Chapter 10
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No...this can't be happening, Tawny thought.

"Are you okay?" Maddie asked as they exited McCurdy's class. "You look like you're about to puke."

"I thought Professor McCurdy was going to be one of the nice ones," said Tawny, walking with her new friend down the hallway. "But it turns out he's a sadist just like the rest of them."

"Hey, McCurdy's alright," defended Maddie. "He's actually super cool. He just has a different way of teaching than the other instructors."

"But why would he pair me with Dylan?" asked Tawny. "Me? The mousy new girl with the most popular guy at school? It sounds like the start of the world's worst YA romcom."

"Or the best YA horror," quipped Maddie.

"Either way, I have a bad feeling about this."

"I think you're overreacting," said Maddie. "Besides, Dylan and temper tantrums go hand and hand. It's like a force of habit with him. He's probably already forgotten about the whole thing."

"I guess you're right," said Tawny. "I just want to get to my dorm room and forget all about this day."

They eventually arrived back at Mackenzie Hall. When Tawny opened the door, she was surprised to find someone standing at the other side of the room, facing the window. His hands were behind his back.

Tawny gasped. "It's you!"

The figure turned and smirked coldly at the two girls. It was Dylan, looking as suave and mysterious as ever. "Hello, girls. Mildred, is it?"

"It's Maddie," Madison glowered.

Dylan rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Look. I'm going to need you to clear out for a bit. I need to have a quick word with your little friend."

Tawny blanched, but Maddie put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. I'm not going to leave you with him. Wild horses couldn't tear us apart."

"I'll do you one better," Dylan said. He snapped his fingers; suddenly two burly men in suits on opposite sides of the room moved into action and apprehended Maddie. One of the men was so strong he literally picked her up with one arm and slung her over his shoulder.

Maddie beat ferociously on the man's back but he may as well have been made out of steel, he didn't react. "Let me go, you big gorilla!" shouted Maddie. "Tawny, I'll figure out how to lose these guys and come get you, I promise--!"

The second guy in the suit shut the door behind him, leaving Tawny alone with the formidable Dylan.

Though terrified - her heart practically beating out of her chest - Tawny tried her best to play it cool. "Can I help you with something, Mr. Westinghouse?" she said.

Dylan cocked his head from side to side, regarding Tawny intently.

This annoyed Tawny to no end. "What is it? Do I have a huge zit on my face or something?"

"No," Dylan said. "It's just....for a poor girl you're kind of cute."

"Excuse me?" Tawny said, feeling indignant and forgetting her fear. "I'm not poor. I'll have you know my family is middle-class!"

Dylan approached Tawny so that their faces were mere centimeters apart. Tawny could feel her face grow hot from the proximity. She could smell the expensive cologne he wore.

"What did you say your name was?" Dylan asked softly.

His tone caught her off guard; rather than relax, it made Tawny tense up even more. "I didn't. It's Tawny. Tawny Matthews."

"Matthews," he repeated, letting the name hang on his lips. "What's your mother's name?"

"Faye Matthews," answered Tawny.

"Hmm," replied Dylan. "And your father's name?"

"My father is dead," replied Tawny flatly. "He died when I was 3."

"Ahh," said Dylan, casting his eyes downward. Not offering up any condolences.

This annoyed Tawny greatly. "What's with all the personal questions?"

"Oh nothing," said Dylan, meeting her eyes again with a steely gaze. "I just needed intel to see if either of your folks worked for any of my family's companies. It helps me see if we have anything in common."

Tawny's eyes narrowed. "Go to hell."

Dylan shrugged off her words with a quick laugh. "I'm sorry, that was rude of me. Come on, I'll take you for a drive."

"I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"See, that's where you're mistaken," said Dylan. He whistled; a third man in a suit, burlier than the rest, emerged from the closet.

"Now then, Tawny. Our chariot awaits."

2