Chapter 2 (Part 4)
163 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*yawn

“That was a good story.” Apparently, I slept for a few hours as to complete my sleep.

Now, I was ready to take my leave. I got up, and after reassuring that nothing was left behind and I was whole, I walked over to the cave’s entrance.

“It’s scalable.” I said that as I peered out from the entrance. The weather was clearer and it didn’t seem impossible to move around for a few hours. Since it was high in the mountains, I expected a snowstorm to recur anytime soon.

As I was ready to step out, I heard a voice from behind.

“Wait! You can’t go.” It was the wolf giant.

“Yeah, and why’tso?” I replied flippantly. Somehow, I wasn’t feeling the intense pressure I had felt last night.

“I have a favour to ask of you.” The fenrir without much regard for my attitude continued to speak, “I want you to take care of someone.”

What? What was it? Is she giving me an assassination request? But who in the world living now would have had any connection to her?

As I was pondering over such questions the fenrir got up, turned around and showed me its cub.

I was stunned. I didn’t expect it to have a child of its own. And never had I expected her to get her own cub assassinated.

But I understood. It was to save him from the misery the world has him to offer. It was something I learned from both the lives I had lived.

I unsheathed my sword and moved a step forward towards the cub.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” I deep loud voice reverberated inside the cave.

Ugh, here it’s back again. The immense pressure I had felt last night was back to daunt me. But this time, it was much much stronger and intense.

I said, muttered under the intense pressure, in a suppressed voice, “Just as… you…asked…taking care…”

I saw a glint in her eyes, full of fury and contempt, which stopped me from answering any further.

 

Forgiving my foolish action, she revealed, “I want you to take care of my cub until it grows up and becomes strong.”

“Eh-?”, What? What’s it saying? Taking care of offspring of a divine beast?

It seemed a little too far fetched to me, asked her again.

“What do you mean by ‘take care’?”

She suddenly shifted to a friendly voice, affable attitude. “Exactly, what it implies. I want you to provide for him till he grows up.”

“No, no, no. Saying it so nonchalantly won’t cut it. How can I take care of a cub of a divine wolf?” I expressed by irresolution.

“That’s for you to decide.” She said that with slight glare, as if to warn me.

“Besides, it’s not a total loss. If you agree to it, I’ll grant you a blessing with my power.”

She can do that? I understand she must have some perks, being divine. But…

As I was wondering about what she said, she continued, “You can see this region is quite cold and I’m afraid he might die if left alone. I’m in my spiritual form, and I know I can’t last for long…..”

For some reason, it feels like she’s putting up an act, of a poor helpless mother. Am I thinking too much? I wasn’t into much drama in my past life too.

I thought of interrupting her in her bit, “Uhhh....!-” But she continued regardless.

“And the snow wolves I had thought to leave by my child have gone missing too.”

“Eugh!” Those beasts were her subordinates? I should’ve guessed already.

“So? Will you take care of my child?” She looked at me with wishful eyes. But it had deep meaning to it. She knows. She knows I killed those snow wolves.

“Ummm!” I didn’t know what to say, so I asked her what benefits I could extract, “So, what blessings can you bestow me?”

She replied with utmost confidence, “Anything you want.”

“Last question. Why can’t you bless your own child for he survives even after you’re gone. There must some blessing that guide him.”

She frowned at me as if I had said something exceedingly stupid. “There’s no such blessing. Besides, it doesn’t work like that. I can’t gift my own kin with my divinity.”

I began contemplating what she just said. I don’t believe no such skill exist which can guide the user. But her second argument does make sense.

She suddenly spoke in a formal tone, “Please, I beg you to take care of my child after my death. This spiritual form cannot last for long.”

It was formal request, and I had to answer it. There was no getaway.

I waited for a moment, in the sharp silence. And responded, “Fine. I concur.”

I started calculating the blessing I would ask for. A skill? Or some elemental affinity?

While I saw the fenrir making the final words to its cub in the corner of my eye.

She gently walked up to me and asked to put my hand onto her forehead. Overtaken by the dense atmosphere, I kindly abided by it and softly put my palm over its forehead.

I wasn’t sure of my choice and was still thinking of all blessings that could be the best for me.

The fenrir looked at me, but her eyes showed all kinds of different emotions. And the strongest out of those I could make out was agony, that her bond with the cub will end.

She gave me a slight smile, relying on me for the cub, and reassured her with grave expression.

“So my wish is…” As soon as I said that, the fenrir’s spirit dissipated. The ice cave was filled with spirit particles, glowing with full luminosity.

5