4. Renting a Room
359 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With ample money in his pockets, Dave will no longer be stingy with himself. He ordered himself a sumptuous meal in one of the high-end restaurants next to the potion shop he visited. The mashed potatoes, bread, and meat soup nearly made him cry on the spot. Davian, the third prince, hadn’t eaten such a delicious dish in a long time. His taste buds relished the flavorful dishes.

Together with the tip to the waiter, the meal only cost him 50 crystals. Dave didn’t regret paying the money. He had a reputation of being a foodie among his peers. Half of his monthly budget would go to this hobby. The only other thing that came close to his love for food was his obsession with tea. After coming out of the eatery, he quickly found a tea stall and ordered a cup.

‘Next, I need to find a good place to stay.’ Dave took a sip from his cup. The familiar fragrance of the tea leaves soothed his nerves and gave his mind a much-needed clearance. ‘I don’t want to live in that pigsty even for a single extra second,’ He thought decisively.

His current residence was in the slums close to the drainage system of the town. Twenty-four hours a day, the foul smell of the fermenting drain water would dominate the air. It was really uncomfortable to stay there. He had to praise the prince’s determination for sticking there for so long. Not to mention, the stench was the least of his worries. That place was a den to all kinds of vile characters and even spies from neighboring empires.

After finishing his tea, Dave began scouring the west part of town. Since the border between Sulos and Marvella was to the east, the west and south sides had become the thriving spot for residents. As for the north, it was the place for military barracks and other government buildings.

Dave’s target of search was taverns—they were the medieval version of hotels. There were a few reasons behind his unwillingness to rent a lodge. First, he didn’t have many personal possessions. Second, he wasn’t willing to waste time on cooking and other miscellaneous chores. Besides, the [Betrayer of Kingdom] title was a ticking time bomb. If he gets caught, he might face immediate death. Avoiding anything that required his identity verification was a must.

After walking for a while, he arrived at his destination. The Empty Cup. A tavern boasting spacious rooms, good sanitation, and delicious food. The third prince had some impression of this place. Once in a while, his ‘roommate’ would boast about making a killing near this place. Since only rich merchants and loaded adventurers frequent this place.

A strong smell of alcohol, upbeat music, and loud cheerings slapped Dave in his face when he opened the door to one of the most popular taverns in Krill. His entry didn’t attract anyone’s attention—they continued to enjoy their good time.

The transmigrator stopped and took in his surroundings. Adventurers in colorful armors boasted about their tales to eager listeners. Merchants wearing shiny jewels were busy discussing business with their partners, and waitresses in skimpy dresses busily rushed from table to table, trying to complete the orders. The spectacle inside was as he had imagined, rowdy.

Dave navigated through the sea of people having a good time and arrived at the barkeep’s table. A middle-aged man with copper red hair was wiping a glass with a piece of cloth. The buttons of his white shirt struggled to keep themselves intact around his protruding belly.

“What can I help you with?” The barkeep asked. His voice was deep and gruff. His thick arms—even thicker than Dave’s thighs—delicately held the glass and wiped them clean. His green eyes trailed on the transmigrator, waiting for him to make his order.

Instinctively, Dave avoided making an eye contact with him. The royal family of Marvella had one of the unique shades of pupils—deep brown resembling the color of the soil. Ever since his fugitive life began, the third prince would rarely look at anyone in the eye.

“I want to rent a room. Longterm.” Dave said, looking at the glass in his hands with interest. It was for the briefest second, but he had noticed a tattoo of a wolf on the man’s ring finger.

“100 crystals per day, excluding food.” The barkeep said professionally, mentioning the price before anything else. He turned around, opened the glass door to the shelf behind him, and put the glass away.

“Okay,” Dave agreed. Rummaging through his pockets, he took out a leather pouch. From within, he counted exactly ten red crystal coins and placed them on the table. The currency of Marvella was the Crystal.

Ten blue crystal coins make one red crystal coin. Following that, fifty red crystal coins make one red crystal card. Five red crystal cards make one yellow crystal coin. One hundred yellow crystal coins make one yellow crystal card. Lastly, a thousand such yellow crystal cards make one purple crystal coin—the highest denomination of currency.

The barkeep took the coins and put them inside a drawer below the table. Then, from another drawer, he took out a shiny silver-like key. “Your room is second to the one next to the stairs,” He said, pointing upwards. “On the left side,” he added.

“Thank you,” Dave nodded at the man with a smile. The flight of stairs leading to the first floor of the tavern was on the right side of the barkeep’s table. Without wasting any more time, he made his way up—to his new room.

“You’re welcome. I’m Oliver, by the way.” The barkeep introduced himself.

“I’m Dave. Nice to meet you.”

XXX

It was easy to spot his room. There were only eight rooms in total—four on either side. Dave entered the key into the keyhole and twisted it to the left. After a dull clicking sound, he turned the knob to the right and pushed the door open.

The room was relatively spacious. The walls were painted yellow, and the floorings were made from wood. The window facing towards the north of the town was the only source of ventilation and light. A wooden bed was laying next to the window. A round table with two chairs around it sat towards the foot of the bed. Although a bit bland, still far better than his previous house.

Dave peeked at the sky from the window. It was a bit after noon and still far from the evening. A frown appeared on his face as the inconvenience of not having a clock made itself known. This new world did have the concept of a clock—they, however, were expensive. Only wealthy people and royalties could afford them.

‘I’ll buy a clock next time,’ Dave decided. There was still a lot of time left before he have to return to his hut in the slums. The rest of the items he had exchanged from Sephirot world were left there. Although his hut-mate was a trustworthy person, Dave still didn’t want to take any chances.

‘Speaking of hut-mate, that man… should I tell him the truth?’ Dave felt conflicted in his heart. That man had helped the third prince a lot in the past. They even share a brotherly bond with each other. But he was Dave, not Davian, the third prince. He didn’t know the man and wasn’t sure if he could trust him.

‘Well, I’ll think about it later.’ Pushing these thoughts away, Dave climbed the bed, and lied down on his back. Then, taking a deep breath, he whispered, “Sephirot!”

Familiar darkness engulfed him out of nowhere and stripped away his senses. Following that, a blue holographic window appeared hovering in front of him.

[Choose your account:-]

  1. Human Lv 2
  2. –N/A-

Dave’s lips stretched into a thin smile. ‘Game world~ here I come!’

3