Ch 78: I promise
208 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author Note:

I have a patreon page. If you want to support my work, please visit it. There you could find 6 chapters in advance for patrons.

https://www.patreon.com/finlegost

You can find the character concepts here:

https://www.instagram.com/finlergost

*******************

During the 4 intermediate days we had until the start of the quarter-finals, we decided to go to the labyrinth very little.

Since we are going to use the time to watch the other groups' fights, and train lightly with each other.

These days have been one of the few where I've seen Deirdre in casual clothes, and the same goes for her about me, I guess.

All in all, we don't do much other than go to the labyrinth in our daily routine.

But it's a nice change…

At least once in a while.

Today we are in one of the stadium’ stands, watching the fights of the group that is assigned to this fighting arena while eating popcorn and drinking orange juice.

As we were entering the stadium we met Raila. So, she is sitting next to us in the stands.

I don't like the former soldier very much, but I also can't tell her to her face that I'd rather not hang out with her. Because, at the end of the day, she is Julia's girlfriend.

Apparently, Julia wanted to come too, but she can't because someone has to stay and take care of Mia.

And, although she could bring her to watch the tournament, she doesn't want her daughter to watch the fights at such a young age.

It seems like a dumb decision to me, being that she and Raila plan to open a fencing academy. But I guess she knows what she's doing.

"See, kid. Watch those moves. That guy really knows how to fight..." says Raila, pointing to one of the participants who is fighting with a sword and has some very clean and polished swordsmanship moves.

But that's as far as the fencer's good stuff goes, because he seems to focus much more on the elegance of the moves than on making them connect with his opponent…

"Looks like he wasn't that good," I say in a mocking tone when the participant loses the bout.

I don't know if it's because of how she treated me earlier on the first day of the tournament, but I find the conversations with Raila a bit irritating.

"He probably let himself get beaten because he was afraid of hurting his opponent," says Raila with a wise-cracking expression.

"Ahh, right," I say tersely because I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And, lowering my voice to a whisper, I say to my companion, "Deirdre, disregard any of the nonsense Raila is saying, please."

"Oki doki" she replies to me, also whispering, with an amused expression on her face.

"That's it, kid! Take advice from the voice of experience and you'll go far," Raila says, obviously not hearing our whispers.

"How old are you, madam?" asks Deirdre with an innocent expression, emphasizing the last word.

But I am not fooled by her expression, and a smile appears on my face as I realize her intentions.

Indeed, Raila seems to be terribly offended by the question. Because she skips Deirdre's question and looks straight ahead with a frown.

"She must be in her mid-twenties, like Julia," I say to Deirdre, still smiling.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm 28," she says when she seems to pull herself together a little at hearing her partner's name. "Still quite a bit more than you brats have, though. So, to you, I'm still the voice of experience. And I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't refer to me as a madam. I'm not that old!"

"Okay. So... older woman? Since you are older than us…" Deirdre asks, her face awash in purity and innocence.

Azur, who is on my shoulders in his little draco form, and who at first seemed irritated with the hubbub in the stands, now seems to be enjoying watching Deirdre tease Raila.

But, as I see, Raila is getting a nervous twitch in her right eye, I hasten to say.

"I think she means that we should call her Miss or Raila, don't you?" I say, holding back laughter and placing a hand over Deirdre's to signal her to stop with the joke.

"Y-yes, that's what I meant. And now..." says Raila and, after taking a deep breath and averting her gaze back to the combat arena, she continues, "Let's stop getting so distracted by talking and focus on watching the fights, okay? Julia wants me to relate the matches to her later, so I can't get distracted by you guys."

"ok," Deirdre and I reply in unison, as we look at each other smiling.

***

Today we are with Julia in the stands, as Raila has stayed behind to take care of Mia.

At first, I thought that being with her would be much better than being with Raila. But I was wrong.

Julia obviously knows about the expedition to the new continent, and how the tournament is a strategy to find volunteers.

But I didn't expect her to try so hard to convince me not to go.

Apparently, she takes it for granted that I'm going to win a spot on the expedition…

But that's as far as her confidence in me goes because she seems to think I'm very likely to die if I go.

"How is Mia's life now that she can leave the house without any problem?" I ask in an attempt to distract her and thus interrupt the constant drone of arguments she's constantly throwing at me to convince me not to participate in the expedition, which is preventing me from concentrating on the tournament fights.

This question arouses the curiosity of Azur, who had been dozing on my shoulders.

"Fine, but don't change the subject!" she says, and I see a mixture of anguish and irritation in her eyes. "I only want what's best for you, Xel… Please don't go."

"I can't promise you that, Julia. I'm sorry. But if Deirdre and Lilian go, I'm going." I say though I must admit that I am moved by her concern for me. "You must remember that it's because of Lilian that Mia can live the normal life of a girl her age. And, since she's going on the expedition, the least I can do is help her. And the same goes for Deirdre. I've already told you about her situation. What kind of friend would I be if I let her go alone?"

Azur, who had quickly lost interest in the conversation, seeing that I was still on the same topic as the beginning, sends me a feeling of firm support as I say these last few sentences.

It's no surprise given how much the little dragon adores Deirdre.

"Is there really nothing I can do to convince you?" she says, raising her voice by the minute.

"No," I say firmly, and watch as Julia squeezes the armrests of her armchair, which begins to creak.

All this time Deirdre has been quiet.

But I can tell by her anxious expression that she's been paying attention.

I guess she thinks she has no right to voice her opinion… She's like that sometimes.

Sometimes I have to remind her that she's not a slave anymore.

"What do you think?" I say, looking at the little therian sitting next to me.

"I... I think you should listen to Julia," she whispers, looking at the floor, "but… I also want you not to leave me alone. Sorry, I know it's selfish of me, but I'll feel much safer if you come with me."

"Don't apologize. You haven't done anything wrong. It's just the situation that is this... and we all have to do the best we can with what we have," I say. And, looking at Julia again, I add, "See. I have to go."

"That's where you take after my dad… Always running off to help people..." she says slowly, her eyes welling up, "J-just promise me you'll come back. I couldn't bear to lose you too."

"I promise," I say with all the firmness and confidence I can imprint in my voice.

"And I promise to remind him that he promised it to you," says Deirdre, who now seems more animated. And, approaching Julia with a smile, I hear her murmur in a censorious tone, "You know how he is. Most of the time, he only has the labyrinth in his mind."

I can't believe it... How has she the nerve to say that when she's worse than me in how insistent she is about going to the labyrinth to fight and train!!!!

"Yeah, I know. He's a combat junkie," Julia says in the same tone, also in a low voice as she looks at me. And, slowly, a genuine smile starts to appear on her face. For the first time since this conversation started.

"Hey! I hear that. There's no point in whispering to each other if we're so close," I say, feigning indignation, but I can't help but laugh.

Seeing me, Julia and Deirdre start laughing too.

4