Chapter 4 (Part 2)
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a short while, we resumed our venture. This time, the little fenrir took the lead and was destroying skeletons through and through.

From sixth floor onwards, the skeletons were wielding weapons and armor. I guess they’d be referred to as Skeleton Knights.

Though they were weak still, my lightning attacks weren’t as effective as before.

I was repeatedly firing advanced level lightning attacks and sometimes even using lightning cloak to go directly against the hordes.

Soon, we were at the 10th floor entrance. I had no expectations of it but it had a huge door blocking the entrance. Though, it didn’t look like it could be opened by just pushing it like any other door, it was pretty easy to open when we tried.

Woah! “It’s huge. Probably a boss room, if I had to make guess.”

The fenrir was completely blown away and was probably excited to explore the huge chamber.

“Hey, don’t move freely. It’s not a place to be waltzing about.” I instructed the fenrir to walk considerately, and not cause any more trouble than it already is.

I walked just a few meters and arrows came flying at me. I dodged it and saw a something approaching from the other side of the room.

It was shot by skeleton. And there was a horde of multiple skeleton knights wielding different long range and melee weapons.

I countered them with my lightning magic, throwing several lightning arrows at them. But it hardly showed any effect on the armor wearing skeleton archers.

“Get ready to fight, this is gonna be a long battle.”

“Arf!”

Me and the fenrir both charged at them simultaneously. The fenrir had learned a skill, called shadow step. He was constantly jumping in and out of the shadows and attacking the frameworks, catching them off guard.

Meanwhile, I was throwing dark-flame arrows at them. It was a magic where darkness arrows were combined with dark flame at their tip.

It was an effective method in taking them down but certainly not an efficient one. Though they were both basic level magic spells, their combination was devastating for the prey.

However, it was draining away my mana way too quickly and skeletons knights weren’t ending either.

We had been in the battle for hours, but it didn’t seem we were making any progress.

“Looks like it’s finally time to try out this new attack.”

Ever since I received the blessing of darkness element, I have been trying to practice and apply spells that I read at Carisma, while also crafting my own.

I let the dark magic cloak my sword and let it flow freely. When swung, it slashed everything in its way like a wave of darkness, with the same sharpness as the edge of the weapon.

­It was a wide range attack that swept away a large no. of skeletons, cutting down the SK (Skeleton Knights) into half.

 “Alright! Now…” I looked at the fenrir and counted the number of SKs he had left to defeat. It wasn’t so much that needed to be interfered with but still I asked him if he needed help.

He responded confidently and I understood and that he could handle on his side.

After long hours of battle, only a slight few SKs were left standing. Since they were unalive, and probably brain dead, they didn’t know what fear was. Controlled by the dungeon mechanism, they stood up till the end and didn’t back off even when their numbers were dwindling.

Since, it were only few left, I cloaked myself in lightning magic and ran through the SK crowd, finishing them in a final blow.

“Sigh! Finally…” After the really long battle, I finally heaved a sigh of relief.

“You done on your side, right?”

The fenrir was foraging the vast sheet of skeletons he had laid. “Arf!” He replied, assuring me he ended victorious.

“Now… Time to collect the loot.” I stood up and started storing the magic stones in my storage bracelet. Counting on its ability to store everything, I wishing that it had infinite space inside. And fortunately, it didn’t disappoint me.

There was no need to scavenge the weapons and armor of these skeletons as it was already in a rusty condition. So, my bracelet was mostly filled with the magic stones acquired till here. They were becoming less valuable the more I found.

A small structure with a sphere on top of it came into view as I moved ahead towards the end of this floor. I was expecting more of a reward than just magic stones for clearing a Boss room. And I was probably right thinking that.

The standing monolith under the orb had some instructions written on it. It said if I wanted to claim the reward now and exit the cave, I had to put my hand on the ball above, and my wish would be granted.

It was a wise choice to take the reward now and leave the dungeon. Of course, that was the only thing any sane person would do. Who knows what’s up ahead in the next floors? Securing the reward and an exit early was the best approach I could have had.

But I did not.

I didn’t take the reward. Instead, I walked away. I exited the boss room and headed to the next floor. I believed that letting the rewards accumulate was a better choice than exiting, when I still have the strength to move ahead.

But little did I know that this choice wasn’t as smart as I thought it would be.

2