19. An escort
74 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The merchants were headed south to a bigger town. Huang Lu didn't ask much, they provided food, but nighttime everyone took turns to stand watch. It's usually safe.

It was easy to convince the merchants to hire him, especially after his very public spar with Lady Qian. Some of the lecherous merchants quickly asked how she felt like, to which Huang Lu didn't answer.

"You're in the 2nd realm?" The merchant asked, curious.

"Yes."

"Wow." Most cultivators never got past the 1st realm, though most of these cultivators remained in the outskirts and the rural areas of the nation. Those in the higher realms tended to gather in the larger cities. The merchants gotten a good deal, since Huang Lu was still willing to take the job, even though they couldn't pay him a captain's rate. Maybe next time he'll demand a higher pay, he wanted to see what the job entailed.

The journey was rough, and then they were attacked by spirit beasts.

Two peak 1st realm Spirit Wolves, and Huang Lu smashed both of them with his punches easily. This was where Huang Lu realised how little he knew of spirit beasts. "You should keep the wolves' skin and pelt. Chop the legs, and also drain the blood. You can sell its body in parts, for a small amount of money."

"Oh." He didn't know how to, but one of the merchants did. So, the merchant offered to do it, and sell it, and he'll get the balance.

He really felt like a country bumpkin. Could he become smarter somehow? He decided to not think about it too much, and focused on the heavenly Qi. The heavenly Qi gathered in him, and suddenly, he felt even stronger. He was now in the middle stages of the 2nd realm!

Ah.

The journey took them through a mountain pass. The merchant whispered. "This area is full of brigands. Please help keep watch." The merchants hired five guards, including Huang Lu. Four of them were middle 1st realmers. So essentially, he was the only 2nd realm cultivator.

At first, everything went okay, but then, one of the other guards started noticing traps. They disabled them, and Huang Lu watched intently.

"Well, guess who did we find." Ten brigands appeared. "Merchants. We outnumber you, so hand over the goods."

The merchants looked. "No we won't. We have a captain with us."

Huang Lu looked around, there had to be others that were still hiding. He was somewhat familiar with how brigands behaved, as a street rat. They never went for a full frontal. Indeed, with his heavenly senses, he felt someone stronger in hiding. But still weaker than him.

He leapt, and everyone watched as he surged through the air and landed next to where the stronger person was. The stronger brigand looked in horror as Huang Lu's qi flexed its presence. He once again did his Qi presence, and it pressed on the brigand.

"Middle stages of 2nd realm!" The stronger brigand was just peak 1st realm. He had a poisoned dagger. No, multiple poisoned daggers. They tested each other out with a few hits, but Huang Lu's extreme speed enabled him to land a heavy punch, and the force of the punch knocked him off and down the cliff.

He fell to his death.

The brigands watched the strongest of them fall, and all of them were deathly afraid. They immediately kowtowed.

"Go away and don't bother us." They ran quickly, and the merchants now looked at Huang Lu differently.

It was peaceful after that. Mostly.

2