures walking alongside the wagons, the group returns to the site of their growing base.

“You’re pretty good at this sort of stuff, aren’t ya?” Tabitha asks Nell after getting input on how to design everything to look nice.

“Please, I only have a passing interest in design!” Nell replies.

“Nah, you’re seriously good at this,” Rao says.

“Yeah, Nell Nell, you’re impressive,” Oleander says, out of breath and wiping the sweat off of his forehead. Seeing as how he’s the only non-creative one here, he’s been doing most of the manual labor as the others plan and discuss.

“You stop that, Olly. You are going to make me blush!” Nell says.

“Seriously,” Tabitha says, “I’ll admit that I ain’t any good at the… makin’-things-look-nice part of engineerin’. I can make things work, but I’m out of luck if I have to make somethin’ look nice.”

“Yeah, I know the feeling. I can make sure things are sturdy and built right to last any day, but making them look nice in the process? Nah. No idea how,” Rao explains.

“This place would probably look like a bunch of different designs with no theme if it wasn’t for you, Nell Nell,” Oleander says.

“I said you’re going to make me blush!” Nell says, already blushing. “I – I just like to make sure that everything looks pretty. Besides, who does not love Victorian gothic architecture? I am sure that my hero would approve of the style as well!”

“Well, it’ll be a while before we get anythin’ really lookin’ all theme-y like that, but it’ll happen in time. We’re just goin’ to need some more hands to help out around here,” Tabitha says.

“We might be able to get some help from the guys up north,” Oleander says. “I think they’re all kind of bored there whenever they’re not fishing or playing card games, so they might appreciate having something to do.”

“Hey, wait,” Rao says. “We’re planning on building a city and all that… but how are we, you know, going to get people to actually move here?” I mean, there are already other cities around, and they’re pretty small and unpopular. What’s going to make people want to move to ours?”

“Well, me and the newest gal both want to make ourselves an evil tower that doubles as a rocket to blast off into space, so that would probably attract people,” Tabitha suggests.

“We might be out of luck,” Oleander admits.

“I do not believe that there is any need to worry!” Nell says. “I am sure that my hero will think of something. After all, it was his idea in the first place! He surely has plans thought out already.”

“Do ya really think that?” Tabitha asks.

“W-well…”

“I am so going to have Nell make me an entire outfit made out of this fluff,” Fenrir says.

68