Ch 56: It’s too much information to digest!
373 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author Note:

I have created a patreon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There you could find 6 chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patr eon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.insta gram.com/finlergost

Thanks to my patrons.

*******************

Julia invited me to live with her and her friend.

But, as the house is quite far from the labyrinth, I prefer to look for an inn that is closer to it.

And, for that reason, I am going to Ozy's house.

Since, whenever I need to know something about the city, I always end up going to him.

Arriving at Ozy's store, I find him behind the counter, as usual, waiting for customers to arrive.

"But look at what the wind has brought! How's life treating you, kiddo?" he says upon seeing me.

"Fine, I guess... I came back to the capital today. It's been nine months since I've set foot here," I say smiling, thinking how nice it is to see that some people never change, no matter how much time passes. And surprised that I don't say anything about my change in appearance.

Even disregarding the physical change I experienced during these months, it's the first time he sees me without the collar on....

Anyway, I guess some people don't care in the least about appearances.

"Ahh...So that was the reason. It seemed strange to me that you didn't stop by," he says with a smile. "Did you manage to find your friend?"

"Yes... But not like you imagine," I say and tell him the story of our journey to rescue Ragnar.

"It's better to love and lose than to have never loved at all," he says, when I get to the part where I tell him about my friend's death.

When I finish with that part of the story and get to the part where I was 'kidnapped' to spend time in the vampire cave, Ozy whistles in amazement at my tale.

"The thing is… right now I don't have a place to spend the night, and it's already getting dark..." I say as I finish telling him my story. "Is there an inn you can recommend to me?"

"Don't be silly," he says, tapping on the counter with the palm of his hand. "You can stay here for today, and tomorrow I'll tell you a good place to stay. I'd offer you the possibility of staying longer, but I know I'm not the best company..... The vapors from my alchemical experiments can have some rather strong odors."

"One night will be more than enough. Thank you so much, Ozy" I say, relaxing a bit now that I know I won't have to search at the last minute for a place to spend the night.

"Don't mention it," he says, making a gesture to play it down. "We are friends, and that's what friends are for. What do you fancy for lunch?"

"Surprise me" I say, remembering the last time I tasted one of Ozy's dishes.....

His culinary skills are questionable to say the least, but he's a golden friend and, as such, I'll eat whatever he brings to the table....

It can't be that bad… right?

"It's tricky to be surprised these days, with all the things going on lately. But I'll do my best!" he says, rubbing his hands together enthusiastically.

"What things?" I ask, puzzled.

"Ahh, right," he says, slapping his forehead, "You must not know if you weren't around until today...hmm, to put it simply, a new continent was discovered."

"huh?"

"Yeah, and 3 new races with their own cultures..." he kept talking, ignoring my comment.

"Ahh?" I ask again, getting more and more confused.

"Orcs, Reptilians, and Therians. According to the information that was disseminated, there is a fourth race on the new continent that has not been seen here yet. But no members of that race were coming on the ship that arrived a month ago. Hmm, what will they be like?" says Ozymandias, thoughtfully, speaking more to himself than to explain to me what he is talking about "Ahh, and it also seems that the orcs are planning to invade this continent and conquer its inhabitants."

"WHAT???? Ozy, please start from the beginning, and slow it down, please. It's too much information to digest," I say in a daze.

"Sorry, you're right. Come," says Ozy, motioning for me to follow him into the back room, after locking the door to the shop. "This may take time".

We step into the back room, and Ozy prepares two cups of lavender tea.

Hmm, the nostalgic scent of lavender wafts over me as Ozy sets the cups on the table.

I have to remember to ask him for a good supply of tea bags before I leave for the inn.

...

According to Ozy's story, a month ago a ship arrived across the sea from the west, bringing a group of people of various races that were previously unknown.

The leader of the group, Charity, who is a woman of the orc race, was looking for the leaders of the city to warn us about the danger that, according to her, was looming over us.

For her race was preparing a fleet of ships to conquer our continent.

But, as they had not yet ascertained the existence of our continent, they would first send a few scout ships.

The Liones's queen asked her why she acted in betrayal of her people's interests.

To this, the girl replied that she did it because she hates the way her people treat other races.

As her people have enslaved most of the people of other races, treating them the same as cattle.

Having heard the warning from the foreigners, the capital prepared to receive the next visitors from the new continent.

When three ships arrived with ambassadors from the orc empire, the kingdom's army was ready.

Likewise, the Liones's queen received the visitors with courtesy.

However, it soon became clear that Charity's words had been true.

For, although at first it seemed that the foreigners had intentions of cooperation, they also demanded the submission of our people to theirs.

Since, according to them, we are only uncivilized barbarians.

"This, as you can imagine, was not to the liking of the nobility of the kingdom," says Ozy laughing "so, using the pretext of needing to think it over, they sent the visitors away and forced them to leave back to their continent empty-handed. However, before leaving, they promised to return in 3 months with a better offer. One we couldn't refuse. So, from a while until now, there have been arriving in the capital some high political officials from the other races, to talk to the foreigners when they return."

"And they just let them leave just like that?" I asked incredulously.

"Well...there were many who were against letting them leave, but the church representatives said we should try to establish a peaceful relationship. And that kidnapping or assassinating their ambassadors was not the way to accomplish that." He explains to me in a bored tone.

He seems to be getting tired of the subject already....

"I'm surprised you have so much information about what the queen and the nobility talked about with the foreigners," I say with a frown, a bit confused. From the way Ozy tells the story, it almost seems like he has been present at the conversations he has related to me.

"It's just that I rub shoulders with important people, kid. I'm a close friend of the queen!" he says with a smirk. "Nah, these are things everyone in the capital knows. The nobles took it upon themselves to spread the word soon after things happened. It's only fair if you ask me. Everyone has the right to know the decisions leaders make for their people."

"Ahh," I say, finally understanding. "But, Ozy… in the end, you didn't tell me what happened to those who came to warn of the invasion."

"For the moment, they are enjoying the hospitality of the queen. Who is very grateful for the warning they brought her, or so people say. Though, in reality, the truth is that the foreigners did not bring any information that would not have been discovered when the ambassadors from the orc empire arrived. But I guess there is more information that is not being revealed to the common people...Anyway, I'm going to prepare something to eat," says Ozy getting up from his chair. And, heading to an adjoining room, he beckons me to follow him "come, I'll show you where you will sleep today, and then you will help me prepare dinner. While we do that, I'll tell you what the queen's guests look like. I've seen them, and they are freaky!"

"ok…" I say and get up to follow him.

17