S3E5 – Artificially Engineered KCs [#211 Burning Eyes]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kabata Katsuki

“It was this decision… and this day… that, after four years, led to the invention of The Seven Sinners Program.”

The little bare feet stood in the middle of the uneven soil, covered with dust all around them. It was the small figure of a four-five year old who donned black torn clothes on top of its childlike figure. His blonde hair was covered with silt and dust. He stood in the middle of the road, filled with broken and burnt wooden houses on both sides.

The sun was shining brightly on top. The sky was shining blue at the moment, filled with dark rising fumes. The atmosphere was filled with the noise of the footsteps of some hard boots running all around. My past blonde figure stood in the middle, surrounded by the destruction, the hard footsteps, the rising fumes, and dust all over.

The road in front of my small figure was diverging a little to my left some dozen steps away—filled with the debris of wood lying broken on both sides, and shreds of wood and glass lying all over the ground.

“I was from the warrior state of Sataria, a former enemy of the kingdom of Dansamia. After a decade of war between the two sides, Sataria finally knelt down to its enemy… and that’s how we got the eastern borders of the empire.”

“Hey, make sure to capture everyone alive that you find now! Kill only when they attack back or appear dangerous!”

“Gotcha!”

I heard the voices of some soldiers and turned to my right, looking at the broken debris, on whose other side probably the soldiers were. The noise of the running footsteps rose again. I then turned to my front.

“Run… away, Katsuki!” I remembered the figure of a beautiful woman—my mother—crying with a hand on my left cheek. She had tears in her eyes. The wooden house behind her was burning, the crackling of the flames clearly audible.

“In the month that followed, ninety percent of the population which consisted of the Satarian empire was brutally slaughtered. That’s why, today, what comprises the eastern front of the empire is nothing but forests, and some little backward villages in the middle.”

I then turned my head to the front and started to run away. My view was shaking vigorously as I moved all my body hither and thither, running at my full pace. My hands shook front and back, my feet banged on the soil, and my expressionless eyes were fixed at the front. Just as I was running away, my eyes started to fill with tears. Slowly and slowly, the water level in my eyes was rising up, the lump in my throat swelled up, and I soon closed my eyes, continuing to run.

“Even though I was little back then, I knew… that I had lost everyone. With tears in my eyes, I continued to run… and run, and run, and run… straight for a day. But, how much would a five year old run?”

The sun was setting beneath my back as I kept on running on the street filled with debris all over. My legs were imbalanced as I ran slowly. They were hurting. My moving arms and my face—especially my forehead—were filled with sweat all over them. My feet were bleeding as I stepped repetitively on the shreds of glass scattered all over the street. My mouth was panting heavily. “Huff! Huff! Huff!” I was running slowly. I slowed down more, and then knelt down on the ground. I moved my back to the front and thumped my body on the ground. My eyes were heavy. My lids partially covered my eyes. I was sleepy and tired. My mouth was open as I panted slowly. Half of my face was sunken into the ground. I then closed my eyes.

“Huff… Huff…”

***

“Yeah, can you all implement it for me?” A hard masculine voice whispered.

“Yeah, Ishida-sama. The research that we’ve done in the past decade… was all for the country, and for you.”

A brown man with a coffee-colored overcoat sat at the dark table lighted with the only lantern in the house at the top of the table. He had a black pyramidal mustache. He had another confident man, half-bald and half-white mustache, on his right. Behind him were some youth kids who stood with their arms crossed in front of their chests. In front of them, in his usual red shining overcoat, sat king Ishida, silent and looking at them with doubt and danger in his eyes.

“We’re gonna make sure that we’d get the results.”

The king was still silent as he sat in front of the two old men, confidently pitching their idea. “… Just the idea of creating kazi controllers artificially ridicules me.”

“We know it might sound a little… childish, Ishida-sama, but…” The half-bald guy replied in his coarse old voice. “But we need to test this idea out. The curriculum, the idea, the brainwashing—all of it needs to be tested. If we pass, in about four years, Dansamia will see the seven greatest kazi controllers ever born on this earth. Plus, we’d crack the formula of creating kazi controllers in our schools, which would make a really good army for the empire in the future.”

The king tilted his head down, still thinking about the proposal. The two men were looking at him confidently and dominantly, waiting for an answer. The one with the black mustache moved his back backward on the backrest of the chair, folding his arms in front of his chest.

“What do you need for it?”

“A secret place to conduct the classes, fifty bereaved children, especially the ones who have seen the warzone, the blood spilling there, and seen their loved ones dying.”

“Why only children like these?”

The half-bald one replied, “It’s because we believe that the greatest recipe to make a kazi controller is… hatred… hatred for this world, or something else. It’s because our research has shown that the myth of people manifesting kazi occasionally for a short amount of time due to hatred really is true. People can use kazi when they’re angry and full of hatred. And people with constant hatred for this world can… become kazi controllers. And… that’s what we’re gonna embed in the subjects… Hatred.”

0