Chapter 3 (Part 1)
143 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

After picking up the sleeping cub, I immediately left the cave, wanting to waste no more time in the eerie cold.

Apparently, the fenrir had casted a sleep spell on him so he wouldn’t witness her last moments.  The scene of its mother perishing before him might be a little too frightening for this child.

I don’t even know how to explain the situation to him when he wakes up. Wouldn’t he suspect me for kidnapping him. What if he thinks I killed his mother?  I was wondering all such questions while walking uphill.

I had put the small fenrir in the pocket of my inner clothes. Its size was perfect. Unlike its parent, it could be carried around pretty easily. Looking at him from that perspective, I wondered if he was not fed properly.

The hill was steeper from here on. I had been walking for hours but I still had more stamina than ever. I decided to climb just a few meters up and find a suitable resting spot. The sun was almost set. And it’d not be surprising if this evening was accompanied by a snow storm again.

I looked up, and around me. There were no caves ready to be exploited. However, the weather was in our favour…. or was it? As soon as I made the optimistic remark, the weather began to change. The winds became colder and colder, then there were hailstones swirling around. I started running, without any sense of direction, towards nothingness. But I still found a way. I was running and running, and it felt like I was leaving the storm behind. Even though I wasn’t.

In the dark space, I could see a cave like entrance. I made that my target and went full speed towards it.

“Huff! Finally!” I heaved a sigh as I reached the entrance. I walked in a little and checked back. The storm was as fierce as a moment ago. Since I had aleady found a place, I decided to spend the night here. It was extremely cold, now that I was at a much higher altitude.

I took out the little fenrir from the pocket of my cloak and laid it on the ground. Shivering, it made a movement but did not wake up. I couldn’t comprehend if it was the trauma or the spell but I decided not to bother it. I quickly put the cloak on him, but he was still shivering.

I rummaged through my ring to find some pieces of wood I picked up on my way here. I placed them on the ground to create a small fire.

*zap, zap*

I tried to light the wood with a lightning spell but it was too cold and damp to catch fire.

Meanwhile, I didn’t have anything to protect me from this acute cold so my arms and legs were starting to freeze. My body was starting to go numb and all I could do was keep my head sane.

I tried to use fire magic instead but it was no use. The wood refused to lit up with regular means.

[Everyone that has mana can use basic elements (wind, water, earth, &fire) to a minimum. But people only prefer to practice magic in elements they already have affinity with. That’s why, although I only have affinity with Lightning element, I could use it at least to start a fire. But sadly, that didn’t happen]

“Looks like it’s time to test out the gift I received from Hati.”

Along with the skill I asked, she also bestowed me affinity with Darkness element. I searched through my memory for suitable spell that I learned in carisma.

To activate the spell, I let darkness magic flow within me. Though it was my first-time using darkness element, it wasn’t my first activation of magic. I repeated the process I did with lightning element and quickly got accustomed to the dark magic.

‘Dark Flame’ An eternal flame, said to be hotter than any other fire, and burns till nothing but ash remains. It was the first spell that came to my mind.

I picked up a stick from the casually arranged pile of wood and lit it. It was burning with black flames, however it wasn’t as hot as I had expected it to be. Maybe the hotness depends on the proficiency.  Grasping at straws, it was the only option I had.

I returned the burning wood back to the pile and lit the remaining pieces subsequently. Though it wasn’t able to warm the whole cave, it was enough for the two of us.

I took out the last batch of food I had prepared from carisma. After that, I had to cook up the wolves I hunted and stored in my ring.

I used the dark campfire to heat the food while carefully dismantling snow wolf. While watching the wolf meat get cooked, my vision went towards the fenrir in the corner of my eye. It had matt black fur, which absorbed most of the light thrown at it. And its small stature might make him look adorable amongst kids. It had heterochromic eyes- blue and yellow, making him look more of an outcast.

Huh? Eyes?

It woke up. Maybe the scent of the food caused him to.

He didn’t come towards me, probably scared, he stayed there awake. I didn’t know what to say so I just placed the food in front of him and turned away to finish cooking the meat.

“Arf! Arf!” He called out to me from behind my back. Apparently it had walked up to the food and quickly finished the food.  

“Did you like it?” I turned back to the little fenrir and asked him with a smile.

“Arf!” He responded with great zeal.

“Do you want more?”

“Arf!” He barked in affirmation.

I quickly seasoned the meat and served it to him.

I watched him cheerfully eat while preparing food for myself. He spent no time in finishing a whole wolf. Must be hungry. I knew that they had food problems in this cold weather, but I didn’t expect the mother fenrir nothing. I guess she must’ve kept him alive by providing him her own demonic energy. But it clearly wasn’t an appropriate method to provide nutrition. That’s probably the reason why he’s so small.

I too ate after dismantling another wolf, while the fenrir had already fallen asleep after getting full.

3